Terraonion New Product(s) discussion thread

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Why fpga genesis,i think the most have a genesis or megadrive,i only don't know if its possible to create something for sega cd,its probably not easy.
For genesis there is mega everdrive,but for the cd addon there is nothing.

Don't Sleep on these guys. They've already created two unbelievable products that most thought could not be done. So at this point, I think anything is possible as long as they feel it's worth it.

The Super SD runs off the expansion port. The Sega Genesis has a similar expansion connector on the side. We Know the Sega Cd can be emulated on PC and we know that the Mega Everdrive can run different region bios from the cart itself. So Maybe a Combo Cart and Expansion Device that work together to run Sega Cd Roms. This is just some bullshit I'm making up as I go lol.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I don't think it would sell. Krikzz is offering three flash devices for the Megadrive alone, plus one for SMS. All of the MD carts support SMS games [X7 even has YM2413 emulation], and 32X games with the addon. Plus a bunch of features like cheat codes, snapshot saves for X7, CD BIOS and RAM ... That's hard to beat, and it runs on original hardware, which no matter the model, has RGB support.

One of the Biggest reasons people are buying the Super Sd is because of ISO Rom support. Yes, some people here who don't own a Turbo ED will also take advantage of playing Hu-Card Roms but if it wasn't for this people would just stick to a Everdrive and whatever CD Setup they have so I don't understand why you say it would not sell well.

Yes, the Mega Everdrive does great things but one thing it does not do is run CD's which is the reason why people are wanting a Sega Cd device.

Last edited:

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
I think the main issue with an FPGA MegaDrive/Genesis is that we almost definitely have Analogue coming out with their own solution for this (probably a year from now). They have the Super NT coming out in a couple of months and I'm sure they aren't going to stop with just that. I know kevtris indicates he hasn't worked on a genesis core yet, but it is only a matter of time before he does...and like the company or not, they can market and sell product.

I would imagine that their solution will leave the expansion port on the side to connect to a real Sega CD and use the 32X as kevtris indicated that FPGAing all of them together would be cost prohibitive.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I think the main issue with an FPGA MegaDrive/Genesis is that we almost definitely have Analogue coming out with their own solution for this (probably a year from now). They have the Super NT coming out in a couple of months and I'm sure they aren't going to stop with just that. I know kevtris indicates he hasn't worked on a genesis core yet, but it is only a matter of time before he does...and like the company or not, they can market and sell product.

I would imagine that their solution will leave the expansion port on the side to connect to a real Sega CD and use the 32X as kevtris indicated that FPGAing all of them together would be cost prohibitive.

Yea, I guess one could only dream. I just pictured NeoSd creating a Sega Cd emulation device that looks like the Model 1 Sega Cd that connects to the expansion port and go's underneath the Model 1 and lights up everytime the SD card is working, green and red leds. Fuck Me, That shit would look so bad ass. The Model 2 Genesis would look like Shit with it but who cares about the Model 2 anyways lol.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
While a Sega CD ODE would be a neat concept, are there really enough games on that platform to justify the expense necessary to develop it?

Yes. Even more so if they could integrate the 32X somehow, plus keep the flash cart features. Imagine being able to play the entire Genesis/Mega Drive, Master System, SEGA CD, and 32X libraries off one Genesis add-on.
dims

This mess is just begging for a more elegant solution (and you can't even really use the 32X with the Power Base in the first place).

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
It's a difficult one to work out volume of expected sales vs cost of R&D and assembly / retail price etc.

There are simpler (well, I use the word simple in the loosest fashion since in practice it might not be so simple lol), but suggestions from me (and I have mentioned a few of these before) are:-

1) Sega CD Drive Solution
2) FPGA VIC-II replacement - outputting RGB.
3) PC Engine HDMI / DVI adapter - something inline that can use the VD bus etc to generate a better than RGB output.
4) C64 / Spectrum / smart joystick adapater. eg. on the C64, could connect to the keyboard connector internally, connects to the joystick ports too, has 2 neo standard 6 button stick ports, and allows the user to configure keyboard presses to additional buttons. could be simple to design, could be hard depending on whether its generic or different models for different systems. Could be popular though - I know its a pain the ass trying to hit space or some other keys to try and play games using a stick on the C64, Amiga, ST, Spectrum etc. I could do something like this easily with a PIC - might have a go for the C64 one day :P
5) Atomis Wave Multicart
6) CPS1 & CPS2 100% emulation device (could perhaps be extended via firmware updates to support other systems), OR some kind of ROM board that will allow the CPS1 or CPS2 to play all games of that platform.
7) An affordable scan doubler that outputs DVI or HDMI. I know there's the framemeister and OSSC etc, but they still feel like complex devices. We need something that can accept SCART, RGB, S-Video for all the different consoles that 'just works' with easy to use interface. Maybe the OSSC is that device, just looks a bit 'kit ish' to me, but maybe that's cost effective and I imagine accepting all sorts of video input variations a complex hurdle to overcome.
8) Amiga CD32 / CD emulator device to give an A1200 CD drive support (ISO etc in first instance), maybe later with Akiko support or whathever hardware the CD32 provided over the 1200 - but that's a complex bit of kit imo. Sales could be high though.
9) Generic optical drive (CD / DVD) emulator - could be utilized in all sorts of system, including in the first instance the Commodore A1200 / A600 - easy to just plug into the IDE chain and use an SD (like you've done with the PCE). Could also be used with any other IDE device that has a CD / DVD drive. Could be cheap to design, could be popular due to the generic-ness of the device.
10) Sega Saturn / Dreamcast / 3DO drive emulators. Some already available yes, but hard to buy as always low stock. 3DO would attract few sales, Saturn and Dreamcast would sell a lot I imagine if they were always stocked atm.
11) Neo CD Drive Solution - not sure very high demand there, but could be easy to implement, might be very similar to point 9 in that once an ATAPI drive exists, it might not take much to convert that to work with the Neo CD - maybe a change from ATAPI to whatever SNK went with on the Neo CD, but point 9 could lead to point 11 or vice versa.
12) There are also some possible easy wins that could help bring small amounts of regular cash into the company - ie. products that are open source, that could be just tweaked, manufactured and sold too. eg. RGB amp PCB, stereo sound amp PCB, PSU replacements - maybe even a generic PSU that has multiple cable options. People are always looking for new PSUs for all those old computers and consoles. Terrible Fire Amiga accelerators (anyone actually building and selling these - I am looking to buy one, maybe £150 without an 030 on board? I bet cost of components is like £60 or something. The chap over at Terrible Fire (You Tube) has already said people can build and sell them, just dont over charge etc. But no one to my knowledge is harnessing that as a possible way to make income and to help people wanting to just buy one ready assembled. Despite the fact the Vampire is faster and better, people also just want an 030 or 040 on their Amiga at reasonable price (even if the 68K is emulated), and Vampire is expensive, and the 50Mhz cards from Individual Computers are crazily expensive.
13) I think a MAME box might sell well if done properly, but there's the Pi, XBOX etc that competes with the general idea there - that's the problem with most FPGA 'system replacements' imho.
14) Re-seller / licensing for all the great projects that have low volume due to hobbyist type projects etc. examples might be Neo Geo ROM adapters (for boards without a DIP ROM), AES Save Carts (both from Turfmasta I think) - these might be always stocked these days - no idea, just remember that whenever I want something I am unlucky and missed a batch etc). Amiga ROM switchers, C64 ROM switchers, bwacks 5v 'saver', Dual SID boards, Master System FM board or something to add FM to Game Gear / Megadrive / Master System (Again often out of stock with people making these). NES / Famicom stereo audio kit, Spectrum +2 / +3 Stereo Audio Kit. The list goes on, and a lot of these are cheap to make, probably wouldnt sell for masses but volume of cheap low risk products that combine with all other product offerings could help keep things ticking over. Some products could compliment your range too - eg. MVS to AES adapter (Furtek or own design?), PSU for AES (9v and 5v models), AES AV leads, MVS Consolization Kit (eg. 5v PSU, controller ports, AV DIN and AV SCART cable, audio amp PCB, optional licensed unbios). There's a lot of scope there, but granted the last thing you want to end up doing is spending loads of time on too many low volume products.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
The Super SD runs off the expansion port. The Sega Genesis has a similar expansion connector on the side. We Know the Sega Cd can be emulated on PC and we know that the Mega Everdrive can run different region bios from the cart itself. So Maybe a Combo Cart and Expansion Device that work together to run Sega Cd Roms. This is just some bullshit I'm making up as I go lol.

This I would be interested in. A CD add-on replacement with as much added functionality as possible. You wouldn't even have to make a cartridge for this. Loading different BIOS files is meant for the original hardware as a means to overcome the region lock, but with a newly developed expansion module, region would not be a problem, as everything would be handled by the expansion module hardware.

I don't know enough about MD's architecture and the expansion port in particular, but looking at its pinout, it corresponds, in part, to the cartridge pinout. Maybe it could be used to run regular MD ROM images as well, eliminating the need for a flash device, which would make it similar to the PCE device.

And since we're throwing out wild ideas that won't ever become a reality, why not make a Super GameBoy 3, with GBC support? I'd buy that, for sure. Don't know if it's possible, but it would essentially have to be a FPGA GBC plugged into SNES. How cool would that be?

Atomis Wave Multicart

How many people from here would choose this over a Naomi flash device that would boot Atomiswave games?

Last edited:

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
My top two are Sega CD and a CPS Multi. I'd also love a 3DO device, but the market on that is likely small and they might have to design more than one to accommodate the various models.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
How many people from here would choose this over a Naomi flash device that would boot Atomiswave games?

I would, I hate the Sega Naomi Setup. Just too much going on. Prefer One Mobo and Cart that plugs in via Jamma. This is why I always stuck with the Dreamcast to play Naomi games. Plus, you got a bunch of people here still looking for Atomiswave Boots, so it would be interesting having a cart that plays all atomiswave games.

mistahsnart

New Challenger
Only reason I said Sega Genesis is that from a 'what can we make that will have more mass market appeal', that's the one. If Analogue wasn't already out there with the Super NT, I'd say do a FPGA SNES.

For the majority of the market of 'retro', Nintendo and Sega = video games. That's why companies like Analogue are finding hits with devices like the Super NT. It's a product the market is clamoring for. The even more mainstream example of this is people paying ridiculous prices to own a NES or SNES Classic. Similar emulation systems like the Retron5 get a good chunk of buzz, and they sell plenty, even though the devices are crap. But the price tag is low enough that casual fans don't care.

Everyone on this forum takes this shit way more seriously than your average person, but we're 1% of a niche. There are a LOT more people out there willing to spend $150-$200 to play the handful of random Sega carts they own with native HDMI out.

Down side: we all know that Analogue will be setting their sights on the Genesis at some point. So there's a good chance for some incredibly stiff competition.

I'd love an ODE unit for any system we can name, or a flash device for CPSII that isn't made by you know who. But as NeoSD said: they're starting to look at a more mass-market price tag option. Anything that requires people take a screwdriver to their console reduces your market. Soldering drops it even further. GadgetUK had some great ideas in his post about quick wins.

End of the day, only reason I'm even giving my thoughts on this is because NeoSD asked. Otherwise, I'd never dream of giving unsolicited business advice to someone. That's just rude. :)

Last edited:

noir

Overtop Pathfinder
Hello,

Its being kinda complicated to decide 2019 products, cause our company has a lot of expenses so we need to sell more than neosd did.
I mean : Neosd did well for the price tag that it has, but we need to deliver cheaper products to reach more people, this is a fact.

We can make cheaper and faster products or we can make harder, longer and more expensive ones.

I think Super SD System 3 sales arround May 2018 will give us a hint about what we should do next.

Honestly, any idea is welcome cause we are considering anything for 2019

If you go the route of cheaper & faster options, I'm curious if that opens up any opportunity for limited editions or otherwise more expensive versions of a product. Have the standard version for a price point that makes sense, then have some deluxe version that costs more. Maybe it's a limited color, or has some minor variation of functionality, but have the products be similar enough that they're only a trivial amount of extra effort to do.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
And a collector walks into the room.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Hello,

Its being kinda complicated to decide 2019 products, cause our company has a lot of expenses so we need to sell more than neosd did.
I mean : Neosd did well for the price tag that it has, but we need to deliver cheaper products to reach more people, this is a fact.

We can make cheaper and faster products or we can make harder, longer and more expensive ones.

I think Super SD System 3 sales arround May 2018 will give us a hint about what we should do next.

Honestly, any idea is welcome cause we are considering anything for 2019

Might be time to dip your toe into the waters of peripherals. Yodd mentioned wireless controllers for PCE and Genesis/MegaDrive, I'd settle for Saturn style (wired) controllers for PCE/Turbo. I'd likely buy either. Quality PSUs for various oldschool consoles are always in demand, too.

Someone else mentioned fpga portables, seems like that's a fairly untapped market right now. Doen't know how cheap that would be to make, though.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
I would love to see a CD Drive solution for the Dreamcast. I know there are some, but it seems the better ones are no longer produced.
The use of the working GD Rom for making images of the GDs would be also nice.

Might be time to dip your toe into the waters of peripherals. Yodd mentioned wireless controllers for PCE and Genesis/MegaDrive, I'd settle for Saturn style (wired) controllers for PCE/Turbo. I'd likely buy either.

It’s probably just me being weird. But I would love a good solution for cleaning up wired controller extensions. I’ve got something like 16 wired controller consoles in my setup and hate a few aspects about controller extensions:
1. The quality is really all over the spectrum. My nes extensions pause the game when jostled. And multi taps generally don’t work after being extended.
2. They take up a significant amount of storage space.
3. I always worry that someone is going to yank a console off the shelf by accident.

I would love it if someone made a box that I could plug into the various controller ports. At which point it uses a single type of cable to connect to a companion box near my couch. Allowing me to cleanly and permanently route the connection around the edge of the room. And then my controllers and multi taps hook up to the couch side companion box.

That way I’m only using 1 type of extension cable. Presumably of excellent quality. And only have people potentially yank the replaceable companion box.

If that product existed I would throw money at the screen.

mistahsnart

New Challenger
That way I’m only using 1 type of extension cable. Presumably of excellent quality. And only have people potentially yank the replaceable companion box.
I think this is a pretty cool idea. I've done this with multi-console fight sticks before. Using cat5e and ethernet couplers to make 'universal' extentions.

You could have it work like those magnetic charging cables for phones and what not. Where you put the adapter into your lightning or type C port, converting it to a 'universal' pinout for the magnetic cable. Could make for a nice breakaway feature too. In lieu of a good wireless solution, I'd definitely buy something like that.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
CPS1 & CPS2 100% emulation device (could perhaps be extended via firmware updates to support other systems), OR some kind of ROM board that will allow the CPS1 or CPS2 to play all games of that platform.

I've probably already said it somewhere, but I'm going to say it again just to make sure:

This is a great option, but PLEASE make the A-Board and B-Board SEPARATE so that:
1 - If I have a working motherboard I can just purchase the Rom Board
2 - If I have working Rom boards but the motherboard died (there are A LOT of CPS1 A-Board dying), I can buy the FPGA (or whatever) A-Board
3 - If I don't have any, I can buy the full package (A-Board + B-Board) and, if I'm not satisfied with how the A-Board works (or whatever), I can later buy a real A-Board and use that with the Rom Board. Same applies if I want to start collecting games and using them on the FPGA Motherboard.

PLEASE, don't make an all-in-one, let us choose what to do.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
PLEASE, don't make an all-in-one, let us choose what to do.

Sigh. This is the dumbest post I've seen today. If they are going to go through the effort of FPGAing the entire device (which is pure fantasy at this point), they are going to sell it as an entire device. Makes zero sense to sell a separate "rom board" Super cost inefficient.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Sigh. This is the dumbest post I've seen today. If they are going to go through the effort of FPGAing the entire device (which is pure fantasy at this point), they are going to sell it as an entire device. Makes zero sense to sell a separate "rom board" Super cost inefficient.

But but that's not what I want!

Sometimes I really wonder about a few people around here.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Ok, forget everything mentioned so far: We need a device for the Neo Geo home console that plugs into the cartridge port, with pass through for AES games, a port for MVS, and a CD drive for those games, too. It should be shaped as close to a toilet bowl as humanly possible.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior

I believe you're not getting the point of doing it with FPGAs. You use FPGA to mimic how the original circuit logic works (along with the ICs, of course) to make it behave exactly the same as the original board.

If you're doing things properly (not slamming an emulator on a chip just to run games) there's absolutely no issue in having two separate boards.

Like, really, none. More encumbrance since the B-Board has to fit onto the original A-Board, but that's really it.

There are already console FPGAs which do this: use an FPGA to emulate the original hardware with a slot for the original cartridges.

Making two separate boards would be definitely less efficient than an all-in-one solution, no doubt about that, the question is how much we're talking here.
Since I'm not an expert on the matter (and you neither are), I'd let neoSD speak on this one since, you know, it's part of their job.