Neo Geo CDZ vs. Neo Geo Cart Sys

A

AladdinSane

Ive been meaning to pick up a neo geo for ages now. Im finally getting one. I have the chance to buy either one at about the same price. What Im curious is other then the very long loading times how does the cdz hold up vs. the cart sys? Graphically? Sound? etc. Any help will be greatly appriecated.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
cart,deffo !

cd is good only if you want nam,
and nam only

------------------
27474709.jpg

C

charles

The CDZ's advantage is that the games will be cheaper. However, not all of the games (including all of the newer ones) made it to CD format.

Also, the CDZ is not a whole lot faster than a regular CD system. It just has more cache.

If you can weather the cost of the AES carts, I'd recommend going that route. Of course, you could also buy a Supergun and play MVS games.. but without boxes/manuals/inserts, they aren't as collectible... they are much cheaper though.

Hope that helps..

Maxim

Kabuki Klasher
Well, if you're going to get a Neo just to play the games, like I was, I would go with a MVS cabinet. The games are cheaper, but obviously not considered as "valuable" as the Home Carts.
If you plan on collecting the games, then I'd go with the Home Neo. The Home Carts are considered to be highly collectable do to the inserts, manuals and so on. The only thing is, that these games are quite expensive.
As for the Neo CD, I wouldn't get one. I was thinking I would get one because the games are also cheap like the MVS, but loads real slow. Good thing I went with the MVS, I saw a Neo CDZ in action, and boy was it slooow.

Sure the MVS cabinet may be a bigger expense in hardware, but it's very worth it in the long run. And if you don't have the room, you can always get a SuperGun.

------------------
"Everyone's Gonna Die!!"

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Neo Geo cdz (Jap only)

Pro:

-Superior graphics (cleaner) & sound. The
remixed songs are often better than the
home cart ver.
-Little extras like gallery mode, quiz,
missions, and etc.
-Most cd games are cheap
-Exclusive only cd titles like
Ironclad/Brikinger, Cross Swords 2, Final
Fomance 2 (as Neo Geo is concerened), and
Zintrich (spelling error?)...
-No sensorship--blood, bouncy, etc.

Cons:

-Unreliablilty. Simply put, it's durability is in question. Watch out for those I/O errors. If you are looking for something more dependable, go w/ Neo Geo cd
-Cdz system price can be as expensive as the
home cart system
-Loading. It is fairly faster than the
single speed, but by no means it's 2x
-It displays some older games in Jap only
-If you want to play w/ copied/backup games,
you can't play some of the newer games on
cdz (it's ok w/ cd, though).
-Discontinued. Last released game was KOF

Home system

Pro:

-Exact duplicate of arcade
-Durability of system and games--obvious
since it's a cart based

Cons:

-Cost of newer/ rare games can be
prohibitive.
-Sound isn't too hot (uses mono), unless you
get the system modded or get one of
the Arcades converter
-graphic is fairly decent (w/ A/V cables),
but abit weaker than the cd. Once again,
you can get the system moded, though

------------------
ffmw_terry.gif

"Come on, get serious!"

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
Hey AladdinSane:

You won a neo geo from me off ebay with KOF 94 over ten days ago and I still have not received a single email from you. What is going on with you?

Carlson

dragynchylde

Cheng's Errand Boy
I guess that means you went for the cart system eh?Now get an !arcade! adapter and you'll be rollin'.

------------------

chainsawyak

Raiden's Valet
"graphic is fairly decent (w/ A/V cables),
but abit weaker than the cd."

That line just made me crack up. The picture quality from an un-modded Neo Cart system through Composite A/V cables looks like it's being sent by a goddamn radio signal... It is without a doubt the worst picture quality I have ever, EVER had the misfortune of being forced to live with for an entire week. Color bleeding is more than evident, it slaps you in the face. The colors are wavier then if your TV screen was a pool of water and you dropped a pebble in the middle (that makes sense, right? no?) Yes, you can get the cart system modded, which is a blessing. If Jeff Kurtz didn't exist the Home cart system would be the most pathetic excuse for a videogame system ever. Simply put, unless you want to play Neo Geo games with the lowest quality picture one could possibly imagine (it is sooo bad) you must get the system modded. Hell, even modding the system doesn't make the picture as good as the Neo CDs, there is still color bleeding and bit of waviness in the brighter colors, but it's still a million times better than it was.

Neo CD game's music is not just a bit better, it is amazing in the case of games like Last Blade or King of Fighters. The tinny Neo cart PCM music is pathetic in comparison. I've never seen any game with "reduced" character sprites and all that bull, so unless anyone can show me proof I don't buy it. Like I've said before, I have a feeling that it's just the cart system obsessed people who just blew $1,000 on Metal Slug who concoct rumors like that just so people who payed $40 for the exact same game would feel a bit worse. AlladinSane, 90% of the people around here will feed you that BS, just don't listen to them. The games play exactly like they do on home cart, only they look and sound better. If 25-30 seconds of load time between rounds in fighting games is enough for you to go out and pay 10 times the amount of money for the same game, than that's your choice. Just take the advice from someone who owns both systems, loves both systems, but plays his CD system much more often.

------------------
~~Thanks
Çhâïñ§åw ¥àK
Tempest X000!!!
My Game Trading Zone Page

"Defending the Neo Geo CD until the day I die."

[This message has been edited by chainsawyak (edited February 23, 2001).]

mathieu74

Kuroko's Training Dummy
neogeo cd or cdz suxxx
it's the truth
the neogeo is an arcade system
an ARCADE SYSTEM
between every fight, you wait.
don't buy neogeo cdz

Wan-Fu

Galford's Armourer
I have both a cd system, a cart system and a super nova (MVS) and I would never recommend the cd system to anyone unless all you are interested in is playing the non-fighting games. The delay between rounds in fighting games is way too long, especially when you are trying to learn a new game and you end up losing to the CPU constantly and have to wait 30-60 seconds to try again. This type of thing made me quit playing those games.

As for the picture quality, I have my cart system attached to an RGB monitor and I am loving it. The sound goes through my home stereo system and it sounds awesome. Don't waste your time with the cd system. You will get tired of it eventually and regret spending the money on it when you eventually seek out a cart system.

Atariguy

Hardened Shock Trooper, ,
I think Neo Geo CD is just fine if you can sit through the load times. I have 9 games and don't find any of their load times unbearable.It's one of the best systems ever made. I should mention that I don't have a cart system though.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
chain,mate

you're cool and everything

but it appears to me you're a little bit...
err..shall we say....frustrated?

want me to send you a pic of a cart system?

bet you never even seen one

and oh,about the picture quality,
ever heard of a thing called rgb-cable?

also,the music in nam and viewpoint was so bad they didnt even change it when those games were ported to the cd

tastes are tastes,fuckin fair

but coooooooome on,lad

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
Neo Geo Home System and the !Arcade! adapter, if you just want to play the games. That way you can pick up any game (MVS or home) and pop them in, and play! Most MVS games are under $100, so it will save money!

------------------
Keith

mmlink.gif

chainsawyak

Raiden's Valet
Well, I am a bit frustrated, people bashing the CD system frustrates me. I probably didn't have to phrase it like I did, but I still stand by the cart systems picture quality. Like I said, I own a cart system (maybe you missed that?) and I have a fairly nice collection of carts... I still play my CD system all the time, that's the truth. I've heard of the RGB cable, but how many people actually have monitors they can hook RGB up to? Even if someone did have an RGB monitor it would probably be under 13" which is nowhere near as good as playing it on a normal TV... I've argued about the CD system plenty in the past, I guess that's why it frustrated me so much. I've said all of this before, and I'm just restating it now. The cart systems picture sucks unless you get it modded, period. There seriously are people out there who can stand to play the cart system like that but can't put up with a little loading?

------------------
~~Thanks
Çhâïñ§åw ¥àK
Tempest X000!!!
My Game Trading Zone Page

"Defending the Neo Geo CD until the day I die."

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
um... My neo cart system is un-modded... I don't find the video so bad, but maybe it's because i have it on a monitor. (Amdek color 300) Hmm... could someone upload shotz of Fatal Fury Special on their RGB monitors?? I'm very curious as to whether my Neo video is obsolete. also, i can't really find RGB monitors in the US, maybe i'm looking in the wrong places. could someone help me out?

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
For RGB monitors, http://www.happcontrols.com

As far as CD vs Cart, a Neo is a Neo. It does not matter if you have a hame cart, a MVS, or a CD!
smile.gif
People have their reasons for choosing which system they have.

I agree, the CD system is nice because it came with SVid built into it!

------------------
Keith

mmlink.gif

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
ALADDINSANE:

You have a chance to buy a cart system?
Huh?

You have a chance to get a negative feedback on ebay!

It has been almost 2 weeks since you won a neo geo from me on ebay and I havn't heard from you!

email me asap because my patience is wearing thin.

Carlson
carlson808@yahoo.com
or
carlson_stevens@hotmail.com

S

Silent_Scope

what a stupid fuck that didn't do anything to 16-bit's Ebay auction.
16-bit, just let go if he doesn't care your auction. Maybe he doesn't want to pay for what he won at the first place. No wonder he keeps asking if he should get AES or CDZ

------------------
Silent_Scope
norikos.jpg

My dream girl....where are you?