KOF14 announced for 2016 on PS4

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I might be setting myself for failure but they really can't afford to fuck this one up

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Does any developer really take netcode seriously? I think you're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you think its a priority for devs. Most games dont even come out with half their features and on top of that are broken day 1.

Capcom went with rollback netcode, nrs completely redesigned mkx online from the ground up and went with rollback. Ggpo or gtfo.

I'd say most developers do take it seriously. Hopefully snkp will too.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^ As of right now I think USFIV plays better online then SFV and it's rollback netcode. Netcode doesn't have to be rollback, but it needs to be really good. Playmore has the disadvantage that the western world doesn't really play their games and they bitch the most. At least Capcom has players on all the time in the Western world.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Maybe they are actually thinking about online play and putting no animations in the backgrounds would make it so we don't have to pick one stage like in sf4 when playing online.
I really hope besides making a great fighter they are taking netcoding serious

That would be a really hefty sacrifice to make for good netcode. That also doesn't make too much sense to me as there shouldn't be data about background animations being transmitted over netcode anyways. That sounds to me more like an issue with processing power on the console itself, or just poor coding all around.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Ionno maybe its just me it still comes off as cheap looking. I mean its not as bad as I originally thought it looked but it for sure isnt what I want from SNK.

In a dream world Arc Sys would magically own all of SNK's ips and work all of them in acysys styling.
Not just you. Plasticky. I don't think I'd want Arc Systems on it tho. If Dimps are around, I'd have them.
3D graphics, a strange animal

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I'm content with the style and technical level of the graphics now. I think it looks good enough during gameplay:

And this is from the first demo back in December, so it probably looks better now. My main remaining issues now are more design-related:

- Obviously the backgrounds are lacking in their current state. Needs more animated objects.
- Some character designs look terrible: Terry's long jacket (no, it looks nothing like FF1 Terry), Andy's too thin, Robert's facial hair (outfit is nice though), Ralf's plain shirt ....etc
- The characters' facial impressions. They have this dead look in their face during gameplay

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Maybe im dense but, what good fighters has dimps done sans Rumble Fish 1/2?

Match of the Millennium SNK vs Capcom, Dragonball Z Budokai series. They do a shit ton of anime games, but those 2 are the ones people seem to like other then SFIV & SFV.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
- Some character designs look terrible: Terry's long jacket (no, it looks nothing like FF1 Terry), Andy's too thin, Robert's facial hair (outfit is nice though), Ralf's plain shirt ....etc
Man, you need to save it. The updated/evolved designs are one of the best things to happen. Don't be so afraid of letting the characters change. It's not 1994 anymore.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Man, you need to save it. The updated/evolved designs are one of the best things to happen. Don't be so afraid of letting the characters change. It's not 1994 anymore.

Amen to that. Besides, being a 3D entry I'm sure there will be plenty of other costume options to choose from if something doesn't suit your fancy.

I will agree with you that the facial animations need work, though there are some, particularly when you're on the receiving end of a super move.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member

I'm not against change at all, but if I see something that needs to be improved, I will mention it. I like Benimaru's new outfit and I dig Tizoc's new look.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'm not against change at all, but if I see something that needs to be improved, I will mention it. I like Benimaru's new outfit and I dig Tizoc's new look.

Yeah, I don't see a problem with people saying they dislike the new looks of some of the characters.

Jesus fuck, if someone doesn't like a character design, they don't like it. It's no reason to suddenly tell them to let go of the past.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
kofxiv-leak.jpg

http://shoryuken.com/2016/03/14/king-of-fighters-xivs-entire-cast-leaks-again/

I think the pic itself is fake (judging by how a couple of them using CG portraits from other sources, minor inconsistencies and the background being taken from KOF13) but the portraits still match the early leak, so perhaps some of them are still legit?

Btw, the below are some rumors / speculations I read previously:

- The final boss has the ability to twist time and space, and that's why we have characters from different universes.
- The new hero will be the adopted son of Tung Fu Rue and he will have a similar power
- The story may be centered around the Hizuko clan, hence the focus on China even before the Laden buy out.

Also, if those speculations are true, the new hero could be one of Ron's lost sons, and brother of Duo Lon / Xiao Lon.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
- The new hero will be the adopted son of Tung Fu Rue
:buttrock:

Yeah, I don't see a problem with people saying they dislike the new looks of some of the characters.

Jesus fuck, if someone doesn't like a character design, they don't like it. It's no reason to suddenly tell them to let go of the past.
We go through this same thing every time anyone gets a new look. Or heaven forbid, a new moveset. A bunch of people complain whenever anything changes. Can Iori have a more Freeman style? No, we will not be happy until he goes back to the same overdone Orochi flame bs he had before. Nothing must ever change. "Andy is too thin" sounds exactly the same to me as "the Ikari Warriors are too big" from the last couple games. Get over it or just play the old games where the characters look and dress and play the way you like. We've had enough KOFs in almost identical style to last anyone forever. If they want to give Robert facial hair now, why shouldn't they?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
:buttrock:

We go through this same thing every time anyone gets a new look. Or heaven forbid, a new moveset. A bunch of people complain whenever anything changes. Can Iori have a more Freeman style? No, we will not be happy until he goes back to the same overdone Orochi flame bs he had before. Nothing must ever change. "Andy is too thin" sounds exactly the same to me as "the Ikari Warriors are too big" from the last couple games. Get over it or just play the old games where the characters look and dress and play the way you like. We've had enough KOFs in almost identical style to last anyone forever. If they want to give Robert facial hair now, why shouldn't they?

I agree about Robert's facial hair not being necessarily a bad change, but he still looks terrible. I'm not asking to roll back to previous version. I'm asking to improve his look. Andy's current thin look is more in line with what we had in pre-KOF12 versions, which looks even more stale now in 3D. Your argument about change-resistant doesn't even apply here. Personally, I loved Ralf's buff and almost all changes done in 12 / 13 (including Iori's claw version, which I mainly used in my team).

IMO, change is needed the most when you have characters that are too similar, or the current design / gameplay of the character is bad or can be improved. Changing for the sake of having a new fresh feel is welcome if the end result is better than the existing one. Otherwise, if it ain't broken .......

Qcf+lp

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Game play wise it looks pretty good, the character models have improved a lot, although certain models still need work(Kyo, Iori, and King's stick out for me.)

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
CdkcOx8UIAApiSb.jpg

The latest screen has people in the background.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I like where everything is headed, do I want Robah to look like a lesser grade Rico Suave...no, I don't but it's a minor change so no biggie. I prefer the NGBC flamboyant Robah, I don't mind that he was a charger, but that silly ass facial hair is common among the lower class, look at them low class fucks, they all have shitty facial hair...

I hope Robah can have all the outfits from previous KOFs, that would be sick.

The South American team looks like a clump of losers...let's hope for the best.

I wouldn't mind having Blue Mary instead of that random chick with Mai and King.

Another World team...lol

Tung mixed up with some noobs...lol

Geese and Billy with Gaylord? lol

Official Invitation WTF?! lol

Tizoc needs to have his Griffon Mask as a alternate outfit.

It's nice to see new blood and some not so popular old blood.

All in all I'm looking forward to it. Day 1 purchase for me.

Last edited:

Fygee

20 Year Member
That character selection screen has me confused. Some of the artwork is inconsistent in terms of style (compare Vice and Mature to the Women's fighting team), along with using a CGI version of Alice.

Beyond that, if its a fake, its a good one. Its possible that the character list and art are legit, and someone quickly splashed them all together using KOF XIII's background.

I'd be thrilled if the first boss is some badass that chomps on a lit stogie while he fights. That's some classy shit right there.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I think that's just different faces from the same artist, some artist actually can make different faces for a change...the CGI portraits, well, I think it's just a mockup anyway but it could be fake.