CRT Fetish Thread

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The Geometry of the Dell kicks the shit out of the PVM, and there are many on screen adjustments I can do that I can't do on the PVM without removing the back cover.

This is one of the reasons I am such a fan of the xrgb2 and pc crt combo. Geometry is very easy to tweak and adjust as needed.

Looks good!

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
The "PHM-20M8U" linked in the post above mine.
The craigslist ad takes care to mention that they heard it was a good monitor for older gaming, but the specs sheet they themselves link to states it's made for "HDVS" stuff; The range of those signals is the only reason I think there's a chance new stuff might work with it, but there's almost no way they'll take 240/480i.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
This is one of the reasons I am such a fan of the xrgb2 and pc crt combo. Geometry is very easy to tweak and adjust as needed.

Looks good!
I'm a huge fan of PC CRT, I still have a couple. The sharper the better for me, scanlines (XRGB2) is a plus but not a must. Emulation on VGA CRT looks phenomenal, back in the day when Neo RageX was hot it looked amazing with the built it scanlines, it just doesn't get any better than that. Also Dreamcast and Xbox OG (XBOX VGA BOX) look like a million bucks with it, with the right games of course.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I'm a huge fan of PC CRT, I still have a couple. The sharper the better for me, scanlines (XRGB2) is a plus but not a must. Emulation on VGA CRT looks phenomenal, back in the day when Neo RageX was hot it looked amazing with the built it scanlines, it just doesn't get any better than that. Also Dreamcast and Xbox OG (XBOX VGA BOX) look like a million bucks with it, with the right games of course.

Very few people have taken the time to do it, but I used to have a nice VGA CRT setup for 480P PS2 games (even though there are only a handful). They looked downright amazing.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yes, I have the disc and cable for it. Ridge Racer V looks stunning but you're right, the list is short and overall not worth the hassle.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Yes, I have the disc and cable for it. Ridge Racer V looks stunning but you're right, the list is short and overall not worth the hassle.

I had an interesting setup. Because it uses sync on green when you enable progressive, I had a fat PS2 with a cheapo composite screen on it (like the psone screens). I had a cable that had the component and composite outputs on it; ran the composite to the cheapo screen and then the component connectors to I a little RCA to Dsub adapter. I hooked that to a trinitron CRT that took 480p sync on green. You could use the little cheap screen to make sure you turned on progressive scan correctly, and the VGA monitor would kick on.

You can also use an extron sync stabilizer to strip the sync on green. Works very well for monitors that won't accept it.

Like you said... short list of games and generally not worth the hassle. But SSX looks pretty fuckin' great on it, as does guilty gear xxac+, Melty Blood AA, Thunder Force VI, and Tekken 5.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Some of the progressive scan games look great on CRT HD though, a decent tube running on 480p can be downright gorgeous. GGX2 and up. GGXplus and below don't support progressive. Tekken 5 looks insane, I think that was the last great progressive scan on the system. OMG how can I forget about TF6 is just not the same playing it any other way, I like to see the dtails on the ship, I just gotta.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Looking for a new stand to hold a 20" PVM I'm hopefully able to snag later this week.

These fuckers are big and heavy. CRT corner stand the way to go? I don't have room for a big table any more with all these cabs.

Edit- Anyone know the dimensions of the footing, the feet that have to have space to sit? I know there's not a lot of back/front to hand off the edge of the stand, but even a bit might help.

Last edited:

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Looking for a new stand to hold a 20" PVM I'm hopefully able to snag later this week.

These fuckers are big and heavy. CRT corner stand the way to go? I don't have room for a big table any more with all these cabs.

Edit- Anyone know the dimensions of the footing, the feet that have to have space to sit? I know there's not a lot of back/front to hand off the edge of the stand, but even a bit might help.

I'm actually building a table right now that will support 2 20inch PVMs, one will be for tate mode shmups, it's going to have around 6 different consoles and its also going to be on wheels so I can roll it anywhere.

skate323k137

10 Year Member

I could measure the "footprint" of a 20" PVM later if you need.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I'm actually building a table right now that will support 2 20inch PVMs, one will be for tate mode shmups, it's going to have around 6 different consoles and its also going to be on wheels so I can roll it anywhere.

That sounds pretty sweet. Here's what my setup looks like right now. No wheels tho. I couldn't imagine pushing two of these things around the house. :)

game-room.jpg

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
What would you guys say is a fair price for a Olympus OEV203 in good shape (rebranded PVM-20M2MDU)?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I have had three of this model. I paid $25 for the first one and traded a DC VGA box for the other. The third one I got for free. Great monitors.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's fucking great. There isn't really much to improve upon on it. It takes composite (which is shit on mine,) svideo, RGB and Component. It has two RGB inputs, you can set either one to RGB or component, also has outputs on one of the lines which is handy since I run the component signal to a larger TV. The RGB has synced with everything I've thrown at it, it doesn't care if it's composite sync, composite video, sync on green, whatever. The image is outstanding, although scanlines aren't very pronounced if that's your kinda thing. It's not as sharp as some PVMS (I think it's a 600 line) but I think it's perfect for gaming. Easy to tate too.

The only bad thing about it is that some of the geometry functions are not available in the service menu, you need to take the back off, which I have never done. As a result, the image is rotated a few degrees counter clockwise as I'm not opening the beast up.