Supergun RGB problem:(

Geezer

Quiz Detective
Right, I've wired up the supergun except the controller ports. I plugged it in to check it works but I'm having a problem. I set it up with a slot one mobo and Last Blade. I can't get the image to display unless I turn on my xbox or DC at the same time-When I do the that the xbox or DC image is stable and the NEo Geo image scrolls across the screen. What's the problem?

I've really go no idea why this is happening, someone please help me :(

It's killing me-the Neo image is beautiful bright RGB but I can't get it to display properly:(

I've posted this at a few other forums so don't be surprised if you see it elsewhere too!!

Rigel

The Ultimate 11
Some kind of grounding problem? Just a wild guess here.

RVF400

Host for Orochi
maybe its your t.v, is it 60hz compatible?, boot up a xbox/gc game in 60hz mode if it works fine then u can eliminate that.

Geezer

Quiz Detective
RVF400 said:
maybe its your t.v, is it 60hz compatible?, boot up a xbox/gc game in 60hz mode if it works fine then u can eliminate that.

The tv is 60 Hz compatible, and NTSC compatible.

The problems are two-fold:

1) It won't display the Neo image on its own

2) I can get it to display a Neo image with an another RGB source at the same time but the neo image scrolls all over the shop

It's really getting me down, this is my first supergun and it took me long time to make and if I have to dissamble it agin its going to take a lot of effort:(

Geezer

Quiz Detective
These are the ones I've wired up:

Red video 15 Red Video
Red video ground 13 Video Ground
Green video 11 Green Video
Green video ground 9 Video Ground
Blue video 7 Blue Video
Blue video ground 5 Video Ground
Video input 20 Video Sync
Video Ground 17 Video Ground
Blanking Ground 16 +5v via a 100ohm resistor

as shown here:

http://www.chads.arcade.btinternet.co.uk/Supergun/video_connection.htm

I was under the impression that those were the only ones I needed for an RGB picture?

RVF400

Host for Orochi
hmm not 2 sure but copy the link i got ya im 100% sure its the right one

Matt

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Sounds like you need to connect the RGB switching pin (pin #8). Otherwise, your TV won't switch into RGB mode properly. Hook it up to either +5v or +12v.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Matt said:
Sounds like you need to connect the RGB switching pin (pin #8). Otherwise, your TV won't switch into RGB mode properly. Hook it up to either +5v or +12v.

I do agree this can be the problem, wire pin 8, I don't know if you need a resitor too.

Also, if your TV has more than 1 scart socket, take care that maybe only one of them accepts RGB.

Geezer

Quiz Detective
Thanks for the info guys, looks like it is pin 8 thats the problem:(
I'll wire it in later and update you on the result:)

Geezer

Quiz Detective
Still the same result:(

Can anyone who has made a RGB compatible supergun tell me if any connections are required apart from:

Red video 15 Red Video
Red video ground 13 Video Ground
Green video ground 9 Video Ground
Blue video 7 Blue Video
Blue video ground 5 Video Ground
Blanking Ground 16 +5v via a 100ohm resistor

RVF400

Host for Orochi
did u wire it up according to that link i provided you with?, is ur t.v 60hz compatible?, as if not then thats the answer, the arcade board is putting out 60hz but your t.v can't convert it or understand it, you would just get a rolling image

psycho_fox

n00b
Hi Geezer, I've just finished my first basic supergun following the same instructions you have. I've wired it exactly as you describe and get a similar problem on the TV in my games room. When set to the AV channel, the picture is stable but quite green in colour. If I change back to any normal TV channel, I get a rolling picture of the MVS game but it looks normal in colour.
I've since tried it on our spare old sony 21" set and the picture is perfect. Are all 4video ground wires making good contact? I have them all going into a scotch block and then one wite out to the video ground (14) on the jamma connector. Have you tried it on another TV with the same results?
Good luck with it.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
psycho_fox said:
Are all 4video ground wires making good contact? I have them all going into a scotch block and then one wite out to the video ground (14) on the jamma connector.

Note that once you have ground going to scart pin 17, the other video grounds are quite superfluous...

johnkiddier

Kabuki Klasher
Does this mean I only have to wire pin 17 to ground, pins 13,9 and 5 can remain unconnected?

Cheers

john

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
johnkiddier said:
Does this mean I only have to wire pin 17 to ground, pins 13,9 and 5 can remain unconnected?

Yes.

Geezer

Quiz Detective
Right, I've taken it apart and I'm gonna rebuild it.Just to make sure, will I be ok with this config?

Red video 15 Red Video

Blue video 7 Blue Video

Speaker+ Pin 6

Speaker- Pin 4

+5V to pin 8

+5V to pin 16 from pin 8 via 100 ohm resistor

Geezer:)

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Geezer said:

Speaker+ Pin 6

Speaker- Pin 4

If you intend to use the supergun also for non-Neo stuff, I recommend that you run a ground wire to pin 4: in fact jamma pin L is a ground on MVS mobo's but may not be on other boards, so better use a ground from jamma pins 27 or 28.
Also, with speaker + going to pin 6 you'll get mono but only from one speaker (of your TV or stereo receiver): if you run sp+ to scart pin 2 as well, you'll get sound from both speaker (which is still mono, not stereo). But if you have a MVS multislot mobo, you'll need to add a mono/stereo switch on the supergun...

soopafamicom

Windjammers Wonder
Geezer said:
Right, I've wired up the supergun except the controller ports. I plugged it in to check it works but I'm having a problem. I set it up with a slot one mobo and Last Blade. I can't get the image to display unless I turn on my xbox or DC at the same time-When I do the that the xbox or DC image is stable and the NEo Geo image scrolls across the screen. What's the problem?

I've really go no idea why this is happening, someone please help me :(

It's killing me-the Neo image is beautiful bright RGB but I can't get it to display properly:(

I've posted this at a few other forums so don't be surprised if you see it elsewhere too!!

There is another thing you can try.Look in the Argos book for the multiscart adaptors.There is one in there for £9.99 it accepts 3 inputs. On it there is an RGB on/off switch. If you have trouble getting something to switch the TV to rgb this unit will do it for you.
My TV is a 28" widescreen with 2 rear scart sockets.One of them is RGB compatible but some machines don't register it when they are switched on even when using a scart rgb lead.When switched on it may roll even when the AV channel is selected.I have to use the switch on the scart block to get the rgb circuit enabled on some of the consoles I have had.
My DVD player for example switches to its AV channel when operated but doesn't activate the RGB circuit,it has to be turned on,on the scart block.Some TV's have RGB as a seperate function to be turned off on the remote,and some don't like mine.
Its only a tenner and you will get 3 more scart sockets out of it.

Geezer

Quiz Detective
MKL said:
If you intend to use the supergun also for non-Neo stuff, I recommend that you run a ground wire to pin 4: in fact jamma pin L is a ground on MVS mobo's but may not be on other boards, so better use a ground from jamma pins 27 or 28.
Also, with speaker + going to pin 6 you'll get mono but only from one speaker (of your TV or stereo receiver): if you run sp+ to scart pin 2 as well, you'll get sound from both speaker (which is still mono, not stereo). But if you have a MVS multislot mobo, you'll need to add a mono/stereo switch on the supergun...

Thanks for the info, I'll connect pin 2 as well.
By the way I thought jamma pins 27 and 28 were ground in? wouldn't connecting one of them to pin 4 on the scart have no effect? surely it should be from the psu ground?

soopafamicom-Thanks for the advice, if I run into the same problem again I'll do that, I've been meaning to buy that scart block anyway:)

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Geezer said:
Thanks for the info, I'll connect pin 2 as well.
By the way I thought jamma pins 27 and 28 were ground in? wouldn't connecting one of them to pin 4 on the scart have no effect? surely it should be from the psu ground?

There's no such thing as "ground in". Ground is ONE trace, jamma pin 1 = 2 = 27 = 28 = etc. They're the same thing. You want to use a ground from the PSU? You can do it because it's the same...

Geezer

Quiz Detective
MKL said:
There's no such thing as "ground in". Ground is ONE trace, jamma pin 1 = 2 = 27 = 28 = etc. They're the same thing. You want to use a ground from the PSU? You can do it because it's the same...

Sorry, I'm not very well versed in the world of jamma, so I don't understand entirely.

I was under the impression that A,B,1,2,E,F,27,28 had to be connected to ground from the PSU?

Geezer:)

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Geezer said:
I was under the impression that A,B,1,2,E,F,27,28 had to be connected to ground from the PSU?

Yes, they do have to be connected to the PSU ground.

Let's put it this way: A,B,1,2,etc. are like fingers of the same hand: once you connect one of these fingers to the PSU ground, they're all connected to it.

However, the best thing is to connect A,B,1,2 to the PSU and to use e,f,27,28 for other grounding purposes, such as controls or speakers...

Geezer

Quiz Detective
MKL said:
Yes, they do have to be connected to the PSU ground.

Let's put it this way: A,B,1,2,etc. are like fingers of the same hand: once you connect one of these fingers to the PSU ground, they're all connected to it.

However, the best thing is to connect A,B,1,2 to the PSU and to use e,f,27,28 for other grounding purposes, such as controls or speakers...

aaaah, I understand now:)
Thank you, that info should make building it slightly easier as I'll have less wires in the supergun:)