MiSTer FPGA Neo Geo core

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I wouldn't hold my breath considering that Analogue was run off of the Neo communities for their shit overpriced CMVSs.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
I wouldn't hold my breath considering that Analogue was run off of the Neo communities for their shit overpriced CMVSs.

True, but an FPGA based one wouldn't be an overpriced CMVS is a environmentally sourced black walnut chunk of wood.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
True, but an FPGA based one wouldn't be an overpriced CMVS is a environmentally sourced black walnut chunk of wood.

Bingo.

I think Analogue has figured out the sweet spot - $200. The SuperNT and MegaSG sold better than their expensive and PITA to produce CMVS and NT Mini.

This site ran Chris off but the Neo scene goes deeper than here. Even if he can’t post about it here, he knows it would sell and that’s the bottom line

Whippy

Banned
Considering how fast AliExpress sells out of those CBOX CMVS that are the same price as most FPGA consoles (AVS, Super NT, and Mega SG all are $180) it would sell amazingly. Especially if they got 8Bitdo to clone the CD pad, or made it also compatible with SNES controllers or something.

I don't lie, I bought a cbox. It was somewhat pricey, but with both DB15 & Sega Saturn support for peripherals it wasn't a bad deal overall. At the time I had no clue what was involved with modding mvs boards, or what I even wanted in one (I really liked the shell they put on it). I think you are 100% correct that a FPGA Neo-Geo would sell fantastic. Something that runs from either a cart or flash memory would be have no troubles selling. Sure many people that already have a neo geo may pass, but many people on the fence not willing to risk some chinesium c-box or self-modding would get one. A brand new product from a company with a track record for support would sell itself out in no time.

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
It can't be long until Analogue puts out a Neo Geo FPGA console. I feel like thats a super logical next step for them
The only problem I see here is that Analogue, until now, made FPGA products based on consoles with expired hardware patents and no copyrighted BIOS. NeoGeo needs a BIOS tho, which is copyrighted and would need either a not user friendly “bring your own BIOS” policy or a completely reimplemented one.

Last edited:

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Finally set this core up last night, it's pretty sweet. Sometimes I get no sound, but a quick restart or mode change (Region/Arcade etc.) often brings it back. The uni-bios works flawlessly too, many thanks to the people who put in the hard work to get these things running

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I got a MiSTer this week.

Neo Geo core seems legit. I have played a couple of titles that I have never owned via the HDMI out and my computer's LCD with scanlines and gamma filters. It looks good and plays well. Stereo mix sounds great.

I want to score the complementary JAMMA edge kit this guy sells once they are in stock to try the MiSTer out in the Big Red.

a5VUcEIm.jpg

I also need to try this on my PVM.

I fired up the Genesis core too and that also plays and sounds good.

I want to try the Sega CD next.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member

Neo Geo core seems legit. I have played a couple of titles that I have never owned via the HDMI out and my computer's LCD with scanlines and gamma filters. It looks good and plays well. Stereo mix sounds great.

I want to score the complementary JAMMA edge kit this guy sells once they are in stock to try the MiSTer out in the Big Red.

a5VUcEIm.jpg

Jamma edge you say? Is this a plug and play solution?

Wasn't interested in the Mister until I heard that. Sounds easier than rigging up a solution to get random consoles plugged into a jamma cab.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Jamma edge you say? Is this a plug and play solution?

Wasn't interested in the Mister until I heard that. Sounds easier than rigging up a solution to get random consoles plugged into a jamma cab.

Well, the JAMMA connector is plug and play, but with a catch.

Antonio Villena assembles both that variant of the MiSTer kit, and the corresponding JAMMA connector. His webstore is https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/

However, he uses his own proprietary serial protocol to handle the inputs, so his JAMMA connector only works with his customized MiSTer cores, and his customized "XXSV" MiSTer SDRAM memory modules. His customized cores sometimes lag behind the official cores on updates, and he also hasn't ported all of the official cores over either.

His unofficial core repository is here: https://github.com/antoniovillena/MiSTer_DB9

If you want to use the official MiSTer cores along with the generic hardware modules, your best JAMMA option at the moment is to use a J-PAC with 1ms USB polling.

Last edited:

gusmoney

10 Year Member
Well, the JAMMA connector is plug and play, but with a catch.

Antonio Villena assembles both that variant of the MiSTer kit, and the corresponding JAMMA connector. His webstore is https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/

However, he uses his own proprietary serial protocol to handle the inputs, so his JAMMA connector only works with his customized MiSTer cores, and his customized "XXSV" MiSTer SDRAM memory modules. His customized cores sometimes lag behind the official cores on updates, and he also hasn't ported all of the official cores over either.

His unofficial core repository is here: https://github.com/antoniovillena/MiSTer_DB9

If you want to use the official MiSTer cores along with the generic hardware modules, your best JAMMA option at the moment is to use a J-PAC with 1ms USB polling.

All true, very informative, and well put STC. His MiSTer does run the normal cores also but just not with the DB9 functionality that is required for the JAMMA connector.

@Alaska-

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
how does the cave cores are going along?
I was reading about gen1 which mean dodonpachi and it's a great start
but I will throw any money have to the bank account of this MISTER to play Death Smiles with proper slowdown and correct frame rate.
Got the board years ago and playing it in mame is somewhat disappointing.

Last edited:

willacb

n00b
Does anybody know if Antonio Villena's Mister DB9 Neo Core support all 4 face buttons? On the surface, it would seem that it only would support 3 given the number of pins but not sure if that's actually the case.

gusmoney

10 Year Member
Does anybody know if Antonio Villena's Mister DB9 Neo Core support all 4 face buttons? On the surface, it would seem that it only would support 3 given the number of pins but not sure if that's actually the case.

I don't have a definitive answer as I don't have one but why couldn't it support more than three buttons? The Genesis uses a DB9 and has six buttons.

willacb

n00b
I don't have a definitive answer as I don't have one but why couldn't it support more than three buttons? The Genesis uses a DB9 and has six buttons.

Only reason I wouldn't be sure of it is the genesis 6 button controller uses a multiplexer to achieve so many inputs on a db9, while the neo doesn't need one since it uses the DB15 standard which is where I would assume things would get confusing. I tried padhacking a junky "fighting putt" 6 button genesis controller that only registered 3 face buttons with the core, but for all i know the controller may not have had all 6 buttons working to begin with. I did see on the github that the Z button should register as "D" so you are most likely right and the controller I used was just trash.

a5VUcEIm.jpg

Do you have the regular 'Drive' version or the 'Slim' that's out of stock currently. What's the primary difference between the two?

gusmoney

10 Year Member
Do you have the regular 'Drive' version or the 'Slim' that's out of stock currently. What's the primary difference between the two?

I have the Slim.

The only differences I am seeing is that I have seven USB ports on the one side where as the Drive has five on the side and two internal plus room to accommodate an internal USB hard drive.

Pinball

Kula's Candy
I've ordered MISTER and all the trimmings today and will report back :-)

bwi

20 Year Member
I've ordered MISTER and all the trimmings today and will report back :-)

You'll love it when its set up. The only issue i have with it is that is was slightly slower than my 17k AES but really close to my 200K AES. Don't ask me why two original hardare machines are running at slightly different sppeds

gusmoney

10 Year Member
CPS core dropping in Beta form today!

Creator (jotego) of above-mentioned core is adding support for Antonio's DB9 in the CPS core and all of his cores.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
*OK* now we're talking

edit: btw I didn't know the new OSSC pro will be also playing games as an FPGA console?

Last edited:
I have the Slim.

The only differences I am seeing is that I have seven USB ports on the one side where as the Drive has five on the side and two internal plus room to accommodate an internal USB hard drive.

Thanks for the detail! CPS addition looks good. Will be watching this project for a while.

willacb

n00b
Just a heads up Antonio is now selling DB15 adapters which allow for no latency neo input!

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
just checking, is there a list of most common hardware pieces to buy, in order to run 15Khz/RGB/JAMMA I/O? (including the 128Mb expansion I believe)