Phantasy Star II appreciation thread

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I've owned a Powerbase mini FM since they first hit the market (I waited for it for what seemed like forever when it was announced), it's a wonder of technology and God bless that db electronics dude. I pair it with a Master Everdrive and it's perfect. The difference in Phantasy Star's music alone makes it worth it. And Outrun.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I got lucky and found a Jp SMS online for 80 shipped, the PB Mini wasn't even out yet, I wouldn't even know what one goes for now. I might scoop the mini one day though, would be mucho easier than pulling the SMS out.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
Sorry for derailing the thread.

On topic, here's tonight:
3fab75c41a744327511d5492295467ca.jpg

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
SMS is really underrated. There's not many great games, but the ones that are, simply stunning.

Spellcaster is still one of my all time favorite games ever. Great mix of action rpg, shadowgate, and shmup. Good difficulty too.

My favorites are Spellcaster and Dragons Trap. I havent invested significant time in Phantasy Star yet, but I have a feeling it will be in my top 3-5 master system games.

Here's a list of all FM compatible games. Some damn good ones on there. I didn't realize Dragon's Trap made use of FM sound. Most games in english version work out of the box, but a few like Phantasy Star you have to use the JP ROM. If I remember correctly. That list doesn't tell you which ones though.

http://segaretro.org/FM_Sound_Unit

Not to derail, but you all should check this out.

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I've never really gotten terribly far in this game, but the music is just so good. Step up theme I think it was called? That was one of my favorites.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I did pick it over the NES, I have zero ragrets.

i hated walking past a game shop and seeing nes games like mario 3,ninja gaiden and tmnt the arcade game, when i had to go home to THE NINJA :lolz:.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Nido is done and Tiem is with me. Nido was much easier than Shure and I didn't get attack even remotely as much. Got tons of Meseta too.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Holy crap, just walked into the biosystems lab and got my ass handed to me. I was full geared out and lvl 10 with most everyone. Lost an hour worth of gameplay. Make sure you save EVERY time you go back to a town.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Sweet, just finished up the biosystems lab. Got tons of meseta and now have two more people to grind for. Amy and the rest of the crew is around lvl 10, ( Nei is 19 for reasons that happen later), and now Hugo was beating on my door. I don't care for him but I'll need to take him out and grind him for end game anyway. I wish I would have gotten Anna before Hugh because of her group attack she has.

Zima town is next and another area to grind in for equipment. Music is still great in this game.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Sweet, just finished up the biosystems lab. Got tons of meseta and now have two more people to grind for. Amy and the rest of the crew is around lvl 10, ( Nei is 19 for reasons that happen later), and now Hugo was beating on my door. I don't care for him but I'll need to take him out and grind him for end game anyway. I wish I would have gotten Anna before Hugh because of her group attack she has.

Zima town is next and another area to grind in for equipment. Music is still great in this game.

You're right where I am now.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I always liked the story so far from what I was able to play in this game. As well as loving the cloning system in the game. The cloning system was just cool because it made the already huge scifi elements of the game even better. The classic anime designs of the characters down to the crazy ass confusing dungeons always made this game extremely interesting.
All of this talk about PS2 is making me want to start a new game and attempt to actually finish it this time. Do any of you know about how long the game is actually meant to be without finding all the secrets?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I always liked the story so far from what I was able to play in this game. As well as loving the cloning system in the game. The cloning system was just cool because it made the already huge scifi elements of the game even better. The classic anime designs of the characters down to the crazy ass confusing dungeons always made this game extremely interesting.
All of this talk about PS2 is making me want to start a new game and attempt to actually finish it this time. Do any of you know about how long the game is actually meant to be without finding all the secrets?

There's secrets?

Shit...

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
There's secrets?

Shit...

Lol, I just assumed every RPG has secrets as far as weapons to find or places to go and grind. Phantasy Star 4 was pretty straight forward but I actually never really went looking for everything in the game outside of what the story told me.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
the only "secret" I know about in PS2 is Visiphone. ...and if you don't find it you're going to hate life.

Remember that I was playing it for almost a full week at home since I was sick and could not attend school back in 1990. I almost cried when Ive finished it after 50+ hrs. To this day its still one of my fav JRPG. But the dungeons... I had to play it with the mini strategy guide the came with the game!!!
Plus, this game was a gift from my cousin because I helped him finish Phantasy Star 1 where he was stuck at the end where you need to turn left into a secret wall...
Sweet memories!!

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Been a hectic week so I didn't have a chance to play much, but last night I was able to do a lot of catching up and now I'm at the biosystems lab. I got pretty far but ran low on TP ( :keke: ) so I had to HINAS out. Should be able to run right through the next time around, ROLF and RUDO are level 13.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Just quickly finished the Roron dungeon. Didn't even use a map, just went in to dip my feet and get some exp and meseta. Oops found the jet scooter! Time to grind for Laser gear :/

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
And the aspect ratio is fucked. And why the hell is there no Phantasy Star IV. Terrible.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Well I now have everyone that I will get in the game. When you guys get Shir, don't forget to lvl her to 10 and immediately go to the baggage room in Paseo. You might have to go in and out MULTIPLE times before she disappears. Make sure she's not over lvl 10 otherwise you won't get the Visiphone that allows you to save anywhere.
Time to grind for the best gear on Most and tackle Uzo Island. If you can make it past Uzo, the rest of the game isn't so bad.