CRT Fetish Thread

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I used to have a 20'' pvm, but I hated dealing with it (no speakers) and at the time didnt have room for it. Now Id really like to get a crt for certain consoles, a little larger than 20, but for things like gamecube in componenet or genesis/saturn via HD retro cables. Do you guys have any recommendations? I was looking at the component equipped Sony KV, like a KV32FS12. Sadly I cant find any KD34 XBR's in my state (in FL). Nearest one is in Texas and I dont feeling like paying $800 to ship hahaha

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Just hunt for a Wega with component inputs and make sure it's a SD and not a HD tube. Really most late model CRTs with component are going to be pretty good, if you can't find a Sony look for Panasonic Taus, Samsung, or Toshibas.

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I know these aren't professional pictures or anything.. just quick shots with my iPhone...

The quality sitting in front of you is outstanding. I had to make a few adjustments to the h/v position/center, only by a few notches. Playing it, worth every penny I've put into it so far. I'll stick the SNES on it in a few. Can't wait for the RGB mod board to get here so I can solder away!! lol

If anyone has suggestions on the best way to take pictures to show the quality off, please post away! I wanna learn!!

Last edited:

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Just hunt for a Wega with component inputs and make sure it's a SD and not a HD tube. Really most late model CRTs with component are going to be pretty good, if you can't find a Sony look for Panasonic Taus, Samsung, or Toshibas.

Any reason I would want an SD tube over an HD one? I have a framemeister, let alone some things with HDMI (like my retrousb AVS for NES/famicom games) that only has HDMI out so I would think this would be better overall? CRT depth and color and lightgun ability plus HDMI/16:9 compatibility when I need it?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Any reason I would want an SD tube over an HD one? I have a framemeister, let alone some things with HDMI (like my retrousb AVS for NES/famicom games) that only has HDMI out so I would think this would be better overall? CRT depth and color and lightgun ability plus HDMI/16:9 compatibility when I need it?
They work like a typical LCD HDTV only they output to a CRT instead of flatpanel. Typically the tube only runs at 1080i so everything gets linedoubled or scaled to 480p (so 720p downscales) then linedoubled, and might lose a few frames if deinterlacing is on (leaving it off may not be an option, it was on my XBR800). Analog signals are digitized (again ala HDTV) and not used to drive the tube directly ala SD CRT.

Also due to the lag and digitization of the signals (by the TV or your framemeister) you won't be able to play lightgun games.

You could get a large SDTV with an anamorphic widescreen mode if you want 16:9. I do it all the time on my PVM 2950Q.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
They work like a typical LCD HDTV only they output to a CRT instead of flatpanel. Typically the tube only runs at 1080i so everything gets linedoubled or scaled to 480p (so 720p downscales) then linedoubled, and might lose a few frames if deinterlacing is on (leaving it off may not be an option, it was on my XBR800). Analog signals are digitized (again ala HDTV) and not used to drive the tube directly ala SD CRT.

Also due to the lag and digitization of the signals (by the TV or your framemeister) you won't be able to play lightgun games.

You could get a large SDTV with an anamorphic widescreen mode if you want 16:9. I do it all the time on my PVM 2950Q.

All of this. While a HD tube is better than a LCD for most things game related you lose a lot of the things that are the main reasons people use a CRT to begin with.

They are fantastic for video content but I've never been crazy with how 240p games look on them.

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member

But can an SDTV display 480p content? This is most important for my Gamecube. And lets say I plug in a Genesis via component, the 240p signal gets treated as 480i on an SD set right? So what difference would happen if I plugged it into an HD set? It somehow gets treated as 480p? And this is bad because its not natively outputting that signal unlike the GC correct? Sorry still trying to get my shit straight about this stuff. Ive watched all those "my life in gaming" videos on the matter but they just confuse me more than help. Actually talking to someone greatly helps lol

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
No display works with everything perfectly, you'll have to chose your battles. Generally speaking a system works best with the type of display that was available at the time.

240p content is going to look best on a SD set.

480p content is going to look best on a EDTV or HD CRT. For Gamecube and PS2 I take the compromise of just running them in SD.

Anything newer is best left to a HDTV.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
But can an SDTV display 480p content? This is most important for my Gamecube. And lets say I plug in a Genesis via component, the 240p signal gets treated as 480i on an SD set right? So what difference would happen if I plugged it into an HD set? It somehow gets treated as 480p? And this is bad because its not natively outputting that signal unlike the GC correct? Sorry still trying to get my shit straight about this stuff. Ive watched all those "my life in gaming" videos on the matter but they just confuse me more than help. Actually talking to someone greatly helps lol

SDTV cannot display 480p content. May want to hunt down a VGA monitor and use a YPbPr->RGB encoder if 480p RGB is unavailable. Or get a BVM, 20L5, XM29, from whichever fountain that spews them out. If I cared more about 480p I'd probably get a low lag LCD and pair with OSSC, as long as you're under 1 frame of total lag (OSSC's is minuscule) you're running in realtime as the next frame does not exist anyway.

240p on a SDTV will be actual 240p, non-interlacing and scanlines and all. You're thinking of HDTV I think, many of them don't handle non-interlaced 15khz video differently, so your Genesis would be treated like it's a DVD player.

Dunno exactly what you mean by not natively outputting. If you're thinking something like a console that COULD output 480p (say a GameCube) outputting 480i (ie no Component cables) is bad, that is incorrect, the scaler on the console isn't some "internal Framemeister" type of device but instead something on or close to bare metal which generates whichever video output signal from the console's GPU.

Last edited:

liwer

n00b
My two new Sony PVM, 5 inches and 8 inches, both have RGB and Component.

20171125_215935.jpg

20171125_165027_1.jpg

:buttrock:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I use the rule of thumb..."at least get monitors bigger than your dick"...

Spoiler:
I see you do too...

Last edited:

vasya228

n00b
Why 14L2 + PAL Wii composite cable + 480i NTSC mode = color image,
but 20L4 + PAL Wii composite cable + 480i NTSC mode = b/w image?

vasya228

n00b
maybe you have different sync settings?
How to change sync settings on composite Line A IN ? EXT SYNC is off, component 480i signal is color on both monitors.

Last edited:

Dvdx2

n00b
There's nothing wrong with the geometry. It's never 100% perfect. Yours looks good.

Agreed - that looks great. It will always change per console anyway, so no point stressing about it

That’s what the underscan button is for!

Rugdoctor

New Challenger
Waited 8 years for this to pop up in my neck of the woods. A BVM-2011p

IMG_6998.JPG

Its pretty....but my other sets were not slouches either

IMG_7003.JPG

IMG_7008.JPG

IMG_7012.JPG

IMG_7013.JPG

IMG_7017.JPG

IMG_7020.JPG

All were not possible if it weren't for this doohickey