161-in-1 Game Breakdown

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The region depends on the BIOS of your system, not the multicart itself. Might want to look into installing a Unibios to change region at will.

shiffy

n00b
Hi Folks. I'm a complete Neo Geo newbie so please go easy on me!

I am about to purchase my 1st ever Neo Geo system. I've always wanted one since the early 1990's but have just never gotten around to getting one. (cost of AES games being too expensive, or certain AES models give a better picture than others). There was always a reason that put me off getting one.

http://www.analogueinteractive.com/product.php

I recently learnt about this consolized MVS (which I think looks stunning) and I think the right time has finally come for to own the Console I have wanted since childhood.

Obviously, I'm posting in this thread because I am also looking at getting one of these 161-in-1 multi-carts.

So, I'm asking for advice from people here who know so much more than I do. Am I likely to run into any problems with this particular set-up combination of a 1-slot consolized MVS with Uni-bios-3 and this multi-game cart?

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Hi Folks. I'm a complete Neo Geo newbie so please go easy on me!

I am about to purchase my 1st ever Neo Geo system. I've always wanted one since the early 1990's but have just never gotten around to getting one. (cost of AES games being too expensive, or certain AES models give a better picture than others). There was always a reason that put me off getting one.

http://www.analogueinteractive.com/product.php

I recently learnt about this consolized MVS (which I think looks stunning) and I think the right time has finally come for to own the Console I have wanted since childhood.

Obviously, I'm posting in this thread because I am also looking at getting one of these 161-in-1 multi-carts.

So, I'm asking for advice from people here who know so much more than I do. Am I likely to run into any problems with this particular set-up combination of a 1-slot consolized MVS with Uni-bios-3 and this multi-game cart?

A CMVS is a fine idea, but I don't know why you'd want to waste the money on one of those wooden ones. There are plenty of folks making quality CMVSs that don't charge you a premium for the box it comes in. You could be spending that money on games. As for the 161, it should work fine. We've detailed just about everything there is to know about them in this thread, so as long as you've read it, you should be fine. The unibios of course, is awesome as always.

Welcome to the forum, and continue to ask questions if there's something you don't understand.

twysted

n00b
So far so good my 161 has worked good the only thing i noticed is on samurai shodown 3 the music stopped after the first fight.... i am loving it though...

Elerach

n00b
I got my 161 today, and it is awesome! :D

I am playing it on an MV-1 and i ma having some annoying resetting problems, making some of the games unplayable (just a few)

I haven't tried all the games (obviously) but so far i can't get these to work:

Breakers
Breakers revenge
KOF 97 (the other ones seem to work fine?)
Super Dodge Ball
Overtop

I tried changing hard dips/soft dips but no luck.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I got my 161 today, and it is awesome! :D

I am playing it on an MV-1 and i ma having some annoying resetting problems, making some of the games unplayable (just a few)

I haven't tried all the games (obviously) but so far i can't get these to work:

Breakers
Breakers revenge
KOF 97 (the other ones seem to work fine?)
Super Dodge Ball
Overtop

I tried changing hard dips/soft dips but no luck.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I have the same problem with SDB on my MV1. Random resets. Oddly, I can play it for hours on my MVS converter with no probs at all. I will try to test out some of the other games you listed. Been meaning to check it out more with a multimeter, but the tests I have done so far have pointed to it not being a voltage problem.

Any issues with Kizuna Encounter?

You might want to check out the first two Samurai Shodown games. I find the multicart versions unacceptable for different reasons. The music is all goofy in SS2. In SS1, when playing against the computer, Kyoshiro vanishes when he does his qcb+K move. Try those and see if you notice anything.

Since I added a unibios, I at least get an error code with SDB. Been meaning to check with Raz to see if he has any insights. Don't forget that your bios is socketed, so you could just pop the old one out with a screwdriver and pop the new one in.

Keep a small CO2 fire extinguisher nearby.

So absurd, it's sig-worthy.

Last edited:

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Been running a 161-in-1 cart (jammaboards.com) on an MV1B + SG for the last few months with no issues whatsoever, no flaws no glitches. Almost every game runs perfectly (I have not tested maybe 20 or 30 of the hacks)I've even left the setup running for over 10 hours at one point. Not a single issue. All the games work flawlessly, no glitches no quirks. My understanding is you are not supposed to run multi carts on multi slot boards.

As for -http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?223583- I've not seen that casing on a 150 before. It comes in a banana yellow cart, what dark corner of the internets did he pull this 'killer' cart from?

Elerach

n00b
I have the same problem with SDB on my MV1. Random resets. Oddly, I can play it for hours on my MVS converter with no probs at all. I will try to test out some of the other games you listed. Been meaning to check it out more with a multimeter, but the tests I have done so far have pointed to it not being a voltage problem.

Any issues with Kizuna Encounter?

You might want to check out the first two Samurai Shodown games. I find the multicart versions unacceptable for different reasons. The music is all goofy in SS2. In SS1, when playing against the computer, Kyoshiro vanishes when he does his qcb+K move. Try those and see if you notice anything.

Since I added a unibios, I at least get an error code with SDB. Been meaning to check with Raz to see if he has any insights. Don't forget that your bios is socketed, so you could just pop the old one out with a screwdriver and pop the new one in.

Kizuna encounter seems to work fine for me. Both of the first two SS games work fine for me, although i do have the audio issues in SS2 like you said.

I also found a few more games that won't work:

KOF 99
Prehistoric Isle II
Strikers 1945 + works for about 30-45 minutes then resets

As i throughly test more games I will add them to this thread; who knows, maybe we can find a work around for a few of them.

BTW, I have noticed that even on games where the audio works 100% (Viewpoint comes to mind) the initial splash screen music is really, really quiet and washed out...not sure what is causing that.

*EDIT* In my other post, i said Overtop didn't work; i mistook that for Thrash Rally. Overtop actually does work fine.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
As for -http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?223583- I've not seen that casing on a 150 before. It comes in a banana yellow cart, what dark corner of the internets did he pull this 'killer' cart from?

Exactly. I would't trust a non-banana cart, especially one with a banana label. It's probably a boot of a boot, and either way, it's a total fluke. Considering all the members running these carts, fire-free, I'm guessing that whoever supplied that cart bought it from some middleman trying to cut out the original banana cart makers.

Kizuna encounter seems to work fine for me. Both of the first two SS games work fine for me, although i do have the audio issues in SS2 like you said.

I also found a few more games that won't work:

KOF 99
Prehistoric Isle II
Strikers 1945 + works for about 30-45 minutes then resets

As i throughly test more games I will add them to this thread; who knows, maybe we can find a work around for a few of them.

BTW, I have noticed that even on games where the audio works 100% (Viewpoint comes to mind) the initial splash screen music is really, really quiet and washed out...not sure what is causing that.

*EDIT* In my other post, i said Overtop didn't work; i mistook that for Thrash Rally. Overtop actually does work fine.

Interesting. The Strikers thing is a known issue with MVS converters, so it's interesting to hear it happened on your board. I'll have to try it in mine more extensively. I knew Overtop worked ok, but I hadn't had the urge to subject myself to Trash Rally. I thought Pre Isle worked ok. I'll check 99 also. I've also noticed some flicker in the bottom right quarter of the screen during win quotes in 94.

As for Viewpoint, I've left that running forever and never noticed any audio issue, and I love my homecart version enough to hump it, so believe me I would. If you mean the Neo Geo splash screen, then that's just Viewpoint being Viewpoint. It's Sammy's rendition of the Neo Geo jingle. Certain carts by certain 3rd party devs have different versions of the jingle (ADK comes to mind?). Start up Magical Drop 3 and listen to that.

Last edited:

Elerach

n00b
Exactly. I would't trust a non-banana cart, especially one with a banana label. It's probably a boot of a boot, and either way, it's a total fluke. Considering all the members running these carts, fire-free, I'm guessing that whoever supplied that cart bought it from some middleman trying to cut out the original banana cart makers.

Interesting. The Strikers thing is a known issue with MVS converters, so it's interesting to hear it happened on your board. I'll have to try it in mine more extensively. I knew Overtop worked ok, but I hadn't had the urge to subject myself to Trash Rally. I thought Pre Isle worked ok. I'll check 99 also. I've also noticed some flicker in the bottom right quarter of the screen during win quotes in 94.

As for Viewpoint, I've left that running forever and never noticed any audio issue, and I love my homecart version enough to hump it, so believe me I would. If you mean the Neo Geo splash screen, then that's just Viewpoint being Viewpoint. It's Sammy's rendition of the Neo Geo jingle. Certain carts by certain 3rd party devs have different versions of the jingle (ADK comes to mind?). Start up Magical Drop 3 and listen to that.

Will do. I guess your right. I thought it just sounded tinny, but some of them are in an entirely different key. Anyway, new developments. I was playing some SSVS with a buddy yesterday and forgot to turn off my cab when we left the house; so, it was on for quite a while. Anyway, long story short, i decided to try out all the games that weren't working before and, to my surprise, they all worked perfect! :spock:

I am coming to the conclusion that this thing needs to warm up before some specific games will work (maybe it's the ROM banks?) because i played thrash rally for a good 10 minutes (ew) and i had an hour long game of Super Dodge Ball with no problems. KOF 99 > seemed to be working too...

Im going to keep investigating :scratch:

Keep you updated!

SSS

neo retired
You guys really want to run carts that were assembled by malnourished 12 year olds at some dark unsafe solder stations in a Chinese MVS mill? Help support the fight to end child slavery by steering clear of 100 in 1s.

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
You guys really want to run carts that were assembled by malnourished 12 year olds at some dark unsafe solder stations in a Chinese MVS mill? Help support the fight to end child slavery by steering clear of 100 in 1s.

I knew it those Chinese kids will take over the world! they know how to program and solder at 12 imagine what they can do when they are 20! they will build a Silicon Graphics Station from scraps and sell it as the real deal! :drool_2:

yeah stop buying multi carts and start doing conversions and bootlegs yourselves :shame:

I came to a conclusion that both battles are already lost when asking people not to do it! but in the end the best route is the multi carts, SNK is not making money from this games anymore cause they stopped production long time ago the only ones getting the big bucks are resellers so keep getting multi carts! probably one day prices will drop! at least everyone is able to play games that otherwise could go for hundreds and in some cases even thousands of hard earned mula and worst case scenario other people sacrifice one cart to get another one and that in my opinion is worst!

not because you stop buying multi carts the kids you mention are going to get a better life there is always something else to do on another unsafe place or probably worst! these is not the way to fight that abuse!

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I was thinking about getting one of these carts since I don't have a lot of money for all the MVS carts I want. But after playing one at the Digital Press store, I'm not that impressed. It's the same thing since the NES days. Put an insanely high number in 1 and fill it with some good games and the rest bootlegs. I wanted to play Twinkle Star Sprites thinking it's be in the 160 games, but all I found was hacks and hacks of other hacked games. It's almost a pain in the ass to find the real game in the list. I'd get one if it just had say 100 REAL games and left the hacked games out.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
TSS is in the 138-in-1. Problem with that is you would need mvs to JAMMA and a JAMMA to mvs adapters if you use it with a multislot mobo.

Working in a sweatshop builds character. Just ask Nike. XD

Antinull

n00b
I just ordered a 161 in one from aliexpress for my 6 slot euro cabinet
hope it works :P if not ill just sell it

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
This is no laughing matter.

I already said this
not because you stop buying multi carts the kids you mention are going to get a better life there is always something else to do on another unsafe place or probably worst! this is not the way to fight that abuse!

but you had to photoshop your argument! why not getting really involved with the proper associations instead of preaching with stolen words and fake pics so you can show the world real cases? enlighten the world with a real humanitarian act and more than one will listen! or is just a fake approach?

or worst you are the one actually making fun of it?

SSS

neo retired
I already said this

but you had to photoshop your argument! why not getting really involved with the proper associations instead of preaching with stolen words and fake pics so you can show the world real cases? enlighten the world with a real humanitarian act and more than one will listen! or is just a fake approach?

or worst you are the one actually making fun of it?

dudley_doright.gif

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
This is no laughing matter.

If you weren't just trolling, I'd suggest you start your crusade by boycotting Foxconn, rather than using assumptions, conjecture, and speculation to condemn a company you know nothing about, simply for being Chinese. Feel free to burn your cell phone, game consoles, and computer now.

wired_cover_foxconn-630x860.jpg

Besides, we all know they use the little ones for gold farming.

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
I assembled my computer from components manufactured in the US. Took 5 years, but was worth it. Patriotic posts.