NGX stick: Big steamer

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
I finally got the chance to use a NGX stick. As someone who has logged hours upon hours on original AES sticks, this thing feels cheaper than cheap. They nailed the look (especially the box, very cool touch) but I was incredibly disappointed with the build quality. It's lighter than air, the ball top is somehow worse than the original, buttons feel like they will pop off at anytime, the cable is like angel hair spagetti. Bottom line, this shit is false.

I don't think the original is all that great either compared to something like the hori Neo stick but it is leaps and bounds better than this shoddy repro. Money saved.

SSS

neo retired
buttons feel pretty close. but I agree with the stick, it feels like something is binding or rubbing internally where the stick pivots. I've got one of those PS2 neo sticks, and that thing is much closer to the original.

Mishran

New Challenger
I noticed with both of my sticks that when you reach the end of it's movement range, there is a extra "bump" like it is hitting something and scraping along it till the stick hits plastic. If that makes any sense. :scratch: Didn't know how to describe it.

Doesn't seem to hinder the controls, but does get annoying after a while.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
How many reasons do people need not to buy this shit, seriously?

bg1188

n00b
I felt the same way when I first used it. Something about the stick is off. Still works great but something isn't right. The buttons feel great tho.

I've played several two-player games with my NGX sticks and haven't noticed any issues. BUT it's been about 20 years since I tried original AES sticks so I can't really compare them.

marvelus10

n00b
Has anyone actually done a side by side comparison, right down to a disassembly of the stick? I would be very interested in seeing pictures, or a video, and a good write up?

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I am glad people are being objective and honest with the NGX as I have not used one yet.
Nothing I have heard makes me want to import one.

Such a wasted opportunity from SNKP.

I hope they learn a few things from the GCW.

i have completely modded the stick with 4 black 24mm sanwa buttons makes it a hell of a lot better, the gauge of the plastic is slightly thinner than the original aes stick i reckon, haven't found a way to mod the joystick yet.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I wired my NGX stick to use a db15 cord. it works okay, but it's over-all trash. I'm highly disappointed.

mungrin

Panko KING,
I noticed with both of my sticks that when you reach the end of it's movement range, there is a extra "bump" like it is hitting something and scraping along it till the stick hits plastic. If that makes any sense. :scratch: Didn't know how to describe it.

Doesn't seem to hinder the controls, but does get annoying after a while.
Wow and I thought my stick was broken. I feel it rubbing as well.

No clue what could be grinding or bumping in your arcade sticks. Ordered mine along with my X from Amazon, got a 337 and neither of my arcade sticks have any of what you guys are describing. They are smooth as can be besides the clicks of the switches being hit. I have no complaints. Oddest thing i noticed was the plastic on the outside seemed to have stiffened up a bit since i got it. Kinda odd.

The stick it self isn't as bad as everyone seems to think, however there are some issues. That binding comes from the plastic mounting plate. If you disassemble one you will see a groove which causes the stick to "hang" in a position until enough force pulls it out of the groove then you also feel the carriage bolt hit the metal restrictor plate. With out replacing the plastic mounting plate or modifying it there is little that can be done. You could eliminate the groove by "plastic welding" new plastic in there and sanding it back smooth or get some model car putty at a hobby shop.

If you have some white grease and some time you might be able to bring it to a level your ok with. They didn't apply grease on the carriage bolt (or not good enough) and it just doesn't move as smoothly as it could. A slightly heavier spring would likely help eliminate the "hang" for the most part, however I didn't have one around to try. If you attempt this or disassemble any plastic items the first thing to know is how to reassemble with out stripping the plastic threads. It's pretty easy but seems weird, when you put the screws in turn backwards slowly until you hear/feel a click. This should be the start of the threads where if you lightly tighten it will go in easy. If it doesn't then try again. Tightening the screws should only be finger tight, meaning that you hold onto the screwdriver with the tips of your fingers and once they slip your done. Having the proper size screwdrivers helps too. If your worried about stripping screws then also have a tray where you can lay out which hole each screw came from as the tolerance of the screws might affect stripping.

To do this you will need needle nose pliers to replace an e-clip, a small flat head or tweezers to take it off, a small Phillips and a large flat head (I can't remember the sizes) plus white grease and paper towels. (Don't get grease on the out side of the stick or the printed letters)

Remove the four rubber feet and remove the 5 screws (Phillips) on the bottom. Attempt to remove the ball (large flat head and your hand), these are glued in so while I didn't have any issue some have the correct size flat head is important. It is still possible to apply grease with out removing the ball, however it will be annoying. Remove all eight screws (Phillips) holding the joystick assembly together. Remove the metal restrictor plate and pull the switches away from the plastic mounting plate so you can further disassemble. Remove e-clip with small screwdriver or tweezers and be careful as the assembly will fly apart if you don't hold onto it. Now apply grease to the carriage bolt, the inside of the sleeves and any other place where contact is made. Ensure smooth operation and re-assemble using the pliers to replace the e-clip. When screwing the joystick assembly back together it will likely be easier to screw the restrictor plate to the mounting plate then screw the restrictor plate to the stick case. There are two unused holes in the metal plate that raised nubs from the mounting plate will poke through. As long as you watch that these poke through everything should be aligned. I suggest ensuring that all screws are partially in before doing any tightening. Just because I had one taken apart I removed the two button assemblys as well and applied white grease to the sides of the plastic on the buttons. After reassembling ensure everything works smoothly before replacing the bottom, then I used the controller for a little bit and cleaned any excess grease from the buttons. If your rubber feet don't want to stick back on then you can heat them up a little with a hair dryer before sticking them back on.

While this will not make any stick perfect it will likely be a noticeable improvement. Take note of how the buttons feel before and after. You should notice a more significant change on the stick especially if you compare how it feels when you pull it up before and after the grease. I'm not sure what weight the springs are to suggest a change but likely if your really concered you would attempt to replace the parts with Sanwa or Semitsu anyways. The thing to keep in mind is almost all $50 sticks suck out of the box (the Age Tec Dreamcast stick might be a slight exception) and need to be modded. A stick that feels good will likely run close to $200 so I really don't see how you can complain on this one.

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Probably already answered, but is there a way to use og neo stick on ngx with some sort of adapter?

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
I have two NGX sticks. One has some of the joystick issues you guys have mentioned and the other feels perfect. That leads me to believe that this could be a quality control issue.

Mishran

New Challenger
It doesn't affect the sticks performance, so I won't complain. If the stick breaks off or prematurely dies from the rubbing, then its on...:hammer:

If this does turn out to be a quality control issue, wonder if/how it will be resolved.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
It doesn't affect the sticks performance, so I won't complain. If the stick breaks off or prematurely dies from the rubbing, then its on...:hammer:

If this does turn out to be a quality control issue, wonder if/how it will be resolved.

Hopefully it doesn't happen on day 91 after your purchase.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The rubbing could be from a weak spring, assuming the shaft is removable, you can add a washer to tighten up the spring to get rid of the extra play on the stick or just swap in a stronger spring.

ronald0

Crazed MVS Addict
I have compared the stick on the Neo Geo X controller to the sticks on the old style AES controller, the Hori Fighting Stick Neo II and a Seimitsu LS-32. The Neo Geo X definitely is the worst of these three in my opinion. "Rubbing" at the end of the movement is present with all the sticks, but are much more pronounced and seem to take less force to produce on the Neo Geo X stick. I haven't opened it up to check out the differences yet. Would be pretty nice if it can be fixed easily by adding a washer as described above.

Neo x

War Room Troll
I agree, I think that the stick is nothing short of toilet. In fact I hate it.

Probably already answered, but is there a way to use og neo stick on ngx with some sort of adapter?

The only easy way I could think of would be a Neo Geo to PS2 adapter plugged into a PS2 to USB adapter, however I highly doubt this would work since most USB controllers won't work with it. I was looking into making one however I can't afford the time for something that I'd only want as a proof of concept item. I don't think it would be that hard though, there is a guy on here that sells the extension cords, who can get you cables with just one end and most of the rest you can likely get from electronic stores like MCM or maybe even Radio Shack. You could always sacrifice a stick to make an adapter if you don't want to look up how to build your own board but that's not as fun.

In reply to comments 19-20, 22-23: I completely disassembled one and posted my findings in post 16. I outlined what I believe to be the source of the issue and different ways to fix it. I still maintain that for 50 US Dollars this is not a bad stick by any means. To all of those who complain I would like to know which $50 or close sticks they are comparing them to or what exactly they find so unacceptable. Better yet I wonder what type of parts they consider proper (different regions prefer different parts). Are they comparing new sticks to broken in ones, or the parts inside or just think because it feels light that it unusable? I have a feeling most people who complain haven't taken one apart to see what micro switches are even used or even know much about who that company is in the industry.

I guess I'm not going to defend any controller less than $200 as it's usually just a starting point, however blind hatred style complaints over a functional replica stick with some good switches, PC and PS3 compatibility at $50 seem like the opinion of someone who really isn't into arcade sticks.

If you are buying this stick for competitions then you likely wouldn't be happy with this, the PS3 Neo Geo 2, nor the original AES. For competitions, stick to customs or the known brands.