CDZ needs to be on for a couple minutes before it'll load a disc

ndiddy

n00b
My Neo Geo CDZ has developed a problem where if it's been off for at least a few hours, the first time you try to start a game it either won't see the disc or it'll come up with a read error. However, after it's been on for a few minutes it'll read the same disc perfectly with no errors. Does this seem like more of a capacitor issue, a laser issue, or something else?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
My Neo Geo CDZ has developed a problem where if it's been off for at least a few hours, the first time you try to start a game it either won't see the disc or it'll come up with a read error. However, after it's been on for a few minutes it'll read the same disc perfectly with no errors. Does this seem like more of a capacitor issue, a laser issue, or something else?

First guess is caps. Generally every issue usually starts with caps. The laser shouldn't need any "warm up" time, but if the caps are out of spec that would make sense. I'd give it a cap kit to start. I'd be surprised if that didn't solve your issue.

I've never encountered a console that was disc based that had a laser issue WITH the symptoms you described

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Definitely caps - especially since the behavior changes after the unit "warms up".