What are your big time homecarts you still want that are somewhat attainable?

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Miss me with this Big Tymer BS. Take it from this Executive Status forum member (with his feet on the desk)... Ya ain’t fit to shine my shoes.

Educate yourself below:

taken from "http://www.neogeofreak.com/glossary.htm"

Collector terms / ladder system
Used to describe ones collection level status by other NeoGeo fans, gamers, and collectors.

- AES
Aspiring Freak - newbie in the Neo AES collecting game. Under 50 AES carts
NeoGeoFreak: - reaching 100+ AES carts with 5 being converts.
Big Tymer: - person with 4 Big Games or 3 Big Game and 8 converted carts.
Executive: - having ALL the NeoGeo carts and Big Games in your collection.
Super Freak: - the pinnacle of AES collecting. Owning all the unreleased/converts cartridges.

*(A person can own SuperFreak items and not be deemed a SuperFreak collector)

- MVS
Aspiring Freak - newbie in the MVS collecting game. Under 50 MVS carts
NeoGeoFreak: - reaching 80+ MVS carts
Big Tymer: - reaching 100+ MVS carts .
Executive: - having the completed MVS cartridge line-up.
Super Freak: - the pinnacle of MVS collecting. Owning all MVS carts and unreleased prototype games.

*(A person can own SuperFreak items and not be deemed a SuperFreak collector)​

What counts as a "Big Game"? We talking slugs, blazing, golf games? And how tf do 8 converts mixed with 3 real games make you a big tymer? Miss me with that poser shit haha

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I wonder if wearing a 80's used car salesman suit and a Rolex can help me get to Big Tymer status.

edit: man NGF had people with too much disposable income and nothing going on in life by the balls. That's some room temp IQ manipulation shit. "Oh thanks for buying some carts from us, how many do you have? Under 50? Uh-oh, better buy more so BIG TYMERS don't make fun of you".

Last edited:

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
I can't even fathom owning 50 AES carts, let alone being shamed for it. For fucks sake I hardly own 10

Kid Fenris

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member
I'm a cheap bastard, and my personal rule for buying old games is to never pay more for something than it originally cost new. Of course, that's $200 for older Neo Geo stuff. And they cost more by the end of the 1990s, didn't they?

Among the sub-$200 games I'd want, there's The King of Fighters '95 and The Super Spy. And they get more expensive every time I check.

If I had to go above that, I would get one of the Last Blade titles. Maybe the first one, since it's cheaper and I'm fine with the digital reissue of the second game.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I can't even fathom owning 50 AES carts, let alone being shamed for it. For fucks sake I hardly own 10

Yeah seriously. A few years ago I had over 40 games. Currently I have about 20-25 games I think..but even that feels bloated and I could easily trim some fat.

Really the only “expensive” games I have are some KOFs, Last Blade, and SS4.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
The main ones that I still would like to get at some point are Andro Dunos, Eightman, Flying Power Disc, Last Resort, Miracle Adventure, Ninja Commando, Sonic Wings 2 and SvC Chaos in Japanese format. And also to swap out my English Viewpoint for a Japanese version.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
The main ones that I still would like to get at some point are Andro Dunos, Eightman, Flying Power Disc, Last Resort, Miracle Adventure, Ninja Commando, Sonic Wings 2 and SvC Chaos in Japanese format. And also to swap out my English Viewpoint for a Japanese version.

Has anyone here ever beaten viewpoint without cheating? I’m pretty good at shoot em ups and I can only get to the third level boss so far.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Has anyone here ever beaten viewpoint without cheating? I’m pretty good at shoot em ups and I can only get to the third level boss so far.

Yeah its a tough one... I once got to level 5 but generally I can only get to level 4. It will go back in the cab again soon and give it another good hammering.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

I haven't beaten it but an average player should be able to reach the third level boss the first time they play the game.

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
There are a couple more I would like to pick up, if I found them for a good price: Mark of the Wolves and Metal Slug X.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member

Yes; it just boiled down to having a lot of time 20+ years ago and tons of memorization and dedicated practice. These days, using save states to practice certain stage sections and boss encounters would be faster, but I force myself to learn via single runs. I always start from stage 1 and work on my play-throughs by developing consistency from there while pushing a little further each time.

It’s timely, but it’s a process that I have fun with and helped me run through games like the nes Ninja Gaiden titles, Magician Lord, Last Resort etc when I was younger. Dedicated practice and memorizing levels by forced single run playthroughs to gradually push progress. Your muscle memory will become second nature and you’ll enter the “zone” more often thanks to all the preceding levels becoming second nature.

This also reinforces efficient play to retain your powerups which helps immensely in other shooters (looking at you, Pulstar). Starting some stages with zero powerups after using a continue makes some game’s later levels 10 times harder than they would otherwise be (infamous “frog stage” from Magician Lord) if reached with appropriate power levels.

If you hit a progress wall, take a break and tackle it with a fresh mind in another session. Keep practicing and have fun :buttrock:

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
The NGF definitions are hilarious. Funny thing is that half the Neo Library isn't even worth owning, even more so with the current market prices.

Obviously NGF is the spirit animal of all collectards.

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 3.50.31 AM.png

Proof from the DHP that Dion was always full of shit.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Yeah its a tough one... I once got to level 5 but generally I can only get to level 4. It will go back in the cab again soon and give it another good hammering.

Yes I’ve been leaving it in my AES and playing at least once a day. Now I got to the 4th level boss. It’s definitely going to be a celebration if I ever finally beat it.

I totally agree judging a collection by how many carts you own is foolish. Big collections with lots of filler doesn’t do it for me like 20-25 of the best games.. However if you have 100 Neo Geo games and genuinely like and play them all more power to you.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Ok so if you have less than 50 games you're an "aspiring freak". If you have 80 MVS carts or 100 AES, you're a "Neo Geo freak". Why is the AES number higher than MVS and what about if you own 50-79 MVS or 50-99 AES? You're in freak limbo?

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Lord, I'm getting Neo-PTSD from the Dion posts from the DHP. lol. Does he have a category now for "Neo Old-Tymer?"

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Ok so if you have less than 50 games you're an "aspiring freak". If you have 80 MVS carts or 100 AES, you're a "Neo Geo freak". Why is the AES number higher than MVS and what about if you own 50-79 MVS or 50-99 AES? You're in freak limbo?

Asking questions like that gets you a Dion headlock scenario.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Ya its a bit crazy, AES prices have gone bonkers since then. You could get most of the JPN library for under $100 when that was written. Im pushing 50 carts but i only play a half dozen or so regularly. Not a huge desire to play World Heroes when i have Garou and Last Blade but even that game seems to have tripled in price in the last year. Most of the commons i have i found in lots and didnt really seek them out.

With AES less is more and you are better off just getting a few great games that you enjoy. You should be shamed for not owning a copy of Sam Sho 2 ./ Sam Spirits 2 though.