The Neo Geo's Compatibility with Your TV

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Im interested to see if the Onkyo works.

Total bust on the Onkyo. It had no idea what to do with it in any format. At best, S-Video would flash on the screen a little before going black, but the rest just stayed at the blue "no signal" screen.

I was quite surprised at the quality of the output on the TV when connecting to it by component. I'd expecting the syncing problems to be worse but it wasn't. It really looked great ... like that was the target platform.

Edit: Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoI1WwfZ7h4&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
I didnt think it would, that "killer deinterlacer" as you call it will probably be pretty basic, as a comparison, think about how much you paid for the Onkyo AVR, and how much a decent stand alone scaler is worth ( about $2,000 or so ;) )

Does it say what scaler it has built into the Onkyo?

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

Nothing to do with the refresh rate. Youre asking it to deinterlace a progresive signal because it is not within it's specs.

The Harman/Kardon amps have the same scaler in them. Very basic. Try any retro console, none of the 240p consoles work, Sega Saturn will work for high res games like Virtua Fighter 2.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
often run MVSs through a Supergun and Scaler from arcadeforge.de since I do not have a TV/CRT. The result (with Scanlines - check out the SLG3000) is pretty good, actually. Everything that outputs RGB works as well. I use an Asus ML248H LCD I picked up cheap.

Rauhwelt

n00b
Just got my Omega and I plugged it in of course. Using component and the picture is great, really sharp and colors look good. One problem exists and I believe it's because of my tv.

Recorded a quick video with my phone, sorry for the crappy quality, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2O1-iORPB0 (really noticable from 0:18 -> & also use 1080p)

The picture cuts itself and you can see the upper area appearing from below. Now it only cuts an inch or less so it doesn't affect gameplay but still, it's there. I'm using an LG 47LE8500 lcd which used to be one of the high-end tv's few years ago. I guess there's nothing I can do except change the tv which unfortunately is out of the question.

Should I buy the omega scart cable and try with that, would it make a difference? Again I'm not blaming the Omega, I think it's awesome and the problem occurs most probably because of the tv.

Any suggestions?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Sorry should've clarified myself. The 1080p meant the video, youtube. Don't know how I could turn off the tv's own scaler, is that even possible?

Thought you might have been using some external scaler.

xsq

Thought you might have been using some external scaler.
Which might actually be a solution for the issues you (Rauhwelt) are having. An external scaler let's you adjust the picture so you can workaround the crap the internal scaler of your TV is doing. Maybe the GBS8220 would be worth a try?

Rauhwelt

n00b
So I'm basically stuck with this with my current tv? The GBS costs $40 + shipping which is probably a lot. Would the outcome be any different if I'd buy the Omega scart cable? It's only $15+shipping. I'm glad the area cut is really really small and it doesn't affect gameplay but it would be nice to have a full screen.

Thanks for the tips.

xsq

The GBS costs $40 + shipping which is probably a lot.
Yes and that's kinda cheap for a scaler still... I'm a litte surprised you can't adjust the picture on that TV, seems to be quite a good model - have you browsed through all the menus?

Would the outcome be any different if I'd buy the Omega scart cable?
Depends on your TV. The signal would change (RGB instead of Component), so it might be worth a shot (your TV needs to be able to do RGB. Check your manual).

Rauhwelt

n00b
Yes and that's kinda cheap for a scaler still... I'm a litte surprised you can't adjust the picture on that TV, seems to be quite a good model - have you browsed through all the menus?

Depends on your TV. The signal would change (RGB instead of Component), so it might be worth a shot (your TV needs to be able to do RGB. Check your manual).
I feel like an idiot now... I was messing with the menus and chose zoom and apparently you can adjust the zoom values and whatnot. I managed to set it so it's somewhat in the middle and it doesn't cut anything off the top. I can live with it for now. eventho it's widescreen.

I hate to sound like a broken record but I got my first aes game today and as I have a rgb modded aes I tried it and it doesn't work. It's 99% because it uses scart and my screen just flashes constantly. I tried it with a CRT and it displays fine so yeah.

Now I don't want to buy a 300€ mini to display it so would it make a difference with a £35 scart->hdmi liekeng switch from eBay?

Simply put, the mvs works now but my modded aes just flashes and flickers on my telly when turned on.

xsq

I feel like an idiot now...
don't ;) we all make mistakes, good to read that cmvs is working for you now.

I got my first aes game today and as I have a rgb modded aes I tried it and it doesn't work. It's 99% because it uses scart and my screen just flashes constantly. I tried it with a CRT and it displays fine so yeah.

Now I don't want to buy a 300€ mini to display it so would it make a difference with a £35 scart->hdmi liekeng switch from eBay?
Have you checked the manual of you TV to see if it is supporting RGB scart? I'd be a little surprised if it didn't... Don't know about those switches/converters. Most of the time they just make the video look like total crap.

Rauhwelt

n00b
don't ;) we all make mistakes, good to read that cmvs is working for you now.

Have you checked the manual of you TV to see if it is supporting RGB scart? I'd be a little surprised if it didn't... Don't know about those switches/converters. Most of the time they just make the video look like total crap.

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

You were right the scart supports RGB but I think I'm screwed anyway. As I said I tried it today with a crappy crt and the picture was fine. Now when I plug it in to my tv, it's crap. If I reset the console I get the white bootup screen but the picture is still unplayable. I recorded a video, hopefully someone can help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09_jtEYuqg0

This is the first time I plugged anything to the scart connector and by the looks of it the scart is dead?

Last edited:

xsq

This is the first time I plugged anything to the scart connector and by the looks of it the scart is dead?
Well, don't you have like a DVD player or some other console around you could try the scart in on your telly with?

My best guess is that your TV doesn't get along with the AES's refresh rate. Could be that you'll need a sync cleaner... maybe build it yourself or look for a sync strike...

Rauhwelt

n00b
Well, don't you have like a DVD player or some other console around you could try the scart in on your telly with?

My best guess is that your TV doesn't get along with the AES's refresh rate. Could be that you'll need a sync cleaner... maybe build it yourself or look for a sync strike...

Sadly no. The AES is my only machine that uses scart.

I believe it is a sync issue, would the sync strike fix it? Also do you know if it works without the GBS-8200? Everyone has those two together and I would probably need just the sync strike. Unfortunately I don't have the skills to build anything by myself and no one seems to know for sure what is going on.

I'm probably going to buy the sync strike or the SLG-in-a-box.

xsq

I believe it is a sync issue, would the sync strike fix it? Also do you know if it works without the GBS-8200? Everyone has those two together and I would probably need just the sync strike. Unfortunately I don't have the skills to build anything by myself and no one seems to know for sure what is going on.

I'm probably going to buy the sync strike or the SLG-in-a-box.
If it is a sync issue, the sync strike from arcadeforge alone might do the trick. Keep in mind that the sync strike might need a power supply to work properly. As for the "SLG in a box": it is a nice piece of hardware and you get scanlines which rocks, but due to the integrated GBS-8200 scaler there will also be some little lag.

You could order the sync strike to try it out and later add the scaler and/or the SLG 3000 from arcadeforge to the chain. You can build your own "DIY Scaler" that way, it would consist of the same components as the "SLG in a box". I have it and for me it works just great.

NEO-GEO man

Itllbe the 15.75kHz progressive scan signal, more so than the 50 or 60Hz refresh rate.

howami

n00b
Well i have a Toshiba 47WLG66P with my AES and MVS i get black screens from time to time. Got a Epson ET-5500. The same...

Bought a Framemeister. The AES is fine but the MVS is unplayable. The Screen is hardly shaking. Even with Sync-Level adjust. Very disappointing...

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
I have a Neo MVS 2-slot MV-2F
Encoder is the Atlona RGB to YUV converter boards
TV is a Sony Trinitron 32" (doesn't support progressive and will add model # later)

Screen looks AMAZING, I was planning on getting one of those two popular encoders you guys get on here but now I don't think I will need it since the picture is damn near the best picture quality I have ever got from any of my RGB modded systems. Just wow!

Only thing is the screen is slightly cut off on the bottom, I can only see a part of the "insert coin" messages but maybe the other encoders do that too? If not then that is the only reason I would buy another one.

Here is a shot of the image, the picture doesn't do it justice

imagegnkj.jpg

Last edited:

NeoGeoMax

n00b
My result with a Sony 32R420 LED TV:

Neo Geo MVS MV-1FZ consolized
SCART hookup

Not a single problem, the image looks bright and really nice