Damn Dirty Board: Battery Mod Help Needed

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
Dissected this board to pull the battery to per-emptively fight leakage. Once the parts come in, will do the non-rechargeable battery mod. However, by visual inspection, my 4-slot seems to be a variant that is NOT covered over at JammaNation-X for the battery mod. The board says it is a NEO-MVH M4V. Are the principles the same or is there a guide I can follow along precisely with.

On a side note, this is one of the dirtiest PCB's I have ever seen. She clearly has been tampered with. Seems she was pillaged for spacers. Those will have to be replaced. Also, There is some oxidation on the case. I hear oxalic acid works well to remove metal oxidation. I bought some of that stuff to get rid of hard water stains on my shower glass. Will clean the case with the same stuff and report back the results. Anyone seen a dirtier MVS before :rolleyes: ?
TopBoard.jpgBottomBoard.jpgCase.jpgBatteryArea.jpgModelNumber.jpg

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Same deal. Remove the 470 ohm resistor,etc.
A whisk(flexible hard bristle) will take most of that loose dirt right off to the point it will look good.
BB

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
Same deal. Remove the 470 ohm resistor,etc.

Thanks bud. I was thinking the same. I see no HRP100 diode, so I didn't think there was a need swap around 1S1588 diode like with the MV-4FS board.

A whisk(flexible hard bristle) will take most of that loose dirt right off to the point it will look good.
BB

Cleaned a bunch of board so far. Mostly with Simple Green, sometimes some acetone, compressed air, and drying outside during the hot summer under shade. Just never seen a board that doesn't have a fan so dirty before. It was shocking after the case cover was removed. Must have been in some dank strip bar in a previous life.

Will report back and also update you guys about the oxalic acid scrub of the case cover.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just wash the board with soap, water and a soft bristle toothbrush. Use canned air to get the water out from under the chips and let dry in the sun for roughly 2 hours. Make sure to remove all socketed chips and batteries prior to washing.

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
I pulled the dips, sprayed the board down with Simple Green, and applied toothbrush for those tough spots. Washed it under the sink, then poured distilled water to wash away any hard water residue. Blasted air on it from the compressor and finally baked it in the oven to extract moisture out of the plastic parts that absorbed moisture. Normally, this is done under shade on a hot summer day, but it is winter in this hemisphere right now :). Looks great! I'll post pics shortly.