H.A.S supergun

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Any you guys have one of these?

Question, I'm not tech savvy on this stuff at all so excuse my ignorance if this is stupid. :emb:

Do you have different options to set the sync rate for pcb's that don't run exactly at 60hz so they will display correctly?

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I have RGB's HAS supergun, version 2. (Version 3 is the current model). It is a very good price point and is still a very robust SG in terms of build quality, features, and general ability.

It doesn't have the functionality to set sync rates. I have not seen this on any SG I have used. I have thrown a lot of different boards, from different eras, at the HAS and it has run them all fine, even those requiring -5v (SMASH TV.)

The digital voltmeter is a nice touch. The only short-coming I see with it is the required arcade screw-terminal power supply.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The only short-coming I see with it is the required arcade screw-terminal power supply.
I made a thread somewhere on here, but I added a Molex connector on the ends and hooked it up to one of Happ's arcade PSUs that look more like a PC PSU than those thinner models they have. Power switch built in, adjustable voltage and it's nice and compact.

gusmoney

10 Year Member
I've never crimped molex but that doesn't seem like a bad idea or a hard project. I'll try and find your thread.

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I have a Version 3 and it works great. Excellent picture clarity with an RGB SCART cable, and I like the 4 player option for my Capcom, Irem, and Konami boards. I connect mine with a Prima Power 42PP0606 arcade power supply and use a power strip to kick the power off and on.

Overall, highly recommended.

IMG_2713 (2).jpg

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Thanks for the replies dudes.

I got a good setup now, a Sigma AV 7000 with scart hooked to a RGB to component converter running on an old lcd I have used for all my old stuff. I got two boards that won't sync up to my lcd I was just wondering if the HAS let's you mess with it. I know it's my display I need a good CRT because how picky lcds can be for some of this stuff. The lcd has been great over the years it's accepted everything I have hooked to it and ran without lag or interference but arcade stuff is another story it seems.

Only two pcb's not syncing up are Raiden 2 & Big Karnak. Raiden 2 shows the complete picture but rolls steadily. Big Karnak won't display at all has invalid signal on lcd. So Big Karnak runs even more funny sync rate then Raiden 2 perhaps. Hell at least it shows a picture on Raiden 2.

Just thought if the HAS had the option of selectable syncs it might be an option to run these two on the lcd, maybe not like I said I'm a dumbass on this tech stuff lol.

Last edited:

gusmoney

10 Year Member
Yeah, sounds like it is a display problem cause I run Raiden II via a HAS on a PVM.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I too run Raiden II with my HAS v2 on a PVM without any problems. This is my first supergun and I've been pretty happy with it.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Seibu's boards have atypical sync rates, as do some others. My Zero Team would probably do bad on my LCD, but looks fine on my CRT.

I think you need a sync strike, OP.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Marty, your best bet is finding a Small PVM or BVM. Something low key, like a 13 incher. It will allow you to pretty much run anything you throw at it. This beats getting another SG plus Sync Cleaner and whatever else you might need to run it correctly. Did you try something like that OSSC or whatever it's called. Maybe that will get it to look right on a lcd. This is exactly the reason why I sold my framemeister and stuck with crt's.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
HAS 2 has no option to change anything on the sync of the board. SG's just a passthrough for it to the RGB output.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Seibu's boards have atypical sync rates, as do some others. My Zero Team would probably do bad on my LCD, but looks fine on my CRT.

I was on the Arcade Forge website and was going to mention the Sync Strike to Marty but I wasn't sure since I never owned one.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member

Joe, im intrigued what is a sync strike?:emb:

Marty, your best bet is finding a Small PVM or BVM. Something low key, like a 13 incher. It will allow you to pretty much run anything you throw at it. This beats getting another SG plus Sync Cleaner and whatever else you might need to run it correctly. Did you try something like that OSSC or whatever it's called. Maybe that will get it to look right on a lcd. This is exactly the reason why I sold my framemeister and stuck with crt's.

Jack, my problem is I would need x2 PVM's or BVM's because one game is vertical and the other is horizontal lol. I don't want to flip these alot to play games. Because i have about 50/50 vertical, horizontal done this year's ago when I had my first M.A.S. supergun back in the early 90's and it trashed a couple of CRT's lol. Man I need to brush up, what is the OSSC?

I was on the Arcade Forge website and was going to mention the Sync Strike to Marty but I wasn't sure since I never owned one.

Damn, this could work for me you think the sync strike? Man I'm so out of the know on this stuff. I really appreciate you guys patients. I'm just getting back into arcade stuff after many years feel like a idiot.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I won't lie, I have no experience with the product, but from what I understand, it will sync your signal to match your monitor. Beyond that, I'm not sure what's possible, especially input/output wise.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I won't lie, I have no experience with the product, but from what I understand, it will sync your signal to match your monitor. Beyond that, I'm not sure what's possible, especially input/output wise.

Damn, might be what I need here maybe. Hopefully someone will have some hands on experience with it and can chime in. Be nice to have it in between the Scart cable and component cables and it work with nothing else.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Joe, im intrigued what is a sync strike?:emb:

Jack, my problem is I would need x2 PVM's or BVM's because one game is vertical and the other is horizontal lol. I don't want to flip these alot to play games. Because i have about 50/50 vertical, horizontal done this year's ago when I had my first M.A.S. supergun back in the early 90's and it trashed a couple of CRT's lol. Man I need to brush up, what is the OSSC?

Damn, this could work for me you think the sync strike? Man I'm so out of the know on this stuff. I really appreciate you guys patients. I'm just getting back into arcade stuff after many years feel like a idiot.

Yea, I hear you bro. Lcd/Led's are much easier to rotate, look pretty, and space savers.

http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strike-Devices/Sync-Strike::15.html

You could try it out and see what happens. The OSSC is a upscaler like the Xrgb Mini but from Todd's reviews it doesn't suffer from input lag. Don't know if that will fix your sync issues with arcade boards. That might require a sync cleaner like James mentioned. I think the Sync Strike is a sync cleaner, I think. Maybe someone else with more knowledge can chime in.

Last edited:

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Man I'm confused but thanks guys, looks like a few possible options that might work hopefully. If I had any tech experience it would be so much less confusing for me but I don't.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Honestly it probably won't fix the sync issues. If im not mistaken the OSSC is simply a linedoubler/triple etc and does nothing to the sync signal. But it could be worth a shot as HDMI timing signals are usually more lenient but not every tv follows the same specs so ymmv.

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
The HAS V3 has a jumper setting you can use to either use your board's sync, or to have the HAS regenerate the sync. Tha latter option stabilizes a lot of boards that have unstable sync, like Raiden and the Taito F3.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Honestly, it's your display. The only way you are probably going to get PCBs with oddball refresh rates (like Seibu or Midway boards) to work is by either: 1. Use something with a framebuffer that can force them to 60Hz. 2. Or replace the display.

The XRGB-Mini has a framebuffer in it that allows you to enable forced 60Hz conversions. However you lose the smooth scrolling and will get some jitter doing this. Plus you take a hit with the input lag introduced by the XRGB-Mini.

It's pretty common for modern computer LCDs to sync with pretty much anything between 50 to 60Hz. You could use something like the OSSC (Open Source Scan Converter) to upscan convert your low res boards and feed the output into a computer LCD. The OSSC doesn't have a framebuffer in it so it passes the input refresh rate to the output. Input 55Hz 320x240 and that will be converted to something like 960x720 @ 55Hz. Maintains smooth scrolling providing your display can handle it. Since it has no framebuffer, there is zero lag. Also, it has native scart input so you can dump the Scart to component device.

I have had really good luck with Dell LCDs working with pretty much anything between 50 to 60Hz.

Last edited:

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Honestly, it's your display. The only way you are probably going to get PCBs with oddball refresh rates (like Seibu or Midway boards) to work is by either: 1. Use something with a framebuffer that can force them to 60Hz. 2. Or replace the display.

The XRGB-Mini has a framebuffer in it that allows you to enable forced 60Hz conversions. However you lose the smooth scrolling and will get some jitter doing this. Plus you take a hit with the input lag introduced by the XRGB-Mini.

It's pretty common for modern computer LCDs to sync with pretty much anything between 50 to 60Hz. You could use something like the OSSC (Open Source Scan Converter) to upscan convert your low res boards and feed the output into a computer LCD. The OSSC doesn't have a framebuffer in it so it passes the input refresh rate to the output. Input 55Hz 320x240 and that will be converted to something like 960x720 @ 55Hz. Maintains smooth scrolling providing your display can handle it. Since it has no framebuffer, there is zero lag. Also, it has native scart input so you can dump the Scart to component device.

I have had really good luck with Dell LCDs working with pretty much anything between 50 to 60Hz.

Thanks for the solid advice Todd. Looks like that's my best bet do the Dell & OSSC. Shit i got way to much money in all this stuff now, got to get it done right.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Marty,

Just to rule out some base stuff, I had the same issues with Raiden II and the fix was simply to just start the game before you turn on your TV/Monitor. This forces a resync of sorts.
You can also just turn off the TV and then back on again or use a degauss (if CRT of course)

I dunno, it's worth a try but the sibeu board is the only one I have to do this with on my PVM or consumer grade crts.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Marty,

Just to rule out some base stuff, I had the same issues with Raiden II and the fix was simply to just start the game before you turn on your TV/Monitor. This forces a resync of sorts.
You can also just turn off the TV and then back on again or use a degauss (if CRT of course)

I dunno, it's worth a try but the sibeu board is the only one I have to do this with on my PVM or consumer grade crts.

Hey bud yeah thanks,

I have tried that also, I found that old thread you made about Raiden 2. :cool: It sucks Because you can see the full image of the game but picture just has a steady roll. It's this Sony LCD, I was really hoping it would do the arcade stuff because it's worked with everything I have thrown at it over the years. Ah well, time to spend more money lol.