Polymega system claims to now run neo geo cd games with faster load times

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I thought the 3D pad was (is) excellent with the Sega Ages series (Afterburner 2... Out Run etc), and the best controller for Sega Rally on the system. I'll admit I don't use it with anything else though... I don't remember whether it was compatible with Biohazard?

SEARCH. FUNCTION.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
If they are able to implement the latest retroarch with run-ahead, this thing could be very very nice. Let's be honest, they are more than likely stealing someone's emulator work - so might as well steal the latest and greatest, or better yet work out a deal with them

They *might* not be "stealing" work if they use an open source emulator as base and (depending on the license) contribute back their development. I don't think they are doing that, though.

This reminds me I've not seen xsq in some time around here...

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I thought the 3D pad was (is) excellent with the Sega Ages series (Afterburner 2... Out Run etc), and the best controller for Sega Rally on the system. I'll admit I don't use it with anything else though... I don't remember whether it was compatible with Biohazard?

That thing was goddamn amazing with Afterburner 2. I don't have Outrun, unfortunately.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Try hunting down Outrun, it has a 60fps mode which will blow your mind.

madman

Word, the Sega Ages Outrun is a must have. Hopefully it's not tard pricing these days.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
The Outrun and Afterburner ports in Shenmue were also perfect if memory serves me well. I spent probably hours unlocking the Sega Saturn games from the raffle in tomato mart to use with the Sega Saturn in Ryo’s living room instead of going to the arcade. Totally not worth it when I found out Ryo didn’t take them with him on his boat to Hong Kong in Shenmue 2. The dick.

A modded Xbox can play Mega CD, Playstation & Neo Geo CD games. And save you $250.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
There's also the DC version on the Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol. 1, but no 60fps, aka smooth-mode and no Ferrari license either. BUT... there's the only 60fps console version of Power Drift on it, too, which makes this release essential.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
There's also the DC version on the Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol. 1, but no 60fps, aka smooth-mode and no Ferrari license either. BUT... there's the only 60fps console version of Power Drift on it, too, which makes this release essential.

Never heard of that collection before today. Awesome, I'll be adding that to my GDEmu SD Card.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Never heard of that collection before today. Awesome, I'll be adding that to my GDEmu SD Card.

You're welcome! ...and BTW, the compilation is VGA compatible, too. If your panel provides the means, I highly recommend to try it that way.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Are the saturn ports of Outrun, Afterburner and Power Drift worth getting?

I got the Galaxy Force 2, which was a nice port but the game itself didn't age too well.. I guess getting that Yu Suzuki compilation would be better

edit: :spock: those ebay prices for that GameWork release tho..

Last edited:

Zenjay

n00b
So maybe they will make the new NGCD pads for the upcoming NG mini also work with this if they are USB?

madman

I can confirm Outrun and Power Drift on Saturn are amazing. Even in the world of all this new fangled 3D tech, Outrun still impresses.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, and Afterburner 2 on it is probably the best version of the game if you've got either the 3d pad or the mission stick to play on.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Preorders open next week for this. Anyone biting? I probably will out of morbid curiosity.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm going to pass on the Pre-Order and check reviews first.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
A little late, but just back on the Sega thing for a minute - the Shenmue and Gameworks ports of Outrun are not arcade perfect, the sprites are changed.

The most acurate port to date is the Sega Ages one on Saturn, and it is excellent :D

The ports of Afterburner and Power Drift are damn fine as well! :)

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Preorders open next week for this. Anyone biting? I probably will out of morbid curiosity.
Definitely no. It’s software emulation on an ARM SOC (it should be a Rockchip RK3288) using FPGA for electronically interfacing carts and joypads. If I want software emulation I prefer using a beefy PC and, if I want FPGA, I want the FPGA reimplementing (emulating/simulating/whatever) the main console hardware, i.e. Super NT or MiSTer FPGA.

Plastiq

n00b
Looks nicer than the retron 5 but I assume it will violate GPL and other licenses lmao.