Been away for years, what are my options for Video Converters?

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
I have a personal CMVS that got fried, and I'm working on consolizing a new MV-1C board to fix it, but it seems like my spare NeoBitz board with component video is also dead, or at least only outputs Green. I've done some extensive testing on a Sony PVM and the MV-1c outputs R G and B just fine with Sync, but the Neobitz is only doing green :(. Looks like the Neobitz site is essentially a dead end, and most other places I'd buy a new one are gone, or out of stock. Is there some new option for video converter boards? can you still at least get Jrok converters?

Even the AD724JR chip the Neobitz uses is out of production but I may try to buy some on ebay and see if swapping it fixes things.

What are my options?

Thanks in advance, glad to still see this community going.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
What are you trying to hook the board up to?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Do it have to be internal?

If external is ok, the Shinybow SB-2840 is a great Scart to Component video box:
http://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=220

It's far better than those shit $50 ebay boxes.

Also, you could buy something like the HD Retrovision Genesis II Component video cable and then just add the 9 pin mini din connector to your CMVS.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
What are you trying to hook the board up to?

TVs, of any sort. I don’t need HDMI and the standard Neobitz Jrock composite/S-video/Component outputs are time, don’t want a scaler or line double or anything. I still have the CMVS with default NeoGeo din-8 outputs for SCART to a PVM too.

To answer your question Yodd, yes, it needs to be as small as possible. I don’t mind gutting the PCB out of something larger and hard wiring the input and outputs rather than use their default ports, but it needs to run on 5v and be able to be integrated into a CMVS without adding pretty much any bulk.

@lachlan, I’ll check that out too, thanks.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
I thought the CSY-2100 was a good scart to component converter,

AFAIK, the CSY-2100 is pretty decent. Yodd may have been more referring to the clone of the 2100 that is out there. Those you have to open up to try and dial in the colors. IIRC, by default they're sold with like this overly green tint to the image.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
Do it have to be internal?

If external is ok, the Shinybow SB-2840 is a great Scart to Component video box:
http://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=220

It's far better than those shit $50 ebay boxes.

Also, you could buy something like the HD Retrovision Genesis II Component video cable and then just add the 9 pin mini din connector to your CMVS.

I've got the Shinybow and I concur, its a quality bit of kit. Feels like it could withstand a bomb blast.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I thought the CSY-2100 was a good scart to component converter, how does it hold up to the Shinybow?

The Shinybow is quite a bit better. The colors are quite a bit more accurate, while the CSY even after adjustment was always too strong in the greens. It's worth the extra $30 or so premium over the CSY.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I thought the CSY-2100 was a good scart to component converter, how does it hold up to the Shinybow?

I wonder if this is any good, made by the same guys...

scart to hdmi converter

http://www.cypeurope.com/store/store/app/product/SY-1080SC/SCART-to-HDMI-Up-Scaler-1080P

The original CSY-2100 are good from what I've read, but the clones all have problems with color adjustments since the chinamen copied the designs and took shit out until it still worked for monetary reasons. Original ones are hella expensive too.Most notably CSY-2100 have fixed resistors for RGB vs the clones that have variable potentiometers iirc.

Ste from HDRetrovision took a Shinbow 2840 apart and commented how he was disappointed they didn't make an original design (copied directly from CSY-2100 iirc) but that the quality was still good. Only complaint he had was just minor things like too many OPamps (14 iirc) which seems like overkill lol.

Last edited:

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
that does look nice. always liked the big red inspired fight sticks

Thanks, and luckily the sticks don't get friend when someone plugs in a 12v psu that looks identical to the 5v psu :(. Oh well, I'll have it back up and running eventually.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
The Shinybow is quite a bit better. The colors are quite a bit more accurate, while the CSY even after adjustment was always too strong in the greens. It's worth the extra $30 or so premium over the CSY.

Unfortunately that's probably not going to fit inside my enclosure, also, it runs on 12v, which is a problem as the CMVS is all 5v :( Looks good though, I'm going to have to keep this in mind for some other projects.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I stopped trying to put encoders inside of my projects years ago. I just wire them for RGB and add resistors or whatever when necessary. It makes life much easier.

Finch

Hardened Shock Trooper
10 Year Member
I stopped trying to put encoders inside of my projects years ago. I just wire them for RGB and add resistors or whatever when necessary. It makes life much easier.

If this was going to be something that stayed plugged into my own personal system at all times I would too, but It's gotten a fair bit of travel, and some friends borrowed it, and it was used in a retro video-game tournament, and stuff like that make it really convenient for it to just have an array of standard video outputs, one PSU and no external adapter stuff. At home it would just go into a Sony PVM and that would be EOT.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If this was going to be something that stayed plugged into my own personal system at all times I would too, but It's gotten a fair bit of travel, and some friends borrowed it, and it was used in a retro video-game tournament, and stuff like that make it really convenient for it to just have an array of standard video outputs, one PSU and no external adapter stuff. At home it would just go into a Sony PVM and that would be EOT.

Tell those motherfuckers to get on your level :keke:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
With so many RGB options available, the idea of putting the encoder in the system seems antiquated. Not putting anyone down.