Sega Naomi set up

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hi guys,

I've been doing some readings about the Sega Naomi as I am considering to get one.
I'd like to confirm that the below set up would work altogether without supergun.

- Naomi 1 or 2 connects to TV via VGA + stereo
- Dedicated ATX PSU 3.3v / 5v / 12v
- Sega IO board 837-13551-92 for controller.
- Modified controller (how many buttons required?)

Other IO board that would be more suitable?

Thanks

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Sonic_wings2

What's the purpose of analogue CN6 connector / 26 pin on Sega IO board 837-13551-92 ?

IMAG0146~2.jpg

IMG-20170213-WA0004.jpeg

sparksterz

Camel Slug
What's the purpose of analogue CN6 connector / 26 pin on Sega IO board 837-13551-92 ?

That'd be for the games which support analog control schemes. Not too many did, I'm pretty sure Monkey Ball did. I think it's what the driving games like Crazy Taxi and 18 wheeler use as input. I'm sure there are others, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Thanks Sparksterz, this clarifies.

I have wired two controller to the 60 PIN digital port and ensure continuity but P1 and P2 are not being recognized. (even in test/service menu)
After checking more seriously the schematics there seems to be another board for coin meter. Could there be additional boards needed to make the controllers work?

IMAG0147.jpg

sparksterz

Camel Slug
Thanks Sparksterz, this clarifies.

I have wired two controller to the 60 PIN digital port and ensure continuity but P1 and P2 are not being recognized. (even in test/service menu)
After checking more seriously the schematics there seems to be another board for coin meter. Could there be additional boards needed to make the controllers work?

View attachment 42653

I've got a coin counter in my Blast, I might be able to track down what's connected to it. It wouldn't be connected to the I/O though. So I'm not sure that's the problem. Before I got my Blast City I tested my Naomi setup running in a similar fashion but just via a Capcom I/O into a supergun for controls. I've occasionally heard of a Naomi having a bad exposed USB port...not sure if that's the case here or not. Could just be the I/O needs more hooked up in order to recognize it. Do you have good voltages coming out of CN7, CN2 and CN3? I'd assume so as it looks like your LED is on for the I/O but never hurts to check.

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Done/Completed

Thanks again to Sparksterz
I'm done with the interface and this is what it looks like.

Naomi_2.jpg

Naomi_1.jpg

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
@radiantsvgun Yes that's right hence you get 480p and stereo audio.
As for the box itself close up pictures would make it look less professional :)
The most difficult part really is to find the JVS IO board at a reasonable price. Got this one off Buyee for $90 and that is the cheapest I could find.

Adding 2 more pictures.

Naomi_3.jpg

Naomi_4.jpg

lowlight

Kuroko's Training Dummy
That'd be for the games which support analog control schemes. Not too many did, I'm pretty sure Monkey Ball did. I think it's what the driving games like Crazy Taxi and 18 wheeler use as input. I'm sure there are others, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

One game that I own that supports both analog yet is not driving related is Zombie Revenge (49-way stick like Gauntlet Legacy). Additionally, Slashout and Heavy Metal support 49-Way controllers as well. That being said, these particular games can be set to digital (8-way Joystick) in the system menu for the cart-rom.

Last edited:

lowlight

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The most difficult part really is to find the JVS IO board at a reasonable price. Got this one off Buyee for $90 and that is the cheapest I could find.

On that note...don't forget to take advantage of Aliexpress for drop orders as well as MAK Japan. Both have their pros and cons, but you should've been able to get that JVS board for a bit less than that (MAK used to sell the NAMCO 246/256 Adapters pretty cheap, and they use the same interface setup that the Naomi needs).