burning turbo duo games

420neogeo

Marked Wolf
Has any one had much luck *backing up* their turbo duo games? I've never really burned any games before and I'm wondering which program to use. Also, will playing these games totally ruin my "laser"??

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Turborip makes perfect rips of legit games. That's all I'm going to say about that.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Turborip to make backups of originals, imgburn at the lowest speed setting to write to cdr. Media is probably the biggest consideration when burning pce games. Decent media written at lowest speed always works for me.

xorthen

Banned
For burning use alcoho l120%. It has proven itself time and time again for every type of game backup.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
As far was media goes the guys on PCFX.com mentioned that JVC or Taiyo Yuden is the way to go.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Looks like I will have to give the Turborip a try then, because, even though I have already burned my entire collection that I owned back in the 90's, I was using the best CDR writers from Yamaha, or Plextor along with using many different settings in CDRWin 3.9x and I always had a perfect backup. But, it's always nice to see what else can do the job, and finding something new to rip the DUO games is always nice to see. Especially if it actually works on the Mac or Win7. :D TurboRip here I come! :)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Alcohol has been my goto app for burning pce and dc goodness.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
As far was media goes the guys on PCFX.com mentioned that JVC or Taiyo Yuden is the way to go.

Yes, I've been using TY's for years and never had a issue with them.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Looks like I will have to give the Turborip a try then, because, even though I have already burned my entire collection that I owned back in the 90's, I was using the best CDR writers from Yamaha, or Plextor along with using many different settings in CDRWin 3.9x and I always had a perfect backup.

Are you telling me you'll bring entire video game collection into your grave?

mikey

Marked Wolf
I just use the free app Burn on my mac, burned at the lowest speed on Taiyo Yuden CDRs. Everything works great

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Are you trying to backup your games? or burning games?

Imgburn always worked for me on burnt games. There's a TOCfix app for Turbo games which helps you correct your dumped games. Let me know if you need help.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I literally just download PCE CD images from emu paradise and burn them to CD-Rs (Maxell Audio brand is what I have currently). My Thinkpad's CD burner somehow supports burning at 4x, so I use that. Every game I've tried has worked flawlessly. Burning these games seems nowhere near as hard as people make it out to be.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member

When I used to own a complete US Sega Saturn collection, I joked I'd be buried in a VGA graded clear coffin.

Fakk2

Ummm... sure, why not? lol Seriously though, I don't think thatt would be possible due to those pesky damn grave robbers. :D Nope, I will probably have it all burned, melted down, turned to ash, and then placed inside a huge urn with me. ;) yeah, what a way to go!

I literally just download PCE CD images from emu paradise and burn them to CD-Rs (Maxell Audio brand is what I have currently). My Thinkpad's CD burner somehow supports burning at 4x, so I use that. Every game I've tried has worked flawlessly. Burning these games seems nowhere near as hard as people make it out to be.

Well, the thing about it is, back in the day before so many apps were available, and before the internet was so full of rips of these games, people had a bitch of a time getting these games backed up from disc's onto CD-Rs due to the vast settings of CDR Win that needed to be checkmarked, which most all burners did not support, which made people create a million coasters, and even if peoples burners supported the options required to burn those games, people were not sure of which options to tick in the settings menu, nor the type of brands of CDRs that the DUO system liked to use, etc etc.. and when the first games showed up on the net, (which some of those are still floating about on the net), many of them were missing some audio from the end of each track causing abrupt ends of vocal's and songs. Also, the data would not be copied properly, so the Turbo Duo would begin having trouble playing the games the further you got in them causing them to totally do nothing when you get halfway though the games, etc... it was a nightmare in the first few years of burning games in general.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I remember those days... especially the dreamcast selfboot issues,

Fakk2

I remember those days... especially the dreamcast selfboot issues,

Oh yeah, the Dreamcast days, Crazy Taxi before the dummy files, and the boot discs! Half the street not appearing in time due to the Dreamcast not being able to read the data fast enough from the non dummied CDRs lol! Those were some fun days!

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Oh yeah, the Dreamcast days, Crazy Taxi before the dummy files, and the boot discs! Half the street not appearing in time due to the Dreamcast not being able to read the data fast enough from the non dummied CDRs lol! Those were some fun days!

That's the damn reason to own original, even it's pricey!!!! :D

incrediblehark

New Challenger
Ummm... sure, why not? lol Seriously though, I don't think thatt would be possible due to those pesky damn grave robbers. :D Nope, I will probably have it all burned, melted down, turned to ash, and then placed inside a huge urn with me. ;) yeah, what a way to go!

Well, the thing about it is, back in the day before so many apps were available, and before the internet was so full of rips of these games, people had a bitch of a time getting these games backed up from disc's onto CD-Rs due to the vast settings of CDR Win that needed to be checkmarked, which most all burners did not support, which made people create a million coasters, and even if peoples burners supported the options required to burn those games, people were not sure of which options to tick in the settings menu, nor the type of brands of CDRs that the DUO system liked to use, etc etc.. and when the first games showed up on the net, (which some of those are still floating about on the net), many of them were missing some audio from the end of each track causing abrupt ends of vocal's and songs. Also, the data would not be copied properly, so the Turbo Duo would begin having trouble playing the games the further you got in them causing them to totally do nothing when you get halfway though the games, etc... it was a nightmare in the first few years of burning games in general.

I remember those days. All of my games were ripped in BIN+CUE with CDRwin, and always cringed when my duo laser would lock up from a bad burn of a game. Probably why I shy away from playing them now. Miss the days of the old PCE Hub on direct connect

Fakk2

I remember those days. All of my games were ripped in BIN+CUE with CDRwin, and always cringed when my duo laser would lock up from a bad burn of a game. Probably why I shy away from playing them now. Miss the days of the old PCE Hub on direct connect

Interestingly enough, the Turbo Duo locked up on regular CD games that were bought from the store as well, even brand new ones, and I sent back more than a few systems to NEC for a refubished model as I always thought that the laser was just crap in them,, and the ones I always got back did the same locking up issues, burned disc or not.

Thankfully, all of that came to an end when I finally got the LaserActive and the TurboGrafX 16 PAC and PCEngine PACs. That console reads discs like tank, and NEVER seems to lock up, even with CDR games, it runs perfect. Arcade Card games load faster than ever, and games like IT Came From the Desert even have non stuttering FMVs on the LaserActive, where it could not keep up on the Turbo Duo system itself.

It's great to own a like new in the box Turbo Duo just for collectors purposes, but, for playing the games of Turbo Duo, the LaserActive is my "go to" machine.

Fakk2

Weren't you trying to sell that laseractive beast Fakk2?

Actually I owned about 5 of them, along with every PAC made for it, some in duplicate, as well as multiple 3D Goggles etc etc.. Eventually I realized that I was getting a bit obsessive in collecting too many of them, so I am keeping one for playing most of the time, one to keep in a box like new as a backup unit in case my main unit dies on me, and the rest of them I am slowly finding homes for, and the last duplicate I now have left I am now trading for a mint new in box Turbo Duo unit for collecting purposes, as my other Turbo Duo units are a bit used now. Thanks for asking though. :)

Last edited:

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
I could not agree more. Turborip is the way to go.

On that point, I feel some clarification is in order as the creator. ;)

There's 1 rare PC Engine CD that has a 4:00 second pregap and TurboRip will write the CUE file with a standard 3:00 pregap instead because it currently doesn't read Q-subchannel data to dynamically detect indexes on tracks... Not good, in other words, wrong... For other system game CDs (SNK, SegaCD) and audio CDs with lots of indexing, don't use it unless you understand the limitation.

Long story short, I didn't have all the research when I started working on this in 2006 and I got it far enough for all but one of the discs (which is a CD-R prototype maybe). A big reason for its creation was related to my translation projects, so you could easily split Ys IV and Xak III into ISO and WAV files, replace the Japanese wave files with English dubbed ones, and get a standard size for the ISO so you could flag the size and patch it to English.

Problem back then was BIN/CUE image file sets used to vary in size with software like CDRWIN, and there wasn't much freeware around (no ImgBurn), so I wanted something free for PCE patching and a ripping style that guaranteed the same file sizes for every track on everyone's computer.

Anyway, just FYI, it still needs more development work to become more trustworthy here and then for game CDs of other systems.

And to that, might as well drop links to the latest versions:

http://www.ysutopia.net/get.php?id=TurboRip
http://www.ysutopia.net/software/TurboRipTest.zip
(The absolute best right now is the test link which is an RC build and has all the latest fixes. Click that. When I rebuild that into a new version, both links will go to the same place, and download the same file.)

So, the latest build above breathes new life into it with default SPTI interfacing to CD/DVD drives and it solves a Windows 7 complete failure issue because (kinda interesting) Microsoft started policing SCSI command packets if you created your own and bypassed their high-level IO codes for reading sectors! They removed this security feature with Windows 8 and forward though... Must've broken a lot of apps, pissed people off I guess, so things went back to working the way they did before. Heh.

But yeah, it's rebuilt/tested for Windows 7's particular needs, tested on Windows 10 as well. I think my internal ASPI layer probably lets it work all the way back to Windows 95, though it's only tested on 98 and ME.

A nice new feature unlike other command-line apps is when you double-click it anywhere in Windows Explorer, the window will stay open and allow you to enter parameters and resume. This is the next best thing before finally making a GUI version.

Most executables that are command-line behave poorly by opening and quickly closing when double-clicked. This forces you to first find the Command Prompt shortcut, then to CD all the way to the folder where you copied it and type its name out to execute it... So yeah, I solved that annoyance finally to the satisfaction of trolls that once barked, "HOW THE F@##$#$K DO YOU USE THIS PROGRAM???"

Quick tips:
Add /turbo parameter for max audio read speed. (Though slow is better, there are no CRC checks for audio data, bytes could change, you'd never know!)
Add /psp parameter to create an ISO/MP3/TOC image ready for use on the Sony PSP via emulator PCEP.
Add /xbox same as above, for the HUGO-X emulator on XBOX.
Add /help or /h or /? for instant parameter list if you wanna skip the ReadMe - it won't close on ya!
Add "/mp3 /turbo" on an audio CD for swift 128Kbps MP3 stereo rips. Game CDs will have the data tracks skipped, but same thing.

Oh yes, for burning, here's an ImgBurn link:
http://www.ysutopia.net/software/ImgBurn.zip

Your anti-virus program won't bark at this link when you unzip. No installer, just copy it to a folder and run, that simple.

Last edited: