Question on Neo Geo AES power supply

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Yeah ive been using the MD adaptor on my 2 here for a long time, and a friend of mine has used a Mega Drive adaptor on his since 1993... Never an issue.

Neob

n00b
Ah great, then i'll hook mine up without having to shit my pants :).

Thanks.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
What is the output on it and polarity of connector? Makes no difference what the transformer is or was made for, its the output characteristics that are important.

AES5

n00b
Hello there, help a noob here please!

I bought a Neo Geo AES japanese system,it has on the label:
NEO-GEO
Model No : NEO-O
Rating : 8w
Use Pro-Pow3 AC adapter only
Serial number 90A 244171

But it didn't came with the original power supply, but with a nintendo one that says :
AC 100V 50/60HZ 18VA
DC10V 850mA

It is working fine now but for what I understand reading the thread is that 850mA is to low to run high mega carts is that right? So I ask I would be fine with a Neo-store 1200 mA or I need a 2000 mA one?
Any help is welcome!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It is working fine now but for what I understand reading the thread is that 850mA is to low to run high mega carts is that right? So I ask I would be fine with a Neo-store 1200 mA or I need a 2000 mA one? Any help is welcome!

The one in the Neo strore is kinda low and overpriced. I would go with one with at least 2A output.

AES5

n00b
Thanks Xian Xi, I'll look for another one!

Do you know how much is the SNK Pro-Pow3 original output?I searched the web and the most I found is 1A but I can't tell if it is original.

Last edited:

AES5

n00b
It was either 10v@1A or 11v@700mA.

Thank you again Xian Xi!
But now I'm curious, because from what I understood is that even the original SNK one is not enough to feed properly the AES with the high mega carts, how it can be ?

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Hello,

New member here, sorry to bump this old thread but i need some help.
I have a neo geo aes with no power supply and need to find a suitable replacement.
The model number of my system is 18,580 and it says use pro pow.

From what I been reading around online, seems like any 5v 3a supply should fit the bill correct?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
That's correct 5v 3 amp. Assuming someone hasn't swapped out the motherboard for a 3-x etc.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I think to be sure you could open the AES and post pics of its board here.

Regards

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I think to be sure you could open the AES and post pics of its board here.

Regards

That's probably a good idea after that last person had a rev 1 AES case with a 3-3 board inside lol. Kind of reminds me of a time a few years back when 3 or 4 people posted messages to a chap on a forum who had a 'faulty' Amiga. Messages went back and forwards over a week or two - initial description was no video. The chap was told to buy a multimeter, people explained how to use it to check voltages etc. As time went on I asked the question - You are connecting the composite output from the modulator to the composite IN on your TV aren't you? Then he realised he had been plugging the composite output into the RF in his TV...

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
That's correct 5v 3 amp. Assuming someone hasn't swapped out the motherboard for a 3-x etc.

This seems to be a common thing with AESes with 'Use PRO-POW only" on them but are fine running on 9v PSUs. Mine is exactly the same. Says to use PRO-POW but has a regulator and takes 9v fine - 3-4 PCB revision (my old one was the same as well). I read that SNK had a transition period between the old and newer PCB revisions where you could use 5v or 9v PSUs (but has the label to 'Use PRO-POW only'), but I don't know if anyone has/can confirm this.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
This seems to be a common thing with AESes with 'Use PRO-POW only" on them but are fine running on 9v PSUs. Mine is exactly the same. Says to use PRO-POW but has a regulator and takes 9v fine - 3-4 PCB revision (my old one was the same as well). I read that SNK had a transition period between the old and newer PCB revisions where you could use 5v or 9v PSUs (but has the label to 'Use PRO-POW only'), but I don't know if anyone has/can confirm this.

That would explain it!!! Commodore did the same thing with the C64C - shipping the new C64C style case with a breadbin motherboard.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I uploaded some of the images online

http://i.imgur.com/hMjPhhC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8TTrktd.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2dFSFbf.jpg

So you guys were saying I might be ok with a 9v adapter?

I believe your model is the first ones made, because it has the daughterboard on the memory card area. IIRC, it needs a 5V @ 3A adapter.

Regards.

How would one swap polarity on a 9v 300 a adapter ?

Generally, you cut the connector and join the cable again with the cables switched. It's just 2 cables (+ and -)

Regards.

Last edited:

Spocky

n00b
I recently bought a Neo Geo AES console without any accessories. I need help in getting the right power supply for it. Can anyone help me, please?

The serial number on the bottom of the console is 005501 but I dont know whether the serial number matches to the mainboard.

mainboard_2048.jpg

Spocky

n00b
+5v@3A, negative 2.1/2.5mm tip.

Thank you. Do you know where I can get a PSU (input 230 Volt)? Maybe a original one from SNK?

Can you see whether the mainboard is original (SN 005501) or has it been swapped?

Can you see which region does this console have?

Thank you very much.