NEOSD MVS Support thread !

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
No worries =D I played a fair bit of Garou and other games over the last few days - no problems at all with that update. I even completed Garou without issue.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Don't know if it has been mentioned: Has anyone tried the NeoSD with a 2/4/6 slot MVS with the rest of the slots filled?

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Yep, my 4 slot has 3 normal games and the neosd...everything is great, can't say it is a special cart unless you enter the menu button combo.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Don't know if it has been mentioned: Has anyone tried the NeoSD with a 2/4/6 slot MVS with the rest of the slots filled?
Yep, I've tested with a combination of carts in my 4 slot, including the 161 in 1 with the Neo SD in any of the slots. Also, 2 x Neo SD are happy to be in seperate slots and both behave normally with 2 other normal carts (or the 161 in 1).

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Yep, my 4 slot has 3 normal games and the neosd...everything is great, can't say it is a special cart unless you enter the menu button combo.

Yep, I've tested with a combination of carts in my 4 slot, including the 161 in 1 with the Neo SD in any of the slots. Also, 2 x Neo SD are happy to be in seperate slots and both behave normally with 2 other normal carts (or the 161 in 1).

Great news. I'm gonna do some maintenance repair work on my 6 slot (mostly change capacitors) and use this with a HAS supergun and try out the NeoSD MVS (think I am going with this version) Thanks :)

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
O got the same update as GadgetUK, and I'm glad to report this fixed the piracy warning issue on MotW and KoF '99 when using the NeoSD with my MV1-FZ. I did discover one more issue, which can be caused by something else entirely, and I believe it was there from the start. Playing Pulstar with Uni BIOS cheats enabled can easily crash the game. I didn't do extensive testing on this, but I did get reproducable results when turning the cheats on would crash the game which worked fine with cheats disables.

This can be a Uni BIOS 2.0 issue for all I know, but I thought it was worth a mention. I guess the best way to test it would be to ask GadgetUK to play the game with the cheats enabled. What happens when it crashes is I get the exception handler much like the screen I would get on Shock Troopers 2, but this isn't remedied by cleaning the backup RAM.

*** UPDATE ***

I've also experienced random freezing in Matrimelee. This isn't frequent, but does happen. What's weird is that the MVS doesn't crash completely. I can still bring up the Uni BIOS menu or exit to the NeoSD menu with proper button combinations, but the game itself freezes. That's another thing GadgetUK could check out to see if this is reproducable on his MVS. Either leave the game running or try to play through the whole thing. I left it on, took a shower, and came back to a frozen attract fight. I reset the whole thing, tried beating the game and it froze up on the fifth fight I think.

Last edited:

neodev

Neosd Tech
O got the same update as GadgetUK, and I'm glad to report this fixed the piracy warning issue on MotW and KoF '99 when using the NeoSD with my MV1-FZ. I did discover one more issue, which can be caused by something else entirely, and I believe it was there from the start. Playing Pulstar with Uni BIOS cheats enabled can easily crash the game. I didn't do extensive testing on this, but I did get reproducable results when turning the cheats on would crash the game which worked fine with cheats disables.

This can be a Uni BIOS 2.0 issue for all I know, but I thought it was worth a mention. I guess the best way to test it would be to ask GadgetUK to play the game with the cheats enabled. What happens when it crashes is I get the exception handler much like the screen I would get on Shock Troopers 2, but this isn't remedied by cleaning the backup RAM.

*** UPDATE ***

I've also experienced random freezing in Matrimelee. This isn't frequent, but does happen. What's weird is that the MVS doesn't crash completely. I can still bring up the Uni BIOS menu or exit to the NeoSD menu with proper button combinations, but the game itself freezes. That's another thing GadgetUK could check out to see if this is reproducable on his MVS. Either leave the game running or try to play through the whole thing. I left it on, took a shower, and came back to a frozen attract fight. I reset the whole thing, tried beating the game and it froze up on the fifth fight I think.

Thanks for pointing about matrimelee, that's an old issue that seems to have resurfaced because of some changes in the way the fpga works now. Can you check if it doesn't happen if you have arcade mode on and the sd removed?

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Hello, I think I asked few times but not sure I got a clear answer... would it technically be possible to program multiple games in the flash until it is filled?

I.e. 10x70megs games or 1x700?Or 1x300+4x100? ...sounds like a waste occupying the whole storage while using just 40megs and it could allow to "fill" the cart with your favorite games.

Just curious, I think it may be huge though.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Hello, I think I asked few times but not sure I got a clear answer... would it technically be possible to program multiple games in the flash until it is filled?

I.e. 10x70megs games or 1x700?Or 1x300+4x100? ...sounds like a waste occupying the whole storage while using just 40megs and it could allow to "fill" the cart with your favorite games.

Might increase the flash time having to load different roms, people already complain enough.

neodev

Neosd Tech

It's theoretically possible, as the fpgas could access the flashes with an offset, but it would make the ui confusi g and complicated, as depending on which combination of games, you could load a new one, or woumd need to overwrite one of more of the previous games. Furthermore, the rom space is not a single space, so you can't load 10 70mbit ones if there is only space for 4 S roms in the flashes.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Thanks for pointing about matrimelee, that's an old issue that seems to have resurfaced because of some changes in the way the fpga works now. Can you check if it doesn't happen if you have arcade mode on and the sd removed?

In arcade mode, with the microSD card removed, everything works fine. I was able to complete the game twice, and I left it running in attract mode for quite a while. It didn't freeze up.

Also, after experiencing problems with Shock Troopers 2, which disappeared after I cleared the backup RAM, I disabled the backup RAM function in NeoSD. It was suggested that it restores corrupted backup RAM, compounding the problem. After the problems with Shock Troopers 2 cleared up, I turned this function in NeoSD back on again. I played through all of the KoF games, some MotW and some others, and bam ... the Shock Troopers 2 problem is back again. Is it possible that running certain games creates backup RAM data that Shock Troopers 2 simply doesn't get along with? I can fix it by resetting the backup RAM again, but I wanted to keep my scores in certain games. Clearing the backup RAM seems like a brute force solution.

neodev

Neosd Tech
In arcade mode, with the microSD card removed, everything works fine. I was able to complete the game twice, and I left it running in attract mode for quite a while. It didn't freeze up.

Also, after experiencing problems with Shock Troopers 2, which disappeared after I cleared the backup RAM, I disabled the backup RAM function in NeoSD. It was suggested that it restores corrupted backup RAM, compounding the problem. After the problems with Shock Troopers 2 cleared up, I turned this function in NeoSD back on again. I played through all of the KoF games, some MotW and some others, and bam ... the Shock Troopers 2 problem is back again. Is it possible that running certain games creates backup RAM data that Shock Troopers 2 simply doesn't get along with? I can fix it by resetting the backup RAM again, but I wanted to keep my scores in certain games. Clearing the backup RAM seems like a brute force solution.

Did you switch regions? Maybe shock troopers 2 has different save data structure depending on the region. I'll check that.

Also before enabing the auto backup ram save option, delete the shock troopers 2 file from the bup folder in the sd, othewise the corrupted data will still be there.
There is another way to restore it. With backup ram autosave enabled, load shock troopers 2, clear the mvs backup ram and then load another game, that will make neosd to save the recently cleared and good data to the sd, thus overwritting any corrupted version present there.

Last edited:

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Did you switch regions? Maybe shock troopers 2 has different save data structure depending on the region. I'll check that.

No, I'm always on Arcade / Japan setting in Uni BIOS, which I never have changed.

Edit: Another possible issue encountered in Far East of Eden: Kabuki Klash. My MVS is set to free play, and Kabuki Klash is asking me to press the start button, but when I do, nothing happens. This is particularly weird, since Uni BIOS and NeoSD menu key combinations do work, so it's definitely not an issue with my controller.

Also, for some reason, MotW defaults to difficulty setting 1 instead of 4, but it does play fine and doesn't display the protection message.

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Post 44... is active again...

4 weeks time limit...

xROTx

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Same file, or updated?

Same file (Its all you really need....)... I do have the RBFF Korean Variant somewhere... I can upload that... but it will be a chat room only deal...

xROTx

toaks

n00b
Hey Rot could I talk to you about that password, and could you look my account and see why I can't PM anyone or look at attachments? Thanks.

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Hey Rot could I talk to you about that password, and could you look my account and see why I can't PM anyone or look at attachments? Thanks.

You have not gained full forum privileges because you have NOT posted anything in the 15 months since you joined..

Gaining forum privileges is based on time logged in and posts achieved...

xROTx

PS. I am in chat ONLY on UK GMT....

toaks

n00b
You have not gained full forum privileges because you have NOT posted anything in the 15 months since you joined..

Gaining forum privileges is based on time logged in and posts achieved...

xROTx

PS. I am in chat ONLY on UK GMT....

Ok, Thanks Rot. Good meeting you in chat. Hope to talk to you more in the future.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Post 44 has been updated with a RBFF1 Korean Variant... (4 week time limit as always before the file dissappears....)

It is a seperate download... with a different password...

xROTx

PS. It is a CHAT ONLY DEAL!!!! You PM Me... consider yourself fooked...

The Rook

n00b
Not sure if this is the proper place to ask this, I apologize if it isn't. But I am having trouble getting my NEOSD to boot to the menu. I have a SanDisk 32GB microSD card that is formatted to FAT32. I contains .neo files at the root of the card created with the provided tool from neosdstore.com. I put the microSD card in the NEOSD and then put the NEOSD into my CMVS (from Analogue Interactive) and turn it on. What I see is a screen that says "CROSS HATCH TEST". I am then able to cycle through various system tests. If I try holding down START on the Player 1 controller I get the same thing. I am unable to get to the NEOSD menu.

Can someone please shed some light on this situation. I'm stumped.

20170527_211222.jpg

This same behavior occurs if I just startup my CMVS with no game in the slot. It's like the NEOSD cart is not being recognized by the CMVS.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Not sure if this is the proper place to ask this, I apologize if it isn't. But I am having trouble getting my NEOSD to boot to the menu. I have a SanDisk 32GB microSD card that is formatted to FAT32. I contains .neo files at the root of the card created with the provided tool from neosdstore.com. I put the microSD card in the NEOSD and then put the NEOSD into my CMVS (from Analogue Interactive) and turn it on. What I see is a screen that says "CROSS HATCH TEST". I am then able to cycle through various system tests. If I try holding down START on the Player 1 controller I get the same thing. I am unable to get to the NEOSD menu.

View attachment 44972

This same behavior occurs if I just startup my CMVS with no game in the slot. It's like the NEOSD cart is not being recognized by the CMVS.

neodev

Neosd Tech

View attachment 44972

Check that the neosd is plugged in the right direction. When plugging an original game, where is the arrow (triangle) of the cart? In the neosd the arrow side is the one opposite the sticker so you may have to try plugging it the other way.

The Rook

n00b
Check that the neosd is plugged in the right direction. When plugging an original game, where is the arrow (triangle) of the cart? In the neosd the arrow side is the one opposite the sticker so you may have to try plugging it the other way.

Unreal, that was the problem. Turned the cart around to have the label face back plugged it in, and there it was, NEOSD menu. Thanks.