Shock troopers versions?

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
So, I saw big bear's post about mentioning he's selling the version with chars all have separate life bars in group mode I assume.

Is there a version that exists where they all share the same lifebar? Which region is it if so? Thanks.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Version 1 (Version A)is the shared life bar by all hero group members.I've gathered that all copies with the serial # below 007 is version 1 (Version A) .Any copy 007 and above is version 2 (Version B),the seperate life bar version.
Version 1 comes out of Europe.
BB

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The shared life bar version is included on the PS2 SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1 (it's a crappy port though, with lots of slowdown). I think the MVS cart for the shared life bar version is rarer than the separate life bar version. Sometimes they are known as "Version A" and "Version B".

Last edited:

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
I think the MVS cart for the shared life bar version is rarer than the separate life bar version..
I think so too, if the version only is on the first 7k Euro carts it must be rarer.

You can read more about these versions in this thread: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...eoGeo-games&highlight=shock troopers versions

How can you tell if the cart is Euro? Is the holo labels the Euro versions? I know it's a noob question but I just started buying MVS carts and ST is on it's way!

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Version B gave each hero individuality where you would care about keeping him or her team member alive.Version A just allowed one character to borrow weapons and skill from other members like Sengoku.No real consequences if your team member dies in version A.
I've owned several copies of the single life bar(VERSION A) in the past but prefer version B
BB

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I think so too, if the version only is on the first 7k Euro carts it must be rarer.

You can read more about these versions in this thread: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...eoGeo-games&highlight=shock troopers versions

How can you tell if the cart is Euro? Is the holo labels the Euro versions? I know it's a noob question but I just started buying MVS carts and ST is on it's way!

English holo label -- not sure if there is a difference in appearance between US/EU though.

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
English holo label -- not sure if there is a difference in appearance between US/EU though.

Thanks. I thought that as well. I guess if you want the first version you have to buy a low serial number english cart and hope for the best :)

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The one life bar can take on / sustain more damage than the individual life bars
version. You can actually be more careless in the one life bar version,version A
BB
Can a team member die in version A? I thought they all shared the same life bar? :confused:

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Strange, never knew this.

Serial # 002964 here.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
So is there a way to play either version by changing the dip settings?
Whichever is the case, good to know I have more games to hunt down

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The one life bar can take on / sustain more damage than the individual life bars
version. You can actually be more careless in the one life bar version,version A
BB

Alternatively for the individual life bar version, you can put anyone too injured in reserve until you find a recovery item, then make the switch and refill all health. Knife killing a boss is pretty much a guaranteed recovery item drop.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Knife killing a boss is pretty much a guaranteed recovery item drop.
so what are you saying, this isn't true of the shared life bar version?
Isn't the version with 3 life bars the standard for 1cc's? That would make it the standard version that people should get.

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I'm not disputing this and yes,I know about the bonuses..I knife soldiers for life bar power ups all the time.
In the one life bar version though,the player can be more careless due to the fact that the one large life bar can sustain more damage than the three individual one combined.
BB
Alternatively for the individual life bar version, you can put anyone too injured in reserve until you find a recovery item, then make the switch and refill all health. Knife killing a boss is pretty much a guaranteed recovery item drop.

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
The 7k theory for version A seems to be correct. I got my cart today with s/n 6500 (it said 13k on eBay auction though) and it's version A.

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
My shock troopers is in the early 1k, and it's indeed an A version. On the other hand, my Korean one (red cart) is the B version. I suspect that all Korean must be the B version as they likely were manufactured after the initial US/JP batch. For those wondering, there doesn't seem to be anything different in that Korean version (no extra censoring as far as I could see).

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
The 7k theory for version A seems to be correct. I got my cart today with s/n 6500 (it said 13k on eBay auction though) and it's version A.

You should open a dispute because the serial is too low! That would be a first XD

Nah but if I already had version A and was expecting to get B, but got another A, that would definitely be frustrating.

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
You should open a dispute because the serial is too low! That would be a first XD

Nah but if I already had version A and was expecting to get B, but got another A, that would definitely be frustrating.

true that :lolz: no, it's the only Shock Troopers I have and it's been 10 years since I played it last time in the arcades so I don't really have any preference. Everyone seems to prefer version B, might get it later to compare.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Heya folks, I haven't been very active on this forum lately but I just saw this thread so obviously I have to chime in :P

First off...

Version 1 (Version A)is the shared life bar by all hero group members.I've gathered that all copies with the serial # below 007 is version 1 (Version A) .Any copy 007 and above is version 2 (Version B),the seperate life bar version.
Version 1 comes out of Europe.
BB

Hmmm, well I'm glad to hear somebody finally did some research in regards to serial numbers. If it's true that all carts under the general range of 007xxx are Version A, then I'm glad this is in line with my original theory that this version was the "earlier" revision.

As to the cartridges being of European origin too, that's what I've always assumed too since the cartridge that was originally dumped and put on the internet in 1998 came from a couple guys in Sweden called ROMLIST. I distinctly remember reading another thread in which a member from here saw a Version A of the game on a trip to Italy. All the times I have come across the game "in the wild" at US arcades, it has always been Version B. Always.

Although I'd still like to know if Version A was ever prevalent in Japanese arcades. You'd think it would have? But from all accounts I have heard/seen of when the game was at Japanese game centers, it's always seemed to be Version B as well.

What I find interesting is that when the game was previewed in Neo-Geo Freak magazine, the screenshots are of Version A. Note the inactive grayed-out character portraits at the top, since those only appear in Version A.

http://bbh.marpirc.net/shock/ngf1.jpg
http://bbh.marpirc.net/shock/ngf2.jpg

And then there's this promotional flyer for the game...

http://bbh.marpirc.net/shock/flyer2.jpg

where the "Mountain route" and "Jungle route" are screenshots of Version B, but the "Valley route" screenshot is Version A. What?

Aaanyway, here's another copy-pasted summary of the differences between Version A and Version B if anyone is still unclear:

Version A
-The player's lifebar consists of 128 "points". (whenever you pickup a life-restoring item, the number of points that it adds is shown. The first-aid kits are worth +64 points)
-When a new credit is started, the lifebar does not start fully filled up at 128 points. In Lonly Wolf the lifebar starts at 112 points, and in Team Battle it starts at only 88 points.
-At the start of each level, it will show you each character's "rating" for the level. They will be given anywhere from 0-3 stars for the level. The higher the star amount, the faster that character will be able to move ON THAT STAGE ONLY. In addition to this, if a character is rated 2 stars a +8 life bonus will be added, and if they are rated 3 stars they will get a +16.
-You are given only one life. If you are playing in Team Battle, all three characters share that lifebar, so once it runs out it's game over.

Version B
-The player's lifebar consists of 64 points, which means you can only take half as much damage before dying.
-Lifebar starts at 100% in both Lonly Wolf and Team Battle modes.
-There is no display of the star rating inbetween stages, and no life-ups are given for characters that are rated 2 or 3 stars on the stage. However, THE STAR RATINGS ARE STILL THERE EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE NOT DISPLAYED TO THE PLAYER, so characters will still move at different speeds depending on the level.
-By default the game is setup to give you 3 lives in Lonly Wolf, and a 3-character team in Team Battle. This setting is changeable in the soft dips under "HERO" to be a number from 1-8 (Yes, this means that if you change it to 8 and select Team Battle, you will all have 8 characters on your team). The "HERO" setting is absent entirely on Version A.
-Also worth noting that in Team Battle if the game is finished after 1 or 2 of the characters die, those characters will not be present in the ending. In Version A all 3 characters will always be there (since they all share one lifebar, naturally).

Finally, to answer the other question, NO you can't change the game from Version A to Version B through dipswitches. It is an actual hardcoded change in the program roms themselves.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Just to add to the euro theory, my version A came from Portugal and has a serial under 7k.