PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I was just making a joke about something else that is going on. But I ordered mine earlier today when the orders went live.

Didn't I just activate your account a few days ago? You sent me an email...

You got the standard response... "STOP HIDING YOUR IP... MOFO!!!!"...

xROTx

PS. This thing is selling faster than a Crack Hoe in need of a fix...

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
This is huge! I'm so glad I kept myself from getting into PCE before now.

What's the best PCE variant (both from a cost vs features) standpoint to use with this?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Very nice work Terraonion! I'm sure it'll sell well!

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
This is huge! I'm so glad I kept myself from getting into PCE before now.

What's the best PCE variant (both from a cost vs features) standpoint to use with this?

OG original White PCE.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
Didn't I just activate your account a few days ago? You sent me an email...

You got the standard response... "STOP HIDING YOUR IP... MOFO!!!!"...

xROTx

PS. This thing is selling faster than a Crack Hoe in need of a fix...

Yes you did. I don't have any control over my IP address when I am at work. I guess I could only reply when I am at home.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Wow, this looks freaking amazing. I'll definitely be getting one later in the year.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
I'm sold. Is there any specific revision of Turbografx/PC engine that's considered "the best"? the core Grafx console looks the most aesthetic.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'm sold. Is there any specific revision of Turbografx/PC engine that's considered "the best"? the core Grafx console looks the most aesthetic.

They are all the same. Just different revisions.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You can get a yellowed white PCE the cheapest usually. It's less desirable since it's RF only, but since this has a video out on it that's irrelevant. Coregrafx units switched to composite instead of RF.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Just saw the GadgetUk Video. Awesome Product NeoSd, Congrats. Now I'm torn on what to do with My Cd hardware. Damn You NEOSD!:)

The way RGB mods in PCE cores systems are done it shouldn't matter which one you use, just don't use them both at the same time as both the SD System 3 and the RGB amp are probably pulling from the exact same pins.

Good point. The RGB amp is just hooked up to power and the RGB pins on the expansion connector. I'll just desolder them.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Good point. The RGB amp is just hooked up to power and the RGB pins on the expansion connector. I'll just desolder them.

I've just been asked this question about "What if my system is already RGB modded":-

If the mod was done properly and coupling caps used to feed the RGB and sync signals, then it should work OK in parallel I think.

Looking at the typical OSH park PCB the output of those caps is DC biased but the cap would block that DC, so I suspect it might just work OK in parallel. I am not an expert though, so I could be wrong.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Guess I better invest in a proper soldering station soon. It seems like I need a new console recaped every month these days.

Generally speaking PCE standlone systems usually have caps that don't fail all that often. It's the black Duos and Expresses that have cap issues.

If it does need a recap though, it's pretty easy since most of the PCE caps are through hole and there aren't that many of them.

neosd

Neosd Developer
Generally speaking PCE standlone systems usually have caps that don't fail all that often. It's the black Duos and Expresses that have cap issues.

If it does need a recap though, it's pretty easy since most of the PCE caps are through hole and there aren't that many of them.

i can tell you for sure that there are differences among some pcengines. When the development started we got some pcengines that worked better than others.
Once the firmware development progressed, we made it stronger so you will not notice any difference, but there is one for sure. My guess about this behaviour are the caps.

Another interesting thing to take in mind is that if any of you guys have a SuperGrafx, i would recomend you to open it and look for traces corruption, we had one that had destroyed traces and i saw the same issue from a guy at assembler-games.
This issue only affected to the SuperGrafx side of the hardware (regular pcengine games worked fine but Supergrafx games had glitches), just the same this assembler-games user was experiencing. As supergrafx games are quite rare, maybe most of the owners haven´t noticed this issue at all

We opened the machine and there was a weird kind of factory flux there, my guess is there may be a manufactuing issue on those ...

Worth to open it ...

Last edited:

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer

I see a LOT of different types of controllers on eBay. What's my best option? Are pc engine & turbografx controllers all swapable between models?

neosd

Neosd Developer
I see a LOT of different types of controllers on eBay. What's my best option? Are pc engine & turbografx controllers all swapable between models?

The conectors are different, pcengine uses mini-din type connector while turbografx uses din type

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
It looks like a very nice product, congratulations to neosd & co. for this, hopefully it will sell very well.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Really interesting project, congrats on designing this. My CD-Rom2 died a while ago, so I'll definitely be picking this up!

Last edited:

legolas119

Rugal's Thug
really good job! I will buy it!
So, i only need to buy a Pc Engine, that it isn't so expensive, fortunately!
I have 3 questions for NeoSD member:

1) I have to buy the console: do you suggest a specific model? Pc Engine, Core Grafx, Core grafx 2, Turbo Grafx 16...ecc.. or Are all the model equivalent?Can I buy the cheapest one and the games will work in the same way when i run them with Super System 3?
2) the RGB cable and the microSD aren't included in the box, am I right?
3) the cd games could have different format: bin+cue, iso+cue, wav files + cue and so on. Are all the format supported?
4) a lot of Pc Engine on ebay are RGB modded: do you think that the modded console with the RGB output could not work with Super System 3?

thank you!

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

God I hope this is still available after I get off work...

The best controller is the Hori Fighting Commander in my opinion. Some people swear by the avenue pad 6, but I don't think they ever used a fighting commander. The dpad feels like a snes dpad, and the buttons feel like the convex snes AB buttons..

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
A nice product that costs less than the typical used, recapped, RGB-modded Duo. Ordered :)

Anybody want a new, unused EverDrive? :P

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
dVSgnl8.png

xE5qEGd.png

Let's get this straight... you have a NG flashcard... but feel using a PCE flashcard is "cheating"...

WELL... Here's the deal... this aint PCEFx where it's a pussy type mod'ding situ... I'll happily neuter you for a fuckin' laugh...