The Mother Fucking Book Thread (No Comics Allowed)

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Reading a Penguin collection of Poe poems and short stories.

Just finished reading " The Tell-Tale Heart", " Eldorado" and "Hop-Frog". These pieces mad me laugh and even pulled my heart strings. These morsels are but a few pages, yet, they are now some of my favorite short pieces of literature.

"Hop-Frog" had me laughing like a psychotic son of a bitch.

"Eldorado" had me sitting in silence for a few minutes.

It's a shame that I really never appreciated Poe, until now.

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
My friend gave me Tinkers for my birthday a few months ago. That was pretty good. A coworker loaned me Sneaker Wars, which is a great book about the rivalry between the Dassler brothers (who created Puma and Adidas) and how that destroyed their families.

For my commuting book, I'm currently reading The New York trilogy by Paul Auster, which contains City of Glass, Ghosts, and The Locked Room. It's not bad but there is a gaping plot hole in the first story. I feel like the author was like, "Hey, I'm going to write a highbrow detective novel" and then forced it out of himself. I don't dislike it but I wouldn't recommend it.

For my bedtime book I'm reading Time Out of Joint by Philip K. Dick. I'm at the beginning, so I don't even know what it's about really.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
For what it's worth, Philip K. Dick saw a rough cut of Blade Runner before he died and gave it the thumbs up.
I thought he just saw the special effects scenes, not the whole thing.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Just got done reading "Communion" which was awesome and now getting ready to read "Pillars Of The Earth"

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Started reading Atlas Shrugged yesterday, got to about page 30 or so. Unfortunately there are a lot of nuisances around my apartment, and I find it hard to focus on books there. I will attempt to finish it though, because I've wanted to read it for a few years now.

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
^ I have to pick that one up, one day.

Not too long ago, I did read "The Fountainhead". Looking at the book as a work of fiction; I did enjoy it. The book's deeper meanings were a little bit too demented for me, although I did like a few ideas and quotes from it.

Last edited:

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
^ I have to pick that one up, one day.

Not too long ago, I did read "The Fountainhead". Looking at the book as a work of fiction; I did enjoy it. The book's deeper meanings were a little bit too demented for me, although I did like a few ideas and quotes from it.

Never read The Fountainhead. Honestly, when I was younger I wouldn't have read anything by Ayn Rand because of how she preaches the virtues of greed and selfishness. I hate to admit it, but I was a little bit of a hippie back in the day. I still don't consider her a "philosopher", but there's no question that her writing has had a profound influence on modern culture and that's worth a read.

fake

15 Year Member
Started reading Atlas Shrugged yesterday, got to about page 30 or so. Unfortunately there are a lot of nuisances around my apartment, and I find it hard to focus on books there. I will attempt to finish it though, because I've wanted to read it for a few years now.

It's an important book so I tried to read it, but the propaganda was so thinly veiled I only got halfway through (which was still 1,000 pages, but meh). Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow???

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Rereading Flight by Sherman Alexie since I got him to sign it a couple days ago

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
Currently reading some of the collected works of Pablo Neruda and Gary Soto.

fake

15 Year Member
I started The Running Man today. This'll be my first Stephen King book.

fake

15 Year Member
I recently read The Invisible Man, Hot Water Music and Ham on Rye. I'm almost done with Children of Dune and Breakfast of Champions.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Reading A Game of Thrones, really wish I got into this series sooner.

I will say, knowing the tv show is helping me remember who's who.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I just finished "The Way of Kings" by Brendon Sanderson. The writing didn't impress me and the overall quality isn't near George R.R. Martin, but by the end it really won me over. The story held up well over the 1,000 pages and now I'm reading the sequel (1,400 pages..)

It's definitely "epic fantasy" with a lot of cool world building stuff and battles. I'd recommend it if you're looking for something to read after Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
"My Big Toe" by Tom Campbell, best book I have ever read. Really can change your view of reality and how it works.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I just finished "The Way of Kings" by Brendon Sanderson. The writing didn't impress me and the overall quality isn't near George R.R. Martin, but by the end it really won me over. The story held up well over the 1,000 pages and now I'm reading the sequel (1,400 pages..)

It's definitely "epic fantasy" with a lot of cool world building stuff and battles. I'd recommend it if you're looking for something to read after Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings.

I haven't read any of Brandon's Books. He did do a good job finishing up Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series final books after Robert passed.

If you haven't read the Wheel of Time series, you are truly missing out.

I'm finishing up A Feast for Crows atm. I also need to start reading the Sword of Truth series.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member

I enjoyed The Way of Kings but felt it was difficult to get through at times.

The thing I liked the most was the 'esprit de corps' elements with the bridge crew and the politics and intrigues of how battles are plotted and how forces are aligned.

I was also interested by the rules that dictated the assassin's path and obedience.

I wasn't interested very much in the one girl's family troubles and her attempt to steal whatsherface's magic wand, but I understand that this is just a smaller part of a bigger narrative and may become more relevant later.

I felt the world building elements were pretty strong, and Sanderson created a unique environment for his characters to populate.

I have the second book but haven't started reading it yet.

As for myself, I just finished reading both Harlequin and 1356, both by the always excellent Bernard Cornwell. They are the first and last books in a series that takes place during the early parts of the Hundred years War, and deal with one particular group of mercenaries serving under Edward III.

The reason I ended up reading books 1 and 4 is because originally, my wife and I were doing the audiobook of 1356 without knowing that it was the fourth in that series. So then I went back and read the first book to see how it all started.

Cornwell is the best historical fiction author I've ever read. His viking stuff (The Saxon Tales) is awesome too. I want to read his King Arthur stuff soon.

I also tried reading The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory, but I can't stand first person present tense narratives. Also, she has this tendency to have her characters repeat themselves in different chapters far too often. The same old arguments keep coming up and the same old rationalizations and arguments keep getting used. There is this perpetual sense of deja vu, derived from that same book, as I read it. I decided to give it a read because I watched Starz' The White Queen TV series and it was based on the first three books of Gregory's 'The Cousins War' and I'm a sucker for historical costuem dramas. I'll probably finish this but it's not really my thing.

Gonna try picking up with Fellowship of the Ring again. Only the second time I've ever read it (first time was nearly 30 years ago in high school), but it's a total chore. I petered out just after Tom Bombadil TROLOLOLOLOLED his way into the barrow downs and saved the hobbits. Such a stupid character. I'm so glad Jackson omitted him from the movies.

fake

15 Year Member
I'm at the end of Hollywood by Bukowski.

ArmoredGecko

Quiz Detective
I've been reading The Chronicles of Narnia (in publication order because I got to The Voyage of the Dawn Treader before I found out they're not chronological). I know it's a children's series and is steeped with Christian themes but I've really enjoyed the series so far.

EDIT: A couple of lines at the end of Dawn Treader felt so shoed in. A sour note there at the end.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
Over the past few months I've finished

Children of Dune
Hollywood
Pulp

I'm currently on

The two towers
Naked lunch

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Just reread The Finest Hours, since Disney just finished shooting for the film in my town.

Great book and a nice filler read, only 248 pages. It's about the 1952 Coast Guard Rescue of the crews of 2 T2 tankers that were split in half by a Nor'easter with 70 ft waves of the coast of Chatham, MA.

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
I've been reading The Chronicles of Narnia (in publication order because I got to The Voyage of the Dawn Treader before I found out they're not chronological). I know it's a children's series and is steeped with Christian themes but I've really enjoyed the series so far.

EDIT: A couple of lines at the end of Dawn Treader felt so shoed in. A sour note there at the end.

Read them all as a young adult. I still remember them fondly and would like to revisit them someday.

Reading "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", finally. Started it years ago, always meant to finish it.

Last edited: