The Neo Geo mini is coming...

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
I wish they had done a Neo Geo Pocket Ultra or something. Put these classic Neo Geo games on a Neo Geo Pocket style handheld. Much more comfortable to hold, and frankly the nostalgia factor would help it even more than this weird baby arcade cabinet thing. Just my opinion anyway.

NGXG_ss4.jpg

Turns out it wasn't such a good idea afterall.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
View attachment 50675

Turns out it wasn't such a good idea afterall.

That's because the screen resolution was too low, the aspect ratio was wrong, the emulation sucked, the unit came with a stupid dock and arcade sticks, and the games were overpriced.

But if they had actually put out just the handheld unit with a quality screen, decent emulation, and a decent price it would have been fantastic.

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
That's because the screen resolution was too low, the aspect ratio was wrong, the emulation sucked, the unit came with a stupid dock and arcade sticks, and the games were overpriced.

But if they had actually put out just the handheld unit with a quality screen, decent emulation, and a decent price it would have been fantastic.
+1
Good idea, bad implementation.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire

My thoughts exactly.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
This thing looks dumb. Makes me want to build a Pi-based MVS bartop or something, but why would I do that when I have an arcade cab?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Twenty-eight pages about a product that will end up being total shit.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Question. Are there even any actually good 320x224 pixel screens being manufactured with which one could make a Pi based handheld with native Neo Geo resolution?

jdoll

Kuroko's Training Dummy
This thing looks dumb. Makes me want to build a Pi-based MVS bartop or something, but why would I do that when I have an arcade cab?

sadly i have yet to talk the wife into a cab even after buying a house... but a buddy and i are working on rasp pi tabletops cause i likely can't afford this little guy.

as for a ngpc rerelease put a decent screen a nice clicky stick like the og and some good emulation and there ya go shouldnt be that hard really

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
as for a ngpc rerelease put a decent screen a nice clicky stick like the og and some good emulation and there ya go shouldnt be that hard really
So when will you have your first prototype ready?

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Prolly cause its a shared living space. Consensus avoids resentment.

Consensus =/= "Permission". They don't have a consensus now either, because clearly he wants one but she's saying 'no'.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Consensus =/= "Permission". They don't have a consensus now either, because clearly he wants one but she's saying 'no'.

I read "I have yet to talk the wife into..." as "I haven't asked her yet."

Guess she already cracked the whip. My mistake.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
I read "I have yet to talk the wife into..." as "I haven't asked her yet."

Guess she already cracked the whip. My mistake.

I took it as her cock-blocking the cab, but who knows. He can't even afford a Neo-Geo Mini, so he's not getting a cab anyway.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I took it as her cock-blocking the cab, but who knows. He can't even afford a Neo-Geo Mini, so he's not getting a cab anyway.

You saw that $100 cab listing I ended up grabbing. It could happen again.

Hell, I'd buy another project cab for that price.

I only put about another $150 into it.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member

How could the screen resolution be too low? The original Neo Geo was low res, so it must be higher than that. I don't know why changed the aspect ratio, I suppose they had a 16:9 screen, and then they thought the image should take up the whole screen. But they could have at least given the option to change to 4:3.
I kind of liked the dock for the Neo Geo X, the way it was a replica of the original AES console.
The ideal screen for the Neo Geo X would have been one with RGB connection, arcade scanlines, and being OLED as well. But I don't know how likely that would be. I don't know which type of internal video connection the Neo Geo X and Neo Geo Mini have- whether it's RGB, or something else.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
How could the screen resolution be too low? The original Neo Geo was low res, so it must be higher than that. I don't know why changed the aspect ratio, I suppose they had a 16:9 screen (as for economic reasons it had to be, no company is making 4:3 screens any more), and then they thought the image should take up the whole screen. But they could have at least given the option to change to 4:3.
I kind of liked the dock for the Neo Geo X, the way it was a replica of the original AES console.
The ideal screen for the Neo Geo X would have been one with RGB connection, arcade scanlines, and being OLED as well. But I don't know how likely that would be. I don't know which type of internal video connection the Neo Geo X and Neo Geo Mini have- whether it's RGB, or something else.

The X resolution is higher than the standard Neo resolution but it's not a big enough difference to scale evenly, so even in the correct aspect ratio you're not getting 1:1 pixel mapping. You can switch between 16:9 and 4:3 with the shoulder buttons but there is no option for 1:1 pixel mapping.

They could easily have just used a 16:9 screen but covered the unused parts with the bezel and had the unit boot to 4:3. But if they did that they'd need to select a high enough res for it to scale evenly in both the vertical and horizontal resolutions, so the games would fill the whole screen with no distortion or cropping.

EDIT:
now that I think about it, they could have fixed the whole issue handheld-side with a bezel.

Just bezel-off everything except a 320x224 field and have the entire system run in that. Problem solved.

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
That's sort of what Nintendo did with the 2ds. One big screen with a bezel dividing it to two areas.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Does the Neo Geo Mini fall over sometimes when you play it, I mean, is it stable? Would it need to be glued down to a benchtop?
I think the joystick would be better than having a D-pad, but still not as good as a full-sized joystick.

Last edited:

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Does the Neo Geo Mini fall over sometimes when you play it, I mean, is it stable? Would it need to be glued down to a benchtop?
You have to glue it to the benchtop and cut with a dremel the 16:9 LCD panel in order to fit the 4:3 bezel. :keke:
Sorry dude, I didn’t mean to be aggressive, just having some fun.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
You have to glue it to the benchtop and cut with a dremel the 16:9 LCD panel in order to fit the 4:3 bezel. :keke:
Sorry dude, I didn’t mean to be aggressive, just having some fun.

You only just joined, you're apologizing to the village idiot.