Brikin'ger/Iron Clad Coming To The Wii Virtual Console

Asure

Captain Dick,
I'm off to watch some 'Lie to me', perhaps someone else will figure it out eventually :)

Xionicist

NEST Puppet
I wish I could be of more help in doing this, as I think this is the type of stuff that brings a community like this together.

What a fantastic break this release is, and just days after discussing similar possibilities in the "Neo Preservation" thread.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
once the roms are separated to its separate data streams then we can slice each to its eprom parts

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
I'm not really that fond of Ironclad all that much as a game, but this is really cool to see it playable in MVS form at last. What a weird series of developments.

Clessy

Banned
This game blows ass and the only reason anyone knows about it or gives a shit about it is because of its obsered price. If the game was on mvs no one would of gave a shit about it by now anyways.

SSS

neo retired
This game blows ass and the only reason anyone knows about it or gives a shit about it is because of its obsered price. If the game was on mvs no one would of gave a shit about it by now anyways.

Thanks for your input. I've always enjoyed the game until you made this post. Guess I'll have to erase the ISO from my psp.

Speak for yourself. This game has been requested in cart form long before you joined this forum. There have been ongoing attempts at a Neo CD conversion. Numerous people from multiple nationalities are working on getting the rom properly converted. I don't think it would be receiving that much attention if it "blows ass" so much, as you put it.

Asure

Captain Dick,
I made an error in the date on the M1 rom, it's not a 2010 date. Compared to other games:

Ver 3.0 by MAKOTO.04/03/10 to SK (Ironclad, 1994)
Ver 2.0a by MAKOTO.03/04/05 to SK (2020 Super Baseball, 1991)
Ver 8.3 by MAKOTO.98/05/07 to SK (Shock Troopers 2, 1998)

The rom is real, nothing remastered. Beats me why 2020 Super Baseball has 03 in it. Revised in 1993 ?

SSS

neo retired
I made an error in the date on the M1 rom, it's not a 2010 date. Compared to other games:

Ver 3.0 by MAKOTO.04/03/10 to SK (Ironclad, 1994)
Ver 2.0a by MAKOTO.03/04/05 to SK (2020 Super Baseball, 1991)
Ver 8.3 by MAKOTO.98/05/07 to SK (Shock Troopers 2, 1998)

The rom is real, nothing remastered. Beats me why 2020 Super Baseball has 03 in it. Revised in 1993 ?

That's even cooler. The fact that this game has been sitting in SNKP's archives for so long, only for them to release it 14 years later is amazing. Makes you wonder what elese they have laying around.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Slow down there. Ironclad is not from Visco. It's from Saurus.

Yep my bad (I was so excited!) :P

Anyway, the hope to see visco and others developer stand still, we should recap the IP acquired by SNK, as at this point you never know...maybe a petition for more wii vc games could bring some good!

Edit:

and btw, great work everybody, thanks for all your effort!

Asure

Captain Dick,
I guess there might be a version of Crossed Swords 2, Warlocks, Pinball etc. still locked in the vaults somewhere as well ;)

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
I guess there might be a version of Crossed Swords 2, Warlocks, Pinball etc. still locked in the vaults somewhere as well ;)
Yes I hope that too!

Anyway, at the interview time we discussed a bit and this is the info I remember/recollect:

IP 0wned:

Alpha/ADK (Mystic Wands, FunFun Bros, Sunshine, Zintrick etc..)
NAzca
Saurus (Brikin'ger)

Sure NOT=
Sammy= (Dunk Star)
Taito (...)
DataEast (GhostLop)

an indeep cross-reference about protos+developer/publisher could lead to some realistic disclosure in the future maybe?
Just wondering of course, but to see Brikinger "back"..it's sure exciting!

SSS

neo retired

Well pinball and ironclad were apparently already dumped. They're being "kept safe" by proto-hoarder xacrow.

SSS

neo retired
The ROM IS OUT, and comes with a kawaks loader for those who know where to look. :multi_co:

Asure

Captain Dick,
I was sort of reluctant to post my succes, but now that other sources have started distributing this, i don't need to keep the method to convert the c-roms to myself.
If a future release requires it, here are the actual steps
1. Get wad tools etc. and also Waninkoko's swapper.exe & speksnk's gfx converter.
2. Extract the game.bin from the WAD. Requires some knowledge and an illegal-to-spread common-key.bin
3. The 64byte header in game.bin tells us what goes where and how long the chunk is.
4. Extract the C roms, one big chunk is fine.
5. Run the big C chunk thru 'swapper.exe' three times to restore the byte order.
6. Convert the (now correctly ordered) C chunk with 'NG to NGCD.exe' from CD to NG
7. Run ucon64 --n64 -swap2 on the P1 rom to restore the byte order in that as well.

SSS

neo retired
I'm getting weird bluish pixels with the one packaged with kawaks, however another version of the rom seems fine using a different emulator.

Edit: Seems to be kawaks and no the rom itself. Had to select a video blitter and they went away.

Last edited:

Asure

Captain Dick,
I've now played thru this game, and it might seem like blasphemy, but i think this basically served as inspiration for Prehistoric Isle 2 and it's nowhere near as good as the Blazing Star or Pulstar games. I think the devs went a bit overboard with the rendered gfx (like they did in the amazingly bad 'Ragnagard' game as well.)

I had high expectations as i never played the cd version actually, and many considered it a holy grail. Sure, there are some fancy graphics, but nothing really made an impression. I guess if i was younger, and this was still the 90's, i would have been blown away. Mental note to self: If you have high expectations, you can only be disapointed.

SSS

neo retired
Ragnagard isn't bad. It looks like shit but there's a great gameplay system there. It's air combos easily inspired Guilty Gear.

I'm not really that fond of Ironclad all that much as a game, but this is really cool to see it playable in MVS form at last. What a weird series of developments.

Sure the game aint that great and when you think it was going to be released 1 year after pulstar, you know why snk pulled the plug on the mvs release, this game is no pulstar substitute.

Still, the rom version has been hoarded for a long time so it was a chance to prove that their big tymer investments are on the verge of being released by snkp for 900 Wii points.

SSS

neo retired
I really like the game. May not be too visual stunning, but love the branching path selection ala Darius Gaiden. Plenty of weapon variety too.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Still, the rom version has been hoarded for a long time so it was a chance to prove that their big tymer investments are on the verge of being released by snkp for 900 Wii points.

Hahahah, (indeed).

SSS

neo retired
The game is nothing like Pulstar. I'd say it's more akin to Blazing Star than anything.