Proof the Olympics is a huge waste of money.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Discuss...

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/abandoned-olympic-venues

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/abandoned-olympic-venues said:
Hosting the Olympics means footing the bill for the world's biggest sporting event and living with the consequences for a generation. Beijing spent $40 billion to play host in 2008, only to see many of its venues languish. The $51 billion bill Russia footed for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi had fleeting returns at best; its once-gleaming Olympic park quickly became a ghost town after the Games. And don't forget Rio -- the city's high hopes for its stadiums dashed when the international spotlight packed up and left after the 2016 Sumer Games.

PyeongChang's $13 billion expense to host this year's Winter Olympics might seem frugal in light of the gargantuan bids from the recent past. But photos of former Olympic venues in their current states show what the future might have in store when the dust settles in South Korea.

gn-gift_guide_variable_c.jpg

tl-horizontal_main.jpg

tl-horizontal_main.jpg

dNPXbAR.jpg

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I would happily inject krokodil at any of those sites.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
It's a shame they don't get ahead of this more. Maybe have a plan and a budget for all these facilities after the Games. I mean, it's not like the buildings are disposable.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
This idea, stadiums/facilities laying in ruin post-games, has been a running theme on news outlets like Sixty Minutes and Real Sports. There are counter examples that don't get attention with one in particularly close proximity to this year's games --the facilities from the Seoul 1988 Olympics. Supposedly those stadia of thirty years ago are well maintained and in regular use.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
looks like you would be able to find something fun to skate or ride a bike on and huff spraypaint with a bag

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
looks like you would be able to find something fun to skate or ride a bike on and huff spraypaint with a bag

Do you regularly huff paint? Do you find yourself in abandoned stadiums frequently?

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
no. but am exposed, crack your mask a few times a day and thats pretty much that for "not huffing".

jenkem more but thats just when the pipes freeze,yuck.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
China is going to repurpose most of their facilities for the next winter Olympics.
It really depends on the country.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Personally, I haven't seen any issues from the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. Most of the facilities are still in active use.

Interesting comparison...I suppose it's all in the management and planning.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/maps/atlanta-olympic-venues-map

I'm gonna say that most of the venues from the Calgary games are still in use as well. Don't know about Vancouver. I think it mostly depends on the country running the games. For example, the summer games in Brazil looked like they were going to be a shit show from the start with the polluted water, zika virus, and crime.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Sydney held the Olympics in 2000 and the facilities built then are still in use now. It doesn't surprise me with Russia or any other backwards country that wants the attention, the tourist dollars etc to build large and let it crumble afterwards.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Such events are a good reflection of the omnipresent economic inequality: they generate tons of money and tons of waste. If you peel that onion to its core, you'll end up with just another tool of control, i.e bread and games. You'll also end up crying. Surprise, surprise...

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
Is there any actual evidence supporting the supposed economic benefits for hosting the Olympics?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Is there any actual evidence supporting the supposed economic benefits for hosting the Olympics?

I cannot imagine how the math would even work. With costs in the billions...It seems nearly impossible that they can get that money back in just a few weeks.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The economic argument is going to be similar to the World Expo's. The Olympics brings in direct money through tourism; however, the less tangible boost comes from global recognition of your country. Would you do business with Rio de Janeiro? What about after you see they are capable of hosting the Olympics?
Was china investing in Rio's infrastructure prior to Olympics? probably not....

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
They are pretty much begging Los Angeles to take the Olympics because the one in 1984 was such a huge success financially. Which makes sense since LA already has all the infrastructure set up. The Montreal Olympics was a huge clusterfuck and the city got burnt financially, the 1984 Olympics renewed interest in hosting the Olympics. Since then most of the host cities got fucked over again, especially Athens. The Olympic Committee is trying to get history to repeat itself. They should just leave it in Los Angeles.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

In terms of direct benefits, almost all the hosts have come out behind. LA in 1984 was one of the few exceptions. Meanwhile, Greece was on the hook for billions for Athens 2004, and the country was already mired in debt. Events like the Olympics and the World Cup are far more about prestige than making a profit. Whenever you have a backwater hosting such events, it usually ends up being a clusterfuck.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
During the 90's, the 1984 Winter Olympics site go successfully purposed as a staging area for genocide.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
In terms of direct benefits, almost all the hosts have come out behind. LA in 1984 was one of the few exceptions. Meanwhile, Greece was on the hook for billions for Athens 2004, and the country was already mired in debt. Events like the Olympics and the World Cup are far more about prestige than making a profit. Whenever you have a backwater hosting such events, it usually ends up being a clusterfuck.

Ya i heard the Olympics played a significant role in the later financial problems Greece had. The Olympic Stadium in Montreal is a perfect example of Olympic waste. The stadium took about 30 years to pay off and was finished 11 years after the Olympics. Shit tons of corruption and cost overruns with it. The salt on the wound is by the time they paid it off The Montreal Expos had moved to Washington and they now had no permanent tenant for the stadium.

Last edited:

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Those pictures look like an awesomely bad filming location for a low budget post apocalyptic movie, or maybe an arcade beatemup setting.