Pocket Linker and getting it to work

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
I found a Pocket Linker for NGPC in the wild. The flash cart works, and I've found an app called Pocket Send to send files. The linker itself appears to light up. But I'm having difficulty getting the application (PocketSend) to recognize the linker.

By any chance does anyone here have experience with it?

Also: If I manage to get it to work. Any homebrew recommendations?

Last edited:

Flavor

Saver,
What Operating System are you on? Did you install DLPortIO (mentioned at http://www.personal.triticom.com/~erm/NGPC/ )?

The parallel port linker is a thorn in the side of just about anyone that owns them. There is a new USB linker being developed that ought to work with your flash cart, but it's not ready quite yet.

Oh, and when you get it all working, I'd suggest grabbing the "PD Multipac 12-12-01" that's on the same page as PocketSend. It has a whole bunch of homebrew to try all in one package.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
What Operating System are you on? Did you install DLPortIO (mentioned at http://www.personal.triticom.com/~erm/NGPC/ )?

The parallel port linker is a thorn in the side of just about anyone that owns them. There is a new USB linker being developed that ought to work with your flash cart, but it's not ready quite yet.

Oh, and when you get it all working, I'd suggest grabbing the "PD Multipac 12-12-01" that's on the same page as PocketSend. It has a whole bunch of homebrew to try all in one package.

Yes, I installed DLPortIO. I tried it on Windows XP. I kept getting Pocket Linker Failed to Initialize or something similar. I've thought about trying it on a different PC.

Added in edit: With the AAA Batteries installed the pocket linker does light up and appears to work. I may also try a different parallel port cable.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
A new linker that worked from usb would be awesome. Would it come with a flash cart or would you be required to 'sac' an NGPC game?

Flavor

Saver,
A new linker that worked from usb would be awesome. Would it come with a flash cart or would you be required to 'sac' an NGPC game?

All I can say to that is that there's no good way to make an official cart writable. It is possible that you'd need an official cart case, though.

From what I hear, I would expect there to be a USB Pocket Linker available sometime soon. It could be used with existing carts.

Flavor

Saver,
Tried a second XP PC to no avail. All that's left to try is the parallel cable.

I can't really troubleshoot much, as I no longer have that Bung parallel port linker (I sold mine years ago).

One thing you could check is to make sure your parallel port is set up like you think. In your XP device manager, find the parallel port (or maybe printer port). It should have settings like Port and IRQ. Those settings need to match in your PocketSend.

You might be able to change some of that in your computer's BIOS, too.

Another thing to try is to log in as an administrator. I'd assume you have admin privileges on your XP, but maybe not.

Again, the parallel port thing has always been a problem. If you have an old Win98 machine anywhere, it might be worth trying that.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
I can't really troubleshoot much, as I no longer have that Bung parallel port linker (I sold mine years ago).

One thing you could check is to make sure your parallel port is set up like you think. In your XP device manager, find the parallel port (or maybe printer port). It should have settings like Port and IRQ. Those settings need to match in your PocketSend.

You might be able to change some of that in your computer's BIOS, too.

Another thing to try is to log in as an administrator. I'd assume you have admin privileges on your XP, but maybe not.

Again, the parallel port thing has always been a problem. If you have an old Win98 machine anywhere, it might be worth trying that.

I think I have an old windows 98 laptop lying around. I'll try that.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Bump

Thanks to Flavor for the youtube link.

It's looking pretty good. Hope they (or somebody else) are able to make a flash cart, too.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member

Video of some additional progress. Using the USB linker to write to the Bung cart AND restoring save files to original carts!

Temendt

n00b
Hey,

Sorry for using this topic but i have some problems with my Linker,
I installed the ports but some roms wont be reconized by Pocketsend.
and soms games dont seems to be copied right, lost sprites even worse my metal slug 1st mission wont go past mission 1 (then it freezes) an 2nd mission couldn't be reconized

can i fix this?

Temendt

Flavor

Saver,
Hey,

Sorry for using this topic but i have some problems with my Linker,
I installed the ports but some roms wont be reconized by Pocketsend.
and soms games dont seems to be copied right, lost sprites even worse my metal slug 1st mission wont go past mission 1 (then it freezes) an 2nd mission couldn't be reconized

can i fix this?

Temendt

You're talking about the Bung parallel-port linker, right Temendt?

Man, that sounds like a hardware problem of some sort.

Depending on what Operating System you're running, you could try different software (other than PocketSend). There's a command-line app called PokeLink. You can find that here.
http://www.darkfader.net/ngpc/

I've heard that you can use "ucon64", but I've never messed with it.

I tried to find other stuff online, and since I had problems, I posted the files over here.
http://forum.freeplaytech.com/Thread-Bung-Neo-Geo-Pocket-Linker-Software-UFO-MrFlash-etc

Temendt

n00b
You're talking about the Bung parallel-port linker, right Temendt?

Man, that sounds like a hardware problem of some sort.

Depending on what Operating System you're running, you could try different software (other than PocketSend). There's a command-line app called PokeLink. You can find that here.
http://www.darkfader.net/ngpc/

I've heard that you can use "ucon64", but I've never messed with it.

I tried to find other stuff online, and since I had problems, I posted the files over here.
http://forum.freeplaytech.com/Thread-Bung-Neo-Geo-Pocket-Linker-Software-UFO-MrFlash-etc

jup the parallel port linker :) But i fixed it last night downloaded win 98 for virtualbox and made it work :D

Thanks for the reply!

i <3 my neo geo pocket

Temendt

n00b
BTW got problem number 2 with my bung linker,
i got alot of save errors... when i play biomotor and want to save over a older save game it does nothing.
it freezes the screen (not the sound) is this fixable?

Love