*UPDATED* NeoGeo proto screenshots

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I remember reading Falcoon said MOTW 2 was 70 percent complete before.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
What's with the screenshot for the "Magical Drop V Trailer 2012"? Looks like a graphically updated Ghostlop. Video is no longer available.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Damn, just found a video still on Youtube. Did I totally miss how Ghostlop was essentially released?

I must not be paying attention.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Damn, just found a video still on Youtube. Did I totally miss how Ghostlop was essentially released?

I must not be paying attention.

Essentially. The two characters were playable in Magical Drop V, and there was basically a Ghostlop mode.

Too bad the game was only mediocre. I wanted to like it up until I saw one of their developer's talking about Magical Drop and showed them playing it. It was pretty clear right there, by how they were playing the game, that it wasn't going to be anything like MD3. :(

There's an old post somewhere of me saying the same in 2012. It was cringe worthy watching them move things around on screen to build a chain of three. It's like... If you don't even know how to properly play MD, I have no idea how you're going to code it...

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Wasnt magical drop v released on steam? I use to play it on there with the developer.

I cant watch that video cause im at work. But that might be what became the steam version.

jhonny d

Kula's Candy
Metal Slug prototype screens, first one is from gamest, second one from neo geo freak

http://imgur.com/a/Q4W3Y

sorry if they're old

I'm quoting myself, I couples of day ago I was reading this http://www.retrogamer.net/retro_games90/the-making-of-metal-slug/ and then I read this line:

The most difficult point was significantly changing the configuration of the player. Originally, the combat vehicle was the only character you controlled. However, when we did location tests, we did not get a good response from customers playing. So, we changed the game so that the soldiers were the central characters you controlled

Apparently the screens I posted are from the first version where you control only the Metal Slug since Marco and Tarma are nowhere to be seen

Then yesterday this video pop up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0PgNJMP3G4
I've yet to watch it fully but they kinda confirm the whole thing and they add a lot more details about it!

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
I'm quoting myself, I couples of day ago I was reading this http://www.retrogamer.net/retro_games90/the-making-of-metal-slug/ and then I read this line:

Apparently the screens I posted are from the first version where you control only the Metal Slug since Marco and Tarma are nowhere to be seen

Then yesterday this video pop up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0PgNJMP3G4
I've yet to watch it fully but they kinda confirm the whole thing and they add a lot more details about it!

Cool stuff, never knew that! It's a good thing that they changed it and added the soldiers, the game would have been a lot less fun otherwise.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
That's interesting. It could have been more like In the Hunt, but on land with a tank.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
I certainly haven't seen any info about it before.

Nice find!

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Magic Master article from 97 AOU Show Gamest special, not sure if already known/posted

http://imgur.com/a/kwige

Bonus info: the front page featured Ghostlop, 2 unreleased games one next to other :)

Holy cow!
This is awesome to have been found.
A thousand thanks for posting.
Somebody translate this bad boy!
It's update time!

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
its a little bit less easy to use google translate on a picture (first convert picture to text, then google translate)

but I decided to give it a shot. Its mostly gobbledygeek but here it is anyways:

Liu River, vinegar
Video game exhibition work
Mahojuku / puzzle
Game makers students
In the 97 years AOU show, it is or will exhibit a new sense pa cheat "Mahojuku". This game is not a so-called "falling block" system, a complex operation that do not require a puzzle game, is also easy to simply enjoy the chain beginners. Please do playing at the show by all means.
Aim a magic master
To a certain place, Bee challenges schools to super berry Ultra, there was a "magic school". The school, also be difficult to graduation for admission, Oh yeah you are than a school other elite-oriented.
Here now, we are trying to challenge the entrance examination of the magic school in order to obtain the title of four young witch "Magic Master" (large Wizard of proof). In cooperation with the Blaine der Ru-kun, do you Ru be able to defeat the Jukucho?
Begins with a feeling What, this "magic school". It action puzzle game that will align the color replace the block.
It attacks with magic decided to re multistage chain!
Recommended for people who rang the arm in the "replace" system of the puzzle. It hard!
Responsible: P · Suzuki finger cramp
musement Machine perators nion
Attack to align the color of the block Daa
Screen is divided into two parts, it is divided into a field of their own field and the other party. The 4-color blocks in the field, can be erased if Soroere vertically into three or horizontal row.
Yourself have a first one of the block. By pressing a button to move the cursor, it is replaced by a block in the field. Swop, the migration and organize repeatedly, move. And go off in a continuous it is also possible to launch an attack on the other side. A certain number
Wins if defeat the opponent the attack on heavy a. ! ზე 1 - 1 ° ზაზა, 1% 15 წ ბ..
Country. *,
**** 11 [10ܣܛܘܢ
And the hand of Plock, a field block of swop,
Extinguish align the color. Chain start if not vanishing further within a certain period of time.
Can | also polish the arm of the chain in this prep mode.
त्वर्यः / @. Nəri پانویه? [5 न्म
Title's screen. Liven up unique character Tachigage over-time.
Also use physical strength if you use also intellect
Still-ish and not as talk the game do not know the chain, but is properly prepared even beginner mode. Shoulder if fern First in the "good MEI KWANG" mode. Once the rules have been found, you psyched to full-fledged "magic school" mode. Since the setting is the difficulty Me, will not get easily cleared is allowed to do so.
Character is to have animation is worth a look to take at the time of the chain, enjoy while taste the deep pleasure of the chain. Because each key voice of Yarakuta also been using the well-known voice actor Rurashii (my study shortage), ear Let's spoofing. While waiting for the capture of Mesto, First shalt to play.

Last edited:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I was actually looking for the Shinryu Senki gameplay video the other day and realized it's been taken off YouTube.

Hopefully someone saved it.

Hi,
Hope everyone's safe and 2021 has started well.
My full apologies for the necrobump, but posting progress on the Zintrick music project which I've finally had chance to look at again over the Xmas break (5 years after starting it!)
The video shows the game running under Mame using SamShodown 2 as the "donor" image. It's the MVS hack rom, with the M1 sounddriver extended to play resampled "CD tracks" as ADPCMA streams.
Mame's the only dev environment I've currently available, so I've no idea how (or if) this plays on real hardware. SamSho was used as the host instead of the original ZintrickB image, as it supports 7MB Vrom and means I could fit more of the resampled CD tracks in. That still leaves a couple of Meg short to support the full track list from Maldoror68's original post back in 2015. However, I'm still finding my way around Mame, so I'm unsure how I can extend the title profiles to host a larger Vrom. Happy to chat to anyone who might have done this before and can help there so we can get all the tracks into the game :)

Anyhow, hopefully this is still of some interest. There's still a fair bit to tune/tweak/fix and I'll post updates as and when I have them.
Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKfgAlDubN8

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Hi,
Hope everyone's safe and 2021 has started well.
My full apologies for the necrobump, but posting progress on the Zintrick music project which I've finally had chance to look at again over the Xmas break (5 years after starting it!)
The video shows the game running under Mame using SamShodown 2 as the "donor" image. It's the MVS hack rom, with the M1 sounddriver extended to play resampled "CD tracks" as ADPCMA streams.
Mame's the only dev environment I've currently available, so I've no idea how (or if) this plays on real hardware. SamSho was used as the host instead of the original ZintrickB image, as it supports 7MB Vrom and means I could fit more of the resampled CD tracks in. That still leaves a couple of Meg short to support the full track list from Maldoror68's original post back in 2015. However, I'm still finding my way around Mame, so I'm unsure how I can extend the title profiles to host a larger Vrom. Happy to chat to anyone who might have done this before and can help there so we can get all the tracks into the game :)

Anyhow, hopefully this is still of some interest. There's still a fair bit to tune/tweak/fix and I'll post updates as and when I have them.
Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKfgAlDubN8
Hey, thanks for the update! I've been wondering about your Zintrick project. Any chance we could get a chance to help test it on real systems soon?

My dream is a rom that has Razoola's recompiled music, with your ADPCM used to fill in the missing tracks. A sort of hybrid approach, if you will. I think that would be as good as it gets for a Zintrick cartridge, short of an actual complete prototype.

https://youtu.be/Wy2FDuQ7LaU

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks for the interest and feedback. 'Very much appreciated.
I concur with the dream :)
My understanding (if I've followed the thread correctly) is that the original FM tracks were left in the Zintrick Rom by ADK (But disabled and dormant until Razoola worked his magic, and also added the percussive samples)? If that's the case, then they should still be in the M1 image I've been using and it *might* be possible to create an image that actually supports both types of playback. Maybe with a bootloader allowing the player to chose between FM and PCM, and having that choice saved to Z80 accessible memory, before launching the game. The driver could then read that mem and switch between either FM or PCM playback accordingly. I'm getting a bit ahead of myself there for sure, but that would be a nice goal to aim for as it would bring two separate projects together.
(I'm actually getting fonder of hearing FM tracks as time goes on. They're very much of a certain age and incredibly nostalging to hear. It would have been awesome to hear someone like Tim Follin let lose on the hardware back in the day!)
I've a bit of cleanup to do on the code still (you may have noticed a drop in volume levels in some of the tracks, for example, which is a niggly bug I've yet to check into) but, yes, I would love to try this on hardware at some point soon. The approach I've taken to get this working is a little leftfield, so I'm sure there'll be some fun and games to go through still. It's currently a set of 3 replacement roms for Mame's samsho2 image (the prog,M1 and the vrom) which I run through Mame as samsho2, so I've no idea if that can be translated to a physical setup, nor how to do that if it can!
If there's anyone on the forum who can give a newb some technical guidance there, drop me a line. It'd be great to talk and learn :)

Thanks again for taking the time out to watch the vid

Cheers

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah, the vid got me really excited to play a more complete cartridge version. I'm glad you are working so hard on this. I agree, it's nice to hear the lost FM tracks that aren't the same as the CD. If you didn't have to include the ADPCM versions of the tracks with FM versions available, it would be nice to keep the rom smaller.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
In case it helps, the first revisions of the MVS Samurai Showdown 3 cartridges used a special MVS prog board appropriately labeled: “MVS-PROG-SS3”. This unique prog board uses 5 physical rom positions on the board, (P1-P5) and has only 3 positions for the V roms. (Rather then the usual 4 and 4)

Zintrick is a relatively small game. So doing actual hardware testing is relatively cheap and easy to do. In addition, we are now in the era of SD cartridges; so real hardware testing is not only much easier and faster they ever before, but now almost anyone can do it. (this made the recent “SS5-special/final” rom modding/testing/building much easier as well)