Bibliophile (Waseem Daker) Murder Case Update

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I don't know much about American law but wont he be covered by the Fifth Amendment so won't need to go to trial again about this matter once he is out?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Also does that mean they'll have to find another culprit responsible for the murder before releasing him?

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I hope she is charged with something. I would imagine that someone who is convicted of stabbing a child a shitload of times is treated with about the same disdain as a convicted pedo-bear behind bars. If so, Bibliophile may be doing harder time than most, and this chick would be partially (if not mostly) responsible. And if he is innocent, I hope he can get some sort of settlement out of the state.

Chris

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Good thing I have nothing to delete here. I don't even know the guy, but the case was always light on evidence.

My guess is she is coming forward before it leaked by some other means. she may have been under pressure by someone, and this was better than having someone expose her.
I also think she was probably bullied and coached by the detectives.

At any rate. Hopefully justice finds a way.

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
I wonder what made her come clean? Guilt?

“Perhaps most troubling, we have also learned she has been communicating with the defendant in prison,” Evans said. “This matter is under investigation, but we have talked with the jurors in this case. They have assured us that their verdict was not based solely on the veracity of Ms. Spencer’s testimony.”

D.A. responds: http://mdjonline.com/view/full_story/22162748/article-Star-witness-Loretta-Spencer-Blatz-admits-she-lied-in-Waseem-Daker-case?instance=lead_story_left_column

This Jesse Evans fella isn't having any of it.

SSS

neo retired
Then what the hell did they convict him on? The fact that he's a non-white male with a scary terrorist sounding name?

Their DNA evidence was weak at best and now all of that is called into question.

The kid was nothing more than an emotional trump card.

I don't see how the state has grounds for a case now. Unfortunately this is highly embarrassing for the DA's office, and they will probably let stubborn pride prevent them from doing what's right.

I think waseem is gonna have a very lengthy appeals process.

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
Then what the hell did they convict him on? The fact that he's a non-white male with a scary terrorist sounding name?

Their DNA evidence was weak at best and now all of that is called into question.

The kid was nothing more than an emotional trump card.

I don't see how the state has grounds for a case now. Unfortunately this is highly embarrassing for the DA's office, and they will probably let stubborn pride prevent them from doing what's right.

I think waseem is gonna have a very lengthy appeals process.

Agreed, D.A.’s office were never going to welcome the news (hence my post) but some of those comments I find staggering.

“Cobb Assistant District Attorney Jesse Evans, who prosecuted the case, said he is disappointed with this turn of events, but he is unaware of any legal reason to believe the conviction of Daker is in jeopardy.”

As a ‘star witness’ surely that’s an unsafe conviction? That said if this Loretta Spencer Blatz
character has been communicating with Waseem? A new trial will be problematic.

“Evans tried to meet with Spencer Blatz to talk about her concerns but has not been successful to date“.

Mmmm.

Interesting stuff.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Jesse Evans must be one of the most competent losers in the history of Georgia's legal system, to grip so tightly to the wrongful conviction of a non-white.

As if he's never had another victory.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
“Perhaps most troubling, we have also learned she has been communicating with the defendant in prison,” Evans said. “This matter is under investigation, but we have talked with the jurors in this case. They have assured us that their verdict was not based solely on the veracity of Ms. Spencer’s testimony.”

Ninja Mind Control.

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
I don't know much about American law but wont he be covered by the Fifth Amendment so won't need to go to trial again about this matter once he is out?

I'm not really well versed in the law, but if I understand the situation, the state/county brought the charges against him. If he did get acquitted he could not be charged for the same crime at a federal level. However if the victims family believed he did it, they could file a civil lawsuit as a wrongful death and it could go to court. Best example of this was OJ Simpson. He was acquitted on all charges by the state, but the brown family filed a wrongful death lawsuit and he lost that one. If any of this is incorrect, please someone correct me as I stated my knowledge of the legal system is minimal.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Good morning America.

Analyst says shit don't mean shit cuz that lady is unstable as of late. Blurting out craziness about judge, jurors, etc.

"Everyone hoping it will all just go away".

Lol, riiiiight.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
If he does in fact get out, he might want to consider leaving GA permanently. He'd have to be an idiot to stay there.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
If he does in fact get out, he might want to consider leaving GA permanently. He'd have to be an idiot to stay there.

Exactly.

On a related note, something that always kind of stuck out to me about this case initially is that if he really was guilty…if he really did kill someone – why did he stay there? Why stay in the same area? Go to school there etc etc?

He was from Syria. I believe he still had extended family there. Granted…Syria is probably not the best country to run to at the moment, but surely it would have been better if he was guilty of a major crime here.

I guess my point is that you generally think that guilty guys run…but innocent guys don’t. I know, it's a weak argument, but still something I used to think about.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
He's welcome to bunk up at Casa De Charles. No space for cabs, but I got a home system.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I was thinking we should all chip in and have this waiting for Waseem when he gets back home:

Spoiler:
200px-Raquel_welch_1millionyearsbc.jpg

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I would like to hear Bibs' thoughts on Aero Fighters 3

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Good morning America.

Analyst says shit don't mean shit cuz that lady is unstable as of late. Blurting out craziness about judge, jurors, etc.

"Everyone hoping it will all just go away".

Lol, riiiiight.

Link