run It back .... pats signed Cam Newton

racecar

Strolheim Choir Member
20 Year Member
The pats go and signed Cam Newton :cool: ,will be nice to see him play in the pats system.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
bffb130bd11536feaab5e2391782dfa627-cam-fumble.h473.w710.gif

Cam Newton refusing to dive for a fumble with 4 minutes left in a 6 point game in the Super Bowl.

He thought about diving in there, but then he saw DeMarcus Ware and Derek Wolfe and he made a business decision.

That one play is all we ever needed to know about him. Not a winner, not a team guy.

Brady would've jumped into that pile. Elway would've. Favre, Montana, even decrepit final year Peyton Manning would've.

Last edited:

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
It hurts to say, but I don’t think we’ll have a season this year so who knows whether Cam will actually play a down in the next 12 months. I’m interested in seeing if he can stay healthy and if Belichick can either adapt the Pats system to Cam or change up Cam’s play style at all. I think for health reasons Cam would probably prefer to be a pocket passer most of the time like Brady was, so it might be an OK fit.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Crazy how the Pat's were able to sign Newton to only 1million and up to 8million if he hits the full incentive. He is number 49 in salary for all qb. I'm not a fan of Newton but that just seem wrong. I wouldn't be surprise if he is being paid under the table like Brady.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Crazy how the Pat's were able to sign Newton to only 1million and up to 8million if he hits the full incentive. He is number 49 in salary for all qb. I'm not a fan of Newton but that just seem wrong. I wouldn't be surprise if he is being paid under the table like Brady.

he's paid so low that he could almost qualify for trump bucks like you.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Is there even going to be a football season this year?

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Is there even going to be a football season this year?

I sure hope so! That contract spread for pay is pretty steep. I can’t wait to see how Bill belichicks patriots will do without Brady.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, I'm pretty sure there will be a football season just no fans in the stadium which makes it feel like a practice game. I could picture a shit load of players who can't play because they will test positive for Covid but feel absolutely fine.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yea, I'm pretty sure there will be a football season just no fans in the stadium which makes it feel like a practice game. I could picture a shit load of players who can't play because they will test positive for Covid but feel absolutely fine.
The NFL is actually in the process right now of drafting a Covid waiver to get fans back into stadiums after figuring out how many millions they are losing without ticket sales. Obviously, that's going to go over better in some states than others.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The NFL is actually in the process right now of drafting a Covid waiver to get fans back into stadiums after figuring out how many millions they are losing without ticket sales. Obviously, that's going to go over better in some states than others.

Money over human life.

As if the owners didn’t already have enough money.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Money over human life.

As if the owners didn’t already have enough money.
I've no sympathy for the owners, obviously, but there are thousands of employees under them who need their income, health insurance, and other things that come from being employed, in order to provide for their families. You can't just shut down billions of dollars and expect everyone to be fine.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I've no sympathy for the owners, obviously, but there are thousands of employees under them who need their income, health insurance, and other things that come from being employed, in order to provide for their families. You can't just shut down billions of dollars and expect everyone to be fine.

no, but there are millions who lost their jobs to the virus anyways, so why are we finding ways to protect employment status in an industry that currently poses a real threat to human existence? I would prefer to transition the stadium workers onto assistance, and let the execs just eat their savings.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
What about cheerleaders? Will they be there? Will they need to wear masks???

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
no, but there are millions who lost their jobs to the virus anyways, so why are we finding ways to protect employment status in an industry that currently poses a real threat to human existence? I would prefer to transition the stadium workers onto assistance, and let the execs just eat their savings.

Football poses a threat to human existence?

lithy

20 Year Member
stadium crowds do, for the fans and the people employed to service them in the stadium.

Oh please. A business and political debacle maybe, but even at 5% mortality it is not an existential threat even if every single person attending a sporting event contracts the virus (which also won't happen).

The Black Death had to kill 25% of the world population to have a meaningful impact on the human species and even then it was only a temporary setback.

The equivalent is 1.5-2 Billion people dying. We stand at 500,000 now. So 2M/year if it continues unabated. Even if we give it a decade, it would kill 20M? So less than the 75-125M estimated for plague yet with a world population some 15x greater.

I don't understand these sorts of statements from you, what would you have everyone do?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Oh please. A business and political debacle maybe, but even at 5% mortality it is not an existential threat even if every single person attending a sporting event contracts the virus (which also won't happen).

The Black Death had to kill 25% of the world population to have a meaningful impact on the human species and even then it was only a temporary setback.

The equivalent is 1.5-2 Billion people dying. We stand at 500,000 now. So 2M/year if it continues unabated. Even if we give it a decade, it would kill 20M? So less than the 75-125M estimated for plague yet with a world population some 15x greater.

I don't understand these sorts of statements from you, what would you have everyone do?

You're assuming a linear graph versus an exponential. If you consider that each infected person will infect 2 or more people, the timeline shortens significantly. A fibonacci sequence even.

What would I have the NFL do? Put the league on ice, or, at worst, play games in isolation. Playing games in isolation is a large enough risk factor to infect players, the support staff, and all their families, as well as anyone they interact with outside of the field.

Putting people in seats would require massive cleaning costs, implemented under the shadow of reliable human error, as well as crowding people together without a good system of testing for infection before allowing entrance (no, a laser thermometer and asking if you coughed is not plenary). This is irresponsible capitalism, from a cartel of owners who could walk away from the sport and never need for another dollar, for generations.

lithy

20 Year Member
You're assuming a linear graph versus an exponential. If you consider that each infected person will infect 2 or more people, the timeline shortens significantly. A fibonacci sequence even.

What would I have the NFL do? Put the league on ice, or, at worst, play games in isolation. Playing games in isolation is a large enough risk factor to infect players, the support staff, and all their families, as well as anyone they interact with outside of the field.

Putting people in seats would require massive cleaning costs, implemented under the shadow of reliable human error, as well as crowding people together without a good system of testing for infection before allowing entrance (no, a laser thermometer and asking if you coughed is not plenary). This is irresponsible capitalism, from a cartel of owners who could walk away from the sport and never need for another dollar, for generations.

I admit to assuming a lot, but I hedged several up rather than down (such as a 4x multiplier for an annual death total when in reality, 500k is not a 3 month total but a 4, 6, or even 9 month total depending on where we count the 'start'). The point is, to get to totals that would sound like a threat to human existence things will have to get not just worse than we are seeing, but catastrophically worse. Meanwhile, our county is reporting record case totals, but few hospitalizations and no deaths for at least a week or more I believe. Despite adding a couple thousand cases, we still have just over 400 hospitalizations and just under 200 deaths.

As STK mentioned, your controlled economy doesn't just tell the franchise owners to sit on a roll of quarters and get fucked, it puts hundreds or thousands more people out of work per venue and the immediate area surrounding these stadiums will hurt financially as well even if they aren't directly associated with the team.

I'm curious how far down the list you would go to say who had 'enough' and can be forfeited to the needs of the many. I'm also curious what happens in 2021? 2022? When are we good to go? When we get a vaccine I guess? We don't have unlimited resources and economic harm can be just as devastating as debilitating disease.

I think you're letting too much of your views on municipal funding for bullshit like stadiums (which is bullshit of course), but that seems like a different conversation. Of course my posts are possibly better in the covid thread, but eh.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I admit to assuming a lot, but I hedged several up rather than down (such as a 4x multiplier for an annual death total when in reality, 500k is not a 3 month total but a 4, 6, or even 9 month total depending on where we count the 'start'). The point is, to get to totals that would sound like a threat to human existence things will have to get not just worse than we are seeing, but catastrophically worse. Meanwhile, our county is reporting record case totals, but few hospitalizations and no deaths for at least a week or more I believe. Despite adding a couple thousand cases, we still have just over 400 hospitalizations and just under 200 deaths.

As STK mentioned, your controlled economy doesn't just tell the franchise owners to sit on a roll of quarters and get fucked, it puts hundreds or thousands more people out of work per venue and the immediate area surrounding these stadiums will hurt financially as well even if they aren't directly associated with the team.

I'm curious how far down the list you would go to say who had 'enough' and can be forfeited to the needs of the many. I'm also curious what happens in 2021? 2022? When are we good to go? When we get a vaccine I guess? We don't have unlimited resources and economic harm can be just as devastating as debilitating disease.

I think you're letting too much of your views on municipal funding for bullshit like stadiums (which is bullshit of course), but that seems like a different conversation. Of course my posts are possibly better in the covid thread, but eh.

When we get a vaccine is right. The mortality rate alone doesn't tell the story of people who survived infection only to have potential long lasting complications to their respiratory and vascular systems.

As for the numbers issue, we currently have 11.6m cases, 538k deaths, 6.5m recovered. May 1st, the death total was about 240k. so if we are increasing at a rate 224% every two months, how many people would be dead in 12 months? 13.5m in 12 months, potentially. 1.7B in 24 months. In 28 months of the same rate of incline, we would have surpassed 7b people.

But let's just look at infectivity instead, and ignore lethality. Jan 22 we had 580 cases. 78.6k on February 22. 337k on march 22. 2.6m on April 22. 5.26m on may 22, 9.17m on June 22. And this is assuming that millions of people in China didn't die over this period - they just cancelled their phone subs. Let's say that the infectivity continues at this rate, unabated because we are opening up. Rich people gotta eat, but also, rich people don't want to be subsidizing the poor people, who also gotta eat. Somewhere in August 2021 we would reach the point where about 99% of the world population has been infected. I'm just using numbers from worldometers.info in case you wondered.

So what would I have people do? Slow it down. Take precautions.

What would I have the government do? Put aside the politics on this issue and just focus on the science and welfare of the people. Help people make the safe choice.

I don't care if sports, as a business industry, and all the thousands who benefit from it, have to file for unemployment.