Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
the rings 2017

was shit. the first movie in the series is one of my favourite horror movies ever. but every thing that came after it was shit and the rings 2017 is by far the worst.

it's more about a bunch of pretty people in relationships and how they feel about each other rather than a continuation of the ring story.

the acting is bad and the whole movie is predictable with lots of jump scares.

Awful film and TBH the original first film was the only one i liked, sadako coming out the tv set was genuinely creepy.
Not the first time i've seen that done in a horror flic though, videodrome has got a mad tv set in it and also demon's 2 as well.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Awful film and TBH the original first film was the only one i liked, sadako coming out the tv set was genuinely creepy.
Not the first time i've seen that done in a horror flic though, videodrome has got a mad tv set in it and also demon's 2 as well.

yeah, the first film had great atmosphere and a good plot and story that got you immersed into what was going on. but i think it's safe to say the series is dead now.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The Equalizer 2 - This movie is LOL bad. The plot makes no sense. Liam Neeson must have been busy so they got Denzel Washington to play an unstoppable killing machine, very loosely based on the 80s TV show that starred Edward Woodward. The first movie was actually pretty decent but I'm not sure what the point of this sequel is, other than a paycheck. Washington saves a young black kid from the hood life, drives a Lyft and randomly helps people out for the first hour, which is an incoherent lumbering mess. An old friend is put in harms way and he hunts down the bad guys. There's a plot twist you can spot a mile off and a bunch of people die rather painfully. The end.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
It Comes at Night

Really good. You'll be disappointed if you're looking for a classic zombie movie. This is more about the logistics of surviving when you A) can't trust anyone, B) need to avoid contamination, C) still have a sliver of compassion left in you.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Blade Runner (2017) -- Another Villeneuve movie, another Dollar gone for something that is not fulfilling. For one, you won't find any original ideas here. There's a dark, grim dystopia, ripped off from Fincher's Seven, early bipack color photography already seen in Children of Men, two machines giving birth to another taken from Shirow's Ghost in the Shell, a subplot romance with a digital sweetie paying hommage to Spike Jonzes' Her, even Ólafur Elíasson's Weather Project is present and a lot of Scott's vision along with the original film's opening.

But here, the opening contradicts itself. We enter future L.A. by hovercraft, like erstwhile Deckard did in '82, but instead clashing with the turmoil of polluting power stations, we experience zen-like tranquility of solar power. Environmentalism won at last it seems, yet, you'll see no sun and you'll find no vegetation in the entire city, apart from a dead tree and a holographic projection of a woodland scenery serving as a memory. Speaking of hovercrafts, there are not even four at a time up in the air in this overcrowded city.

The excess of population is another inconsistency. There are vast empty spaces around the city and as many empty streets our protagonist K. wanders, to reflect his inner sorrow, yet, the multi-story building he owns a small apartment in, downright overflows with grimy immigrants? Maybe it's just a very popular building, though, despite the year 2049, it has no elevators. So, K. continues to climb the iterating spirals of his staircase each day, to reflect the hopelessness of his existence.

Moreover, the presence of certain characters feels unnecessary. Wright's Lt. Joshi is boring decoration, along with Olmos' and Young's cameos or Replicant's leader Freysa -- erase them from the script and the whole stays unchanged. But then again, you'd be left with the problem to fill up nearly three hours of footage. Yes, 163 minutes filled with a lot of backtracking, where every scenery is at least shown twice. Frames of blank faces taking up to five seconds, each time we see them in a dialogue edit. This film keeps repeating itself till it becomes brainwash.

So, what are we left with at the end? Something any 23 minutes Futurama show could do better. I'll never forget you *KD9-3.7* - MEMORY DELETED.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Mission Impossible Fallout

I watched it last night, and really enjoyed it. Ethan Hunt, as played by Tom Cruise, is involved is a few chase scenes that were great. In one scene he is driving what looks like an older 1980's BMW E28, and makes the car fly around the screen. I would imagine any car dude watching will probably dream of having one and flinging and drifting it all over just like in the movie.

Overall the movie was great, but my girlfriend asked a few questions (think she slept through a bit of it), including "Who is that? Why is that happening? Since they tie in the previous movie you might have to think about what is going on and why. But, the movie does a good job explaining the characters and the plot so it is easy to follow.

I give it an 8 out if 10.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Mission Impossible Fallout

I watched it last night, and really enjoyed it. Ethan Hunt, as played by Tom Cruise, is involved is a few chase scenes that were great. In one scene he is driving what looks like an older 1980's BMW E28, and makes the car fly around the screen. I would imagine any car dude watching will probably dream of having one and flinging and drifting it all over just like in the movie.

Overall the movie was great, but my girlfriend asked a few questions (think she slept through a bit of it), including "Who is that? Why is that happening? Since they tie in the previous movie you might have to think about what is going on and why. But, the movie does a good job explaining the characters and the plot so it is easy to follow.

I give it an 8 out if 10.

I find the MI series to be a little too formulaic. The action scenes and stunts are good. Tom Cruise doing his own stunts is also good. But beyond that, it really is just a lot of fluff. That's why I don't really watch them unless I am at home on the couch with my cell phone in my hands, chatting with Rot. This has been a really shitty summer for movies though. I really miss the time when we got things out of left field like Dredd, which feels like ages ago, but still looks like it came from the future. Maybe the last great action movie was Fury Road.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Haven't seen the new one yet but I generally see the Mission Impossible films as good examples of a "popcorn movie". While people try to defend trash like Transformers and all of the garbage the Rock seems to put out as popcorn movies, popcorn movies are supposed to be well-made but ultimately light and airy. You won't learn about the human condition, it won't win any awards for writing or acting but they're competently constructed and you leave the theater thoroughly entertained. It's not just 150 minutes of loud noises and CGI things exploding between awkward/awful attempts at humor.

fake

15 Year Member
Sorry to Bother You
Pretty good, though I'm sure a lot of it went over my head. I went in expecting Being John Malkovich and got a bit of Kevin Smith's Tusk, which isn't a bad thing - it's hilarious - it's just not what I expected. But the jokes are funny, the movie does some off the wall stuff, and I sympathize with the writer's feelings toward Amazon, Uber, etc.

Adventures in Babysitting ('87 version)
Pretty funny, a lot of fun, and the lead actress is hot. I laughed every time I saw the 9 year old carrying around a Playboy in her backpack pocket. And the "My brother says you're a homo" line was great. It's on Netflix until the end of the month.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Very well-written Ollie, I agree with you.

Thanks, Sage. Despite my nagging, this still could have been a nice sidekick to the original, but one thing in particular makes it deeply unlikable...

Spoiler:
In Blade Runner, there is a deep morality present, but in the sequel it's raped and abandoned. The former good guy, Deckard, a man who had to drink himself unconscious out of remorse after his killing Zhora, is now using K. for his own purpose. Granted, a very important purpose, as he protects his child, yet, the way he does that makes him not better than once Tyrell, who implanted him fake memories, to make him kill his own kind.

Through the implantation of a fake memory, and what a painful one at that, now Deckard first makes K. believe he's human, just to uncover it a lie and destroy that hope afterwards. Would Deckard do that after experiencing what love is through Rachel? What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses his soul? Commerce is our goal here at Tyrell, seems to be the answer, and it seems to count for the "new" Deckard, too.

I can't pity those Replicants a.D. 2049, they're as despicable, as humans are in the first movie.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Adventures in Babysitting ('87 version)
Pretty funny, a lot of fun, and the lead actress is hot. I laughed every time I saw the 9 year old carrying around a Playboy in her backpack pocket. And the "My brother says you're a homo" line was great. It's on Netflix until the end of the month.

i love this movie. great 80's family adventure movie for all ages. and yeah, the Thor mechanic scene was one of the best scenes. "you spreading rumors about me, kid?!" :lolz:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Watch Rampage the other night (the one with Dwayne Johnson, not any of the Uwe Boll masterpieces). Decent enough. Hopefully Jeffrey Dean Morgan isn't planning to just play Negan in ALL of his roles from here on out.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Terminator 6

terminator-6-linda-hamilton-mackenzie-davis-natalia-reyes.jpg

bieber.jpg
Hasta La Vista Baby, Baby, Baby OH, Like Baby, Baby, Baby No

fake

15 Year Member
Uhhhhg. Let it die... Last good Terminator was T2 - one of the greatest action movies of all time. Maybe THE greatest. Should've ended it there.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Haven't really followed it, actually just found about this movie today but apparently this is a sequel to Terminator 2, so the rest never happened. Hopefully Arnold makes a cameo. Maybe they give John Connor a sex change & is now the mexican girl on the left.