The struggle to not cash in on Neo Geo AES consoles and games..

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
So i just checked. 2600 low print games are at a ~45% decline from their peak value over 10 years ago.
Standup arcades from that era are in the dirt as well.

There is more to squeeze from NES onward, but I would get out while it's still good if you are sitting on a stacks of plastic.

Am hearing 2021 is a good candidate for the next GFC.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
I really should get one of those, I probably have around 40 LP's almost exclusively late 70's / 80's and it would be a pity to leave them as they are.

Do it, man.

I don't really care for much, but vinyl and (comic) books, those I really take care of, since there are some which even belonged to my grandpa.

Besides, we now have some vinyl which are worth an absurd amount of money due to maybe a stupid sticker or label which made them "unique" or different from mass pressing. Regardless, it's good use to keep them in good shape.

As for storing, I recall there was an IKEA cheap thing to store them vertically, can't remember the name right now.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
LD's are heavy, but I still have a quite few. Pure novelty, but it's the way I prefer to watch the old Star Trek movies and old Anime.

I have some warped Vinyl as well. Never seen that flatten device before.

Missile

Another Striker
So i just checked. 2600 low print games are at a ~45% decline from their peak value over 10 years ago.
Standup arcades from that era are in the dirt as well.

There is more to squeeze from NES onward, but I would get out while it's still good if you are sitting on a stacks of plastic.

I think the Neo Geo will be a special case because of the low print-runs and it's prestige. Also no one who paid for example $3000+ for Metal Slug AES is going to sell it for much less. I haven't noticed prices going down yet. Consoles like the Dreamcast - I think will find prices going down fast soon.

I think the Neo Geo will be a special case because of the low print-runs and it's prestige. Also no one who paid for example $3000+ for Metal Slug AES is going to sell it for much less. I haven't noticed prices going down yet. Consoles like the Dreamcast - I think will find prices going down fast soon.

Neo-Geo and Playstation Vita too. The prices for Vita has skyrocked in the past few years because of the low print-runs. Prives goes up and low depending on the demand, but I guess every game/console has a demand man.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
I really should get one of those, I probably have around 40 LP's almost exclusively late 70's / 80's and it would be a pity to leave them as they are.

It's worth it. I got it along with the 'Groovy Pouch', which is essentially a heated pouch that you place the flattener in and it heats it to the correct (low) temperature. Alternatively, you can use the flattener in an oven, but many ovens don't offer temperatures low enough, and those that do are rarely accurate at such low temperatures. Basically, you don't want it too hot. I was hesitent due to the cost, but it has more than paid for itself.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member

How are you defining "low print" and where did you get this data? I agree that the peak was probably 12 or so years ago, but the massive decline only seems to be in common popular stuff like Pitfall.

That 45% number doesn't match my experience. If rare 2600 game prices were really half of what they were 10 years ago, I would be buying up more of them.

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
I'll probably keep all the games in my collection but I could easily see myself selling off some of the strategy guides I've accumulated over the years.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
There was an LD player with expansion ports which enabled you to play Mega Drive and PC Engine games IIRC... rare as hell, I'm pretty sure it costs like a new car today.

It's called the Pioneer Laseractive. You could purchase the Sega and Pce module's. I use to own like three of them when I was collectarding. They were dirt cheap back in the days. It's a piece of shit. Not a great LD player, the laser is shit, the modules need to be recapped for the most part, only does composite, no rgb, the modules are also very expensive. You could buy a Sega CDX, PC Engine Duo-R, and good LD player, and still save a few hundred bucks left over.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
It's called the Pioneer Laseractive. You could purchase the Sega and Pce module's. I use to own like three of them when I was collectarding. They were dirt cheap back in the days. It's a piece of shit. Not a great LD player, the laser is shit, the modules need to be recapped for the most part, only does composite, no rgb, the modules are also very expensive. You could buy a Sega CDX, PC Engine Duo-R, and good LD player, and still save a few hundred bucks left over.

Good advice. Steer clear of the LA and LD players in general unless they've been reconditioned or you "know a guy".

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior

Yep, that was it.
Never been interested in one honestly, but always thought about it as a cool gimmick, like the small TVs which had NES or other consoles built-in. I think those were released only in Japan.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yep, that was it.
Never been interested in one honestly, but always thought about it as a cool gimmick, like the small TVs which had NES or other consoles built-in. I think those were released only in Japan.

Yes, it was a cool gimmick, I agree. The idea of being able to play PCE/MD games along with LD's is great but too many moving parts. It's mainly just for collectors now. People who just want to say they own one and post pictures on facebook.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I've had two AES consoles and a large stack of games over the years, gradually it went from games in boxes with manuals to just keeping loose carts I found in that time. I eventually let it all go. Why? I sat and played it all, I realized the magic was gone. That feeling you get of something fresh and new, it always fades. What remains is whether you truly enjoy the games, because beyond that, it's all just plastic shapes.

It may not be everyone's approach, but I've come to realize what that feeling of "this ship has sailed" is really like. You'll know it if you don't willfully ignore it. Take an objective look at your stuff. Do you love the games enough to keep delicate, fragile, aging hardware around? Is your passion still there? Or are you just holding onto faint memories of better times?

I've hung onto my MVS carts and one CMVS system for myself with a couple AES sticks. Sometimes I wonder if I should let those all go too.

I've since changed my mind on this after scoring a NeoSD. I think a big part of what was wrong with me before is only ever having access to the same small assortment of games due to the high prices. With a NeoSD, now I can play nearly everything on the Neo Geo. So, I have an AES once again, I always did prefer it over MVS boards. While I was at it, I got a few original games in boxes just to enjoy them. Contrary to the above, I have always liked the soft cases and snaplock cases.

One thing I have definitely learned in the past 10 years with the Neo Geo is this, it's very difficult to ever truly leave. Even if you own zero Neo stuff, you'll never forget any of it.

Last edited:

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
I've since changed my mind on this after scoring a NeoSD. I think a big part of what was wrong with me before is only ever having access to the same small assortment of games due to the high prices. With a NeoSD, now I can play nearly everything on the Neo Geo. So, I have an AES once again, I always did prefer it over MVS boards. While I was at it, I got a few original games in boxes just to enjoy them. Contrary to the above, I have always liked the soft cases and snaplock cases.

One thing I have definitely learned in the past 10 years with the Neo Geo is this, it's very difficult to ever truly leave. Even if you own zero Neo stuff, you'll never forget any of it.

Recently sold off my Genesis collection due to a similar feeling that you described. Switched over to neo geo and cannot ever see myself selling it. Hopefully that sentiment never changes. Not like a I have a ton of games though. Im glad to see everyone caring about the system like this. Why I enjoy this forum very much.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member

I impulse bought one two years ago and while I agree that it's not a great LD player, having something I sunk dumb money into that NEEDED care to become anything resembling "yeah I want to game on this" renewed my interest in learning electronics and repair as a hobby. I hunted down some NOS optics from Pioneer and now I have a new laser that runs CD-R games well (very reliably with Taiyo Yudens I burned ages ago, but a bit spotty with your usual 2020 cdr) and some spares, and an NEC PAC that I bought for cheap that works well but needs recapping, something that I'm going to do myself once proper Nichicons arrive in the mail. I'm even planning to RGB mod it later when I have time (yes you can pull RGB signals out of it, just not when an actual LD is involved). It went to an eyesore that made me mad for ever dumping money into it into a cool machine to play PCE and sometimes Sega CD (a platform that I couldn't care less about after completing Snatcher).

And what I came here to say is that I really think it's silly to collect software for any console that has good flashcarts/odes, but owning the consoles themselves are really cool, of course given that you actually own devices that make clear HDMI image practical and that you konw how to troubleshoot and repair them if needed. Otherwise I think owning old hardware for playing videogame is really nonsensical... if your passion is on the games themselves, you'll find a way outside of wasting silly money on old plastic.

...I would definitely not own three of them though :lolz:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The only stuff I have is a PS4 and a PC other than the Neo Geo. I feel like I could sell the Neo games but nah not hurting anyone packed away.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member

Curious what makes you think DC titles will come down? Prices seem to clim every year. You thinking prices have already critical mass ?

Last edited: