MVS & AES NEOSD flash card... AES Version ANNOUNCED & AVAILABLE!!

neosd

Neosd Developer
Lets explain it, so everyone understands the issue and our answer :

User gets a neosd, he says is dead, it dosent works (we know every shipped neosd works cause we took the time to flash kof2003 on EVERY neosd).

So customer starts telling on twitter that its dead on arrival. User could just have emailed us, but he decided to tell that on twitter, where we dont even have account, until yesterday that some friend told us about this twitter guy ...

Then some trolls come there to fuck arround ( i am not going to name those).

Some hours after user says : its not dead, it works in one of my cabs and not on ther other, thing is that he is using the SAME MVS on both cabs.

So i ask you guys, what could be doing NEOSD works with the same MVS in one cab and not in another ? I would say the only difference is the PSU, so we told him this may be the cause.

Some of you think NEOSD was an easy to develop product, others think they can deliver a neo geo flash cart and cant even boot a single game. Lets face it, we are working with more than 8 different boards, some do have different revisions. Those boards are more than 20 years old and everyone is powering those boards in a different way.

So i would say we have a pretty solid product. Right now issues are under 1% of what we have shipped, and we are taking every issue seriously, we dont tell someone to try another psu or that his psu is fucked to not give him support.

If you have an issue : email us, dont post it on facebook if you want support, cause we dont have a facebook account (just to name one for example) ... You can post whathever you want there but we may not know you have an issue cause you havent emailed us ...

Telling people : yes i am going to buy it, dosent makes your argument stronger.

As an user i would be really pleased to be able to buy a neo geo flash cart, even if i wont buy it for different reasons.
After so many years some serious team put the needed resources to deliver something we all wanted, and no one was able to deliver.

Instead, what we have arround is a pile of trolls trying to find a single issue to put shit on our product/work. I cant really understand that kind of hate, honestly

Thanks

If you read on, you'd see that I was assisting him. Let's face it though, telling people to use another PSU was glib. I'm glad that the issues were able to be moved past (Firmware update + another undisclosed solution). nothing is worse than dropping some coin on something that's been hyped up and not having it work out of the box.

And BTW, is this really a "Community" product? Community supported, maybe, but not a community product. It would have been released with or without support from you or Razoola.

and FWIW, I plan on getting one of these. Just need to gather up enough scratch. Life is not liking the lemon at the moment.

Last edited:

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
GOT MINE TODAY!!!!

The Pulstar thing still sucks though, but it's not NeoSD's fault, I just think it hates something in my setup.

Can someone with a Daedalus setup test Pulstar and see if it goes black at certain points during cut-scenes? Like when the chic first gets out of the ship and is running?

I can confirm the Pulsar thing is a TV glitch/issue. I have an AES with Uni 3.1 and MagicKey and MVS 161-in-1 and Pulstar does the same thing you state. It does it on composite and SVideo (I modded my AES) .... in the end I resorted to RGB cable + XRGB mini and problem solved.
I tried it on another TV without issues (i just can't use that one set as it is in a different room). So I know it is the TV not liking the generated signal during transitions (but sometimes other places too).

NOTE: why is it that chrome/google flags Neo-geo.com as a "bad site"? .... it's painful, it started maybe 10 days ago, up until then I could search for neo-geo.com and neosd to land in this thread now I have to go via the link on the neosd page (as I am lazy) and the red chrome alert page.

Last edited:

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
@neosd

I know the AES version is not out yet and I'm a little bummed that the MVS version does not work with the MagicKey converter (as I already have it it would have saved me 10% of the cost as the MVS version is cheaper) but it's fine with the Daedalus instead.

Anyway any chance you consider making an AES version that instead of flash uses PSRAM? I am one of the few that likes to switch games very often so the flash solution is not ideal for me.
At 1Gbits it's 128MBytes total (twice the size of the Everdrive64) and if memory serves I've seen PSRAM chips of 8MBytes (it would require 16 of them, but I have not checked cost or availability, just throwing it out there).
I ask only in case you are considering it as an option so I'll wait for it. If not I'll understand and consider what I want to do comes January when I have more disposable cash.

Thanks for the exceptional work.

Finally given your last firmware improvements can you publish the latest faster loading times? 30% it's definitely a noticeable jump.

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello,

Our decision to use FLASH instead of SRAM was a deeply meditated decision.
We have no plans for SRAM solution for a lot of resons, sorry i wont give hints to others, i hope you understand that.

Loading times are much more faster now, and we think we can improve those. But right now its not a priority, we have one remaining issue with 4 slots board and this is priority over anything else.

About loading times : With reatil neosd firmware (the one all neosds were shipped with), flashing kof2003 takes 4:10 with a 7 euros sony microsd on my setup. Same setup and new firmware puts flashing the same game in 2:45

Thanks

EDIT : Just clarify, we dont have plans for another Neo Geo flashcart.

@neosd

I know the AES version is not out yet and I'm a little bummed that the MVS version does not work with the MagicKey converter (as I already have it it would have saved me 10% of the cost as the MVS version is cheaper) but it's fine with the Daedalus instead.

Anyway any chance you consider making an AES version that instead of flash uses PSRAM? I am one of the few that likes to switch games very often so the flash solution is not ideal for me.
At 1Gbits it's 128MBytes total (twice the size of the Everdrive64) and if memory serves I've seen PSRAM chips of 8MBytes (it would require 16 of them, but I have not checked cost or availability, just thwoing it out there).
I ask only in case you are considering it as an option so I'll wait for it. If not I'll understand and consider what I want to do comes January when I have more disposable cash.

Thanks for the exceptional work.

Finally given your last firmware improvements can you publish the newly improved loading times?

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
NOTE: why is it that chrome/google flags Neo-geo.com as a "bad site"? .... it's painful, it started maybe 10 days ago, up until then I could search for neo-geo.com and neosd to land in this thread now I have to go via the link on the neosd page (as I am lazy) and the red chrome alert page.
This place is bigger than just this thread, you know. Bookmark/remember "neo-geo.com/forums". As to your question, the mods know about it, it is being worked on. Check here for further info: 1, 2.

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hello,

Our decision to use FLASH instead of SRAM was a deeply meditated decision.
We have no plans for SRAM solution for a lot of resons, sorry i wont give hints to others, i hope you understand that.

Loading times are much more faster now, and we think we can improve those. But right now its not a priority, we have one remaining issue with 4 slots board and this is priority over anything else.

About loading times : With reatil neosd firmware (the one all neosds were shipped with), flashing kof2003 takes 4:10 with a 7 euros sony microsd on my setup. Same setup and new firmware puts flashing the same game in 2:45

Thanks

EDIT : Just clarify, we dont have plans for another Neo Geo flashcart.

Thanks for the answer, any hope that maybe the MagicKey converter may be made to work via neosd fw update? Maybe the BRAM off thing that Raz was hinting at? Just saying, feel free to ignore as I may end up just getting the AES version in the end [at one point I was considering a consolized MVS and it would be cool to only use on flash cart ... but it is not your problem].

Thanks for the loading time data, how about the shorter games, they were around 1 min before.
[you can take your time and publish the result when you feel like it, no need to rush any answer]

Last edited:

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
This place is bigger than just this thread, you know. Bookmark/remember "neo-geo.com/forums". As to your question, the mods know about it, it is being worked on. Check here for further info: 1, 2.

Thanks for the links, my bad .. I'm a lazy ass, sorry about that, please accept my apologies.

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello,

I cant tell you if we will take the time to look at those converters, thing is that some are working and others are not.
Think that some may work with original games but may not be using all lines to the cart port for example ...

We are spending all our time supporting our product, we would like to add more features instead, but we cant while we have open issues.
We just need to fix every single issue to move fordward and add more features to neosd that we already have planed.

All this goes before looking into why those converters are not working with NEOSD, i hope you understand our point ...

Thanks

Thanks for the answer, any hope that maybe the MagicKey converter may be made to work via neosd fw update? Maybe the BRAM off thing that Raz was hinting at? Just saying, feel free to ignore as I may end up just getting the AES version in the end [at one point I was considering a consolized MVS and it would be cool to only use on flash cart ... but it is not your problem].

Thanks for the loading time data, how about the shorter games, they were around 1 min before.
[you can take your time and publish the result when you feel like it, no need to rush any answer]

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
Lets explain it, so everyone understands the issue and our answer :

User gets a neosd, he says is dead, it dosent works (we know every shipped neosd works cause we took the time to flash kof2003 on EVERY neosd).

So customer starts telling on twitter that its dead on arrival. User could just have emailed us, but he decided to tell that on twitter, where we dont even have account, until yesterday that some friend told us about this twitter guy ...

Then some trolls come there to fuck arround ( i am not going to name those).

Some hours after user says : its not dead, it works in one of my cabs and not on ther other, thing is that he is using the SAME MVS on both cabs.

So i ask you guys, what could be doing NEOSD works with the same MVS in one cab and not in another ? I would say the only difference is the PSU, so we told him this may be the cause.

Some of you think NEOSD was an easy to develop product, others think they can deliver a neo geo flash cart and cant even boot a single game. Lets face it, we are working with more than 8 different boards, some do have different revisions. Those boards are more than 20 years old and everyone is powering those boards in a different way.

So i would say we have a pretty solid product. Right now issues are under 1% of what we have shipped, and we are taking every issue seriously, we dont tell someone to try another psu or that his psu is fucked to not give him support.

If you have an issue : email us, dont post it on facebook if you want support, cause we dont have a facebook account (just to name one for example) ... You can post whathever you want there but we may not know you have an issue cause you havent emailed us ...

As an user i would be really pleased to be able to buy a neo geo flash cart, even if i wont buy it for different reasons.
After so many years some serious team put the needed resources to deliver something we all wanted, and no one was able to deliver.

Instead, what we have arround is a pile of trolls trying to find a single issue to put shit on our product/work. I cant really understand that kind of hate, honestly

Thanks

this guy?

disguy.PNG

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
No matter what you do, someone will try to shit on it. I wouldn't let it get to you, guys. Although I know you obviously don't want people giving you a bad name, especially somewhere you don't even have a chance to defend yourself.

Like you say, it's only 1% that have issues. Most of us, including myself, are absolutely loving the product and the service and responses to questions you have provided.

tcdev

NEST Puppet
No matter what you do, someone will try to shit on it. I wouldn't let it get to you, guys. Although I know you obviously don't want people giving you a bad name, especially somewhere you don't even have a chance to defend yourself.
Like you say, it's only 1% that have issues. Most of us, including myself, are absolutely loving the product and the service and responses to questions you have provided.
I'd like to echo that sentiment. It's absolutely impossible to please all of the people, all of the time - even if the NeoSD printed actual bank notes there'd be someone putting it down. I think you'll find that in the long run, the quality of your product and your support will effectively silence the nay-sayers and anyone doing serious research before purchasing the NeoSD will very quickly come to the conclusion that it's simply an A-1 product. I've been around long enough to know that I've read enough just here in this thread alone to be supremely confident in purchasing one (and FTR I have indeed done just that). I'll bet you can't find a single product on the net that doesn't have at least one reviewer that thinks it's absolute rubbish.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
There's a ton of configs out there, I agree. it's impossible to troubleshoot them all, which is why things should only get better once it hits the public because you can take their experiences and fortify stuff. :D

Yes, some people will hit social media first and that stinks. the only thing the neoSD team can control is their response to it and their effort to correct the issues. The firmware update saved the day in this case. :)

neosd

Neosd Developer
There's a ton of configs out there, I agree. it's impossible to troubleshoot them all, which is why things should only get better once it hits the public because you can take their experiences and fortify stuff. :D

Yes, some people will hit social media first and that stinks. the only thing the neoSD team can control is their response to it and their effort to correct the issues. The firmware update saved the day in this case. :)

I agree on that, but we cant give support over twitter, neither we can go to your home to fix it, as much you may desire it.

We dont have any problem with people expressing theyrselves, we are going to support users with good and bad coments on forums, social media or on the street, no problem about that at all. Everyone is going to get the same treatment.

Thanks

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Preservation is not yet totally complete but there is enough to understand one of the main changes in the Korean version graphically. This is the Korean flag on the back of Kim Kaphwan has been corrected when using his alt uniform (red and blue in flag wrong way around in regular version).

So not only is the flag fixed in this Korean version but his alt color is yellow instead of grey.

20161216_113900.jpg

20161216_113911.jpg

20161216_113920.jpg

Last edited:

dkarDaGobert

Kuroko's Training Dummy
if anyone in europe finds an undumped one and needs help with desoldering or dumping the roms i can offer my help.

these are the tools i work with:

WP_20161216_12_07_36_Pro.jpgWP_20161216_12_07_05_Pro.jpg
WP_20161216_12_07_00_Pro.jpg

as you can see i have everything needed IR-Heater, soldering irons, hot air stations.. and programming tools.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Holy crap! I wish you lived next door to me, I've got a whole host of shit that needs fixing right meow.

aku

Loyal Neo-Disciple

Thanks

should be quoted on every page

&

yodd, todd, whatever - i am so happy when you get your cart, because i cant read any more of your "meh" posts. hopefully quan approves my opinion.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Preservation is not yet totally complete but there is enough to understand one of the main changes in the Korean version graphically. This is the Korean flag on the back of Kim Kaphwan has been corrected when using his alt uniform (red and blue in flag wrong way around in regular version).

So not only is the flag fixed in this Korean version but his alt color is yellow instead of grey.

Awesome! Thanks a lot for working on this!

neosd

Neosd Developer
May i ask what you work at ? Phone repairs ?
Those are not the usual cheap chinesse tools, i myself have one of those JBC solder stations are home :)
Pretty expensive lot you have there, i would say. Someone should send you samurai shodown 5 special to reump.

if anyone in europe finds an undumped one and needs help with desoldering or dumping the roms i can offer my help.

these are the tools i work with:

View attachment 41379View attachment 41377
View attachment 41380

as you can see i have everything needed IR-Heater, soldering irons, hot air stations.. and programming tools.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Brian need the credit, I just found the cart owner, Brian did the work.

whoelse.png