Samurai Shodown (Spirit) RPG translation (French to English)

Are you interested by an English version of Samurai Spirits RPG?

• Yes sure, keep going!

Votes: 110 98.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Appreciate your work on this!

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Hey apoc, i haven't had time to look at the intro due to work. Have you changed the font yet?
I did.
I just re-injected the font LNB used with one difference: the edge is black instead of grey. Again it's just for me to be able to make the difference between old and new tiles.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Is it OK now?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
looking good, like it better than with grey border!

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Hello, I'm new here. I dont know how to vote on the Poll up top but I would vote a resounding YES! I've been waiting for something like this for ages. The previous person that did it I guess gave up, or something. I looked up the youtube videos and people are saying he lost his work in a computer crash or something. From what I can tell in 4 pages you are making excellent progress, Apocalypse! Thank you so much for your hard work. I hope someday we can play this in English.

I would glady pay for the translation, providing it was actually finished haha

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I know it's been mentioned but if there is busy work to be distributed about, please let us know. I'm not a programmer/hacker, etc but I'd still love to help.

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I know it's been mentioned but if there is busy work to be distributed about, please let us know. I'm not a programmer/hacker, etc but I'd still love to help.
Thanks. At this stage of the project the most part of the job is the translation so unless you speak French...

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I don't, but I can use Google Translate! haha

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Do you have the script?

I think pulling some funds together, and paying a french translator/university tutor, would be a pretty realistic option. I would think the text can't be more than a days worth of work, that is if there is a script printed out. Even if it was just screenshots of every single piece of text, compiled in a binder.

edit:

just realize you speak french.

If there is really that much text, could this still be an option? I just wouldn't think there would be that much text in a samurai shodown RPG. I can't imagine the story being that deep.

Last edited:

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Do you have the script?
Of course I do.

I think pulling some funds together, and paying a french translator/university tutor, would be a pretty realistic option. I would think the text can't be more than a days worth of work, that is if there is a script printed out. Even if it was just screenshots of every single piece of text, compiled in a binder.
The text represents thousands of lines! More than few days of work.
Plus you have many constraints:
- length of text: you can't just translate the text, it must fit in the same space as the OG text
- special characters: the script contains both visible characters for the player and invisible characters used to separate text screens, display a specific avatar above the text etc. These characters must be kept at the exact same position.

edit:

just realize you speak french.

If there is really that much text, could this still be an option? I just wouldn't think there would be that much text in a samurai shodown RPG. I can't imagine the story being that deep.
Same here, I didn't expect the text to be that long!
Basically you have 6 different characters and 2 scenarios, that's 12 different stories. Even in the shops, sellers can speak differently depending on the character you chose (although it doesn't really have an impact on the story but I guess it's because in Japanese people don't speak the same with men and women, etc.).
And the story is pretty deep yes, I won't spoil the game but be prepared to travel a lot!

Yoshi

20 Year Member
The complexity is appreciated, as are your efforts to finally get this translated for us.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
This is my most anticipated RPG of 2016.

I remember telling Deuce how much I was looking forward to his translation, and I even offered to donate some money through Paypal. I remember him responding to the effect of "eh, temper your expectations, it's not very good."

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Honestly, I'd be fine with an imperfect translation, as long as it got the point/story across.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Dude is on fire. If only there was a no encounter hack to make checking faster...

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Why do it at all if you're not going for perfection the first time around? This is a very time consuming project, it wouldn't make sense to not complete his project.

Awesome!
I said imperfect. Not incomplete.

Jonathan32

n00b
Thanks for all your hard work. I have a suggestion but I don't know if it would be looked down upon. But Deuce has put the whole translated game up on youtube. maybe you could watch his videos for the parts that are giving you trouble with fitting in the correct amount of text and see how he fitted it in there. I don't really know how any of the technical stuff works but like I said its just a suggestion. Not sure if that would help you or not. Good luck though and thanks again for your work!!