2 questions about own built supergun

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hi,

1. I am using a double pole on/off switch for the +5v and +12v DC lines while the PSU remains always supplied with AC voltage. It gets really warm inside when the fan and supergun is switched off unless I pull the plug out.
Would it be better to route the AC voltage thru the on/off switch instead of DC voltage?

2. The RGB+sync lines coming from the harness pass very near the internal PSU due to lack of space.
Is there a practical way to shield either the RGB lines or the PSU to avoid noise/interference in the video signal?

Thanks

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Many arcade PSUs don't like being powered with no load. Yes, switching the AC into the PSU would be better. Make sure the switch is rated to handle it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If the power supply is external then a dual pole for +5v and +12v is fine but if it's an internal power supply, use a single pole single throw for the AC in instead.

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Which PSU are you using?

I am using MD-9916A without enclosure.

MD-9916A.jpg

Many arcade PSUs don't like being powered with no load. Yes, switching the AC into the PSU would be better. Make sure the switch is rated to handle it.

If the power supply is external then a dual pole for +5v and +12v is fine but if it's an internal power supply, use a single pole single throw for the AC in instead.

Thanks for the replies, the power supply is internal so I'll go ahead with a single pole single throw switch for the AC.

I might opt for a bigger casing to keep the internal harness as far as possible from the PSU.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you can, keep the metal cage on the PSU as it helps reduce heat on the PSU. Also make sure you add an inline fuse that's accessible from the outside, makes it much easier. Just make sure you use the correct fuse value. I've seen some people using 5A fuses on the AC input which is retarded.