NEO TURF MASTERS: Los Turfes Club! Score Thread.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Oli's got the NTM down - pre-heat in his baking oven at 80 degrees for 10 years and PRESTO!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yeah man do it up! I started doodling around with this but not sold on it just yet.

Los%20Turfes%20Club%20Logo%20Small_zpse7hutnmn.jpg

Not sure if I like the eagle. I was thinking something a bit classier with silhouettes, like them simple logos of today but I couldn't resist going old school. I'm thinking perhaps better nicer fonts, sharper at least. The fina logo will be small, like banner size, nothing crazy. This is just a size to show everyone and get some feedback.

Replace the eagle with a gopher.

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
Quick question: when you use a memory card, does it save after each hole or only after game over?

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
It would be awesome if someone could put videos together with commentary. Specifically talking through what you're thinking with each shot before or as you make it. A full course would be cool, but I think even just doing a few individual holes would go a long ways towards helping some of us scrubs get better. Par 5's are where I tend to completely lose it. USA hole #8 is a good example. You've got to get close to the water to the make the 3rd shot, take elevation, and possibly wind, into consideration.

Specific questions that come to mind:

• Do you ever deliberately hit over 100%? Is there any downside to it?
  • Do you ever deliberately hit the ball high/low? Pro's/con's?
  • How do you handle elevation change? It's not used on many holes, but some holes clearly have parts that are higher up.
I am ready to learn. Also I didn't know about the front/back spin in this game until now. :|

Quick question: when you use a memory card, does it save after each hole or only after game over?

Saves every hole.

Last edited:

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
I use the spin sparingly. Mostly when I want a dead drop on the green after clearing trees or water.

bustedstr8 - -12 - USA - German - Mvs - 3 credit

Spoiler:
17111361868_030ded2d50_c.jpg

17299113335_b36e64c981_c.jpg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I use it too but sometimes instead of a back spin it does a forward spin and I'm not sure how it happens. I'm not sure whether you have to hold back as you pick elevation or do you just tap it before you pick elevation. There's a lot of gray areas for me on this game, some things I'm just guessing more than anything else, especially with the grain on the green. I hit the ball high when I have trees near or when I want to slice and hook heavily, or if I want an extra push from the wind. I slice against the wind when I want a straight shot if there's some fierce wind from east or west.

I'm working on some snap shots of the hole presentation, meaning overview and green layout. My goal is to have them all in a blog, save the pics to your phones and use them as an aid. Having the measurements handy helps a lot 'cause sometimes you can't remember exactly your first hit distance and then your second shot suffers for it if you're trying to land somewhere safe, specially on a par 5 hole. If anyone wants to cooperate and posts some hole snapshots that'd be awesome, don't forget to add the course as I know it doesn't show on the overview shot.

Replace the eagle with a gopher.

I could do it, maybe if you have one that's ready to go I'll make it happen. I could also email you the PDF layered and you can go from there. I'm still not sold on this and I'm working on a pixel art rendition of a couple things from the game screen and a majestic eagle, I just love something dramatic but we can have more than one banner, why not, we could have tons! Haven't done pixel art in forever so it's a slow process, too many feathers!

Last edited:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
-18!? Fuck me.

How do you do the spin? I've seen it done before but I've never tried it. I use hook/slice sparingly. If I have a sec I might do some maps or take a few videos.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Q&A's...

Am I the only one that uses ball spin?

Not at all...

You see, NTM's just like architecture, it's all about measurement and proportions... that said, it's time for some Q&A action.

Hey Oli, what about Backspin and forward roll technics, how exactly does it work?

When you're done with the power gauge, you hold up or down to do a forwardspin (FS) or a backspin (BS) respectively and then push the A button to stop the second low/nice/high gauge. You'll screw 7 out of 10 shoots though, if you'll use it in a casual way... mostly those techniques are utilised best to revise an incorrect power gauge input, i.e. you wanted to get a 100% shot, but the gauge stopped at 95? Do the forward spin...

I can recommend to do the FS on the tee shot. The Shot Maker can do a 302 yard shot this way, instead of a 300 one. Doesn't hurt. The BS works also quite good on the fair way and won't do you any harm.

ALAS, don't use the BS when hitting on the green. This is VERY dangerous, because your ball jumps high on this lowest grass and in combination with a BS is can throw you back on the fairway or worse, even if you land in the middle of the green island. The FS is less dangerous, still, it can distract your landing on a hill that is located on the green. The ball can easily roll down. Then you'll have to deal with ground distortions...

To use or not? Try it out and get a feeling of it. It is useful (mostly for fairway shots) but is otherwise a hard to handle affair. Recommended to pros only.

Also, an imortant note! If you use a BS/FS in combination with a hook or a slice, the ball will move to the right or to the left and NOT back or forward. Shots with lower distances tend to weaken this unlikable side effect...

Also Grain on the green, is it for the green as position on the screen or from where you're standing?

Grain is a very important distortion factor to consider. Though it has literally no meaning when your about 20 cm from the hole on an even ground, it can cost you a birdie, if you don't counteract on longer distances while putting. But to asnwer your question: It is the position on the screen, which is defining.

Example: Grain bolt is showing to the upper part of the screen (North), you stand on the north side of the hole and have to put down (i.e. South). Grain is against you and if you play with the Shot Maker, I strongly advise you to do so with one slat more than recuired.

Hills on the green are also a big problem 'cause the shading sometimes doesn't feel consistent, any thoughts on that?

How do you handle elevation change?

Ground elevations on the green are the incarnation of bias when it comes to putting, since there is no wind on the green to consider. This is the most important distortion factor and remember, one knoll can offer you multiple distortions at once, depending on the position your ball is on.

Basic rule is: You stand before an elevation and have to put right across it? Then your ball will fall more to the right and you'll have to move the cursor more to the left. If the flag is beyond a knoll, that would be a double distortion. First to the right while going up, then to the left, while descending... in this situation it is advisible to do nothing at all, since one distortion evens up the other.

And yes, you can't rely on graphical appearances alone, since an elevation on hole #2 my look the same as on #8, but boy, do they play differently... you have to remember these differences, while approaching different holes.

Also I'm conflicted on the difficulty settings...

Yes, a common problem. On the AES the MVS setting is equal to 4 on an MVS setup. It is the classical arcade difficulty, where you begin quite easy and end in a coffin ;). So, basically they make you pleased with two easy rounds of what ever you play and then it's quarter muncher time... MVS is not the default setting on the AES but is necessary, if you want your records to be accepted by the international highscore coterie.

Nedless to say, I only touch the MVS setting on my setup. The wind is the crucial factor and you'll get plenty of it on the MVS difficulty. Without it's deadly influence, I could quite easily break the -24 world record, anyone could.

...how do you change region on your AES without changing bios?

It is one of the first modded consoles. Mod was done long before the era of Raz ;). 1995, by some Swiss wizards named GT Elektronik. It only has a region and a 50/60Hz switch on the back. I never opened it, so I don't know what they used to get the change right to a japanese BIOS. Probably an original japanese chip, since it could be bought separately in '95, I guess... I use it to get clean records.

...when you use a memory card, does it save after each hole or only after game over?

As PA already answered your question, just let me add that the memory card is an excellent practicing device. You play your hole and when you screw it, you just reset the console and start right on the same hole from the beginning...

...unfortunately your score is not deleted either, so this is also a very effective cheating vehicle. You can practically break any record with it and the poison remains untraceable. That is why I thought about a video. Of course not with a capcure gadget, but with an external camcorder pointed at a CRT. Will seriously think about it.

Do you ever deliberately hit over 100%? Is there any downside to it?

Yes. I fancy it sometimes. It is much easier to hit the 110% than exactly hitting the 100. So, if I'd have to hit exactly a 220, then I rather take a 200 wood and blast the 110%. I don't know of any downside...

Do you ever deliberately hit the ball high/low? Pro's/con's?

You bet. Just think of a tree some yards away, growing roots, standing right there in your way. A high hit is inevitable. Downside is, that you loose some yards a nice shot would add to your shooting distance. Also, the higher you go, the more important the wind will become. So, if you hit it low, it won't distort your air route that much...

...there's more, though. Hit the ball high on an elevation on the green and it will often not roll down, because of the growth in energy from falling down from a higher altitude. It literally gets stuck in the grass ;).

That's all folks... for now at least. The most important thing is to practice anyway... and of course the three rules to good play: Carefully. Carefully. Carefully. Now get them double digits!

Edit for typos.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Oli's got the NTM down...

Not quite, if it comes to the Pan-American Golf Championship. I may have to revise my previous statements regarding the most difficult course... if you want to claim all the glory for accomplishing a 1cc, the Grand Canyon will be a tough cookie. It took hours to come with this...

oliverclaude --15-USA-Shot Maker-AES-0 continues

OLI-USA-000.jpg

OLI-USA-001.jpg

OLI-USA-002.jpg

Although there are several occasions to scoop an eagle, it is just luck, if you can, because you'll need the help of a good breeze. Hole #11 is an exception, but Japan & Germany offer so many more occasions, where you can do it without the need for a downwind.

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
Theres a trick that works for some games which consists of keeping internal rank constant during the whole play. For this you have to play on default settings, insert coin, let timer run out and don't skip any sequence. Works only on MVS.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Grand Canyon has always seemed like the toughest course.

Agreed. It really is a pain to pull out a 1cc on this course. Maybe it is better suited for a different character? Shot Maker seems not powerful enough to get all the eagle cookies...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Thanks Oli for covering all those questions, I'm gonna work on my game some more, definitely taking notes on all of this.

I think everyone is doing real good and posting up their runs, we have a us a nice start going on, we can only go up from here to let's keep up!

By the way fellas, just in case you're not sure; No tricks and no mulligans! Keep it honest folks, no one is judging, we're all trying to get better together, plus what good is it to have a good score if you resorted to cheat the system? The Turfes way is that of shenanigans but honest shenanigans nonetheless.

Turf it up!

Edit: Scotland is looking lonely, let's go for a visit! Also, I need a bootleg! Not spending 300 bucks on a disc, screw that.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Thanks Oli for covering all those questions, ...

The pleasure is all mine ;).

And here is the best video, that I could find in the world wide. I can't imagine that this guy used any cheats, everything is too thoroughly carried out here, even brilliant sometimes. It can't be ruled out though, still, you can learn a great deal out of this playthrough...

South-Europe International.

And by the way, regarding the backspin that rolls forward... it happens sometimes when the ball gets sucked in the grass because of a fierce shot. It looses all of its spin power on the landing spot and then, still moves forward.

It is somehow a physical phenomenon; you can easily try it at home. Take a light smooth ball the size of a table tennis ball. Put it on a plain ground and push to your side from the top of it, down to the bottom with your fingertips. It will spin backwards but move forward at the same time. Admittedly in NTM, it is a bit unpredictable, when it happens... nothing sinister though ;).

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
wow, respect to OC. Some Wikimaterial there if I ever saw it. I'll sure as hell try some of your tips!

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
You see, NTM's just like architecture, it's all about measurement and proportions...

Regarding measurements, I got here another, an important one as well:

Ever so often it happens, that you can't make a risk-free approach on your tee shot with the 270 wood and 110% blaster charge, at least with the Shot Maker. Look no further than hole #11 on the Japan Classic or hole #15 on the South-Europe International as an example.

On such occasions, among others, you'll have to know, what distance the long white arrow points out, which allows you to set up your left/right direction on the hole-map to the right of the screen. Without any wind distortion, the distance is about 230 yards (from where you stand, right to the top of the arrow). Half the arrow is 115 yards and so on... a very helpful jig.

Some Wikimaterial there...

Well, I am sure, that the best and most thorough infos were provided by japanese mooks. Or cult mags like the Arcadia, Neo-Geo Freak etc. And since this game is one of the three Neo-Geo Wonders of the great Shito (next to Twinkle Star Sprites & Ninja Master's, as I recall). Maybe he could help us out here? Of course, we would be talking about Big Tournament Golf then and not Neo Turf Masters, i.g. what's left after the horrible westernization ;). Another Top Player is Fran, unfortunately, he never leaves his stunning italian blog these days... of which I am a dedicated Lurkinio myself.

The best man regarding Neo-Geo game secrets is the sublime Gemant. His contribution to this thread would be priceless. This is one of his crown achievements, next to the Neo-Arca Project: The Neo Geo Super Tricks Guide. Here are some excerpts, via wayback... check out the Turf Masters Section. He's probably the best western Neo-Geo player of all times, the most versatile for sure; just go and see the Hall Of Fame column on the n-g.com wikia... and bow down ;).

Those were the golden times of these forums, where you could meet-and-greet all those splendid players on a daily basis in almost every thread at n-g.coms. That said, it is a pity, that we can't have ourselves a time machine... oh well, now it is Back To The Future, as D'Angelo would say.

Edit for some mode of expression changes.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Purtroppo non parlo l'italiano, ma solo tedesco e inglese. :crying:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I love it! This thread is turning into a fountain of knowledge and friendly competition, you can't ask for anything better.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I love it! This thread is turning into a fountain of knowledge and friendly competition, you can't ask for anything better.

Damn, what would I do without your positive energy... ;).

Then let me take you for an experimental shot I am working on right now. Situation: Hole #9 on the Japan Classic, wind is 7 or worse in either direction, the flag is on the back of the green and the distance is 115 yards. You can either fight against the storm or... try to avoid it.

As I already laid out, it comes highly recommended to shoot low. Still, it is not enough, this particular wind will still get you. Besides, 115 is quite an unpleasent range, for which you do not have the right club with the Shot Maker. But get this, you can strike two birds with one club: Just take the 230, easily hit the 50% mark and play low.

Now my studies say, that you have to take a 10 point weaker wood, 220. The other one was still too powerfull. The ball is hit very strong and very low to begin with. Playing low on the second gauge makes it go without a parabola, nearly in a straight line. You can successfully avoid taugh winds and still have an easy hit on the first gauge. The downside of it is, that the ball will roll forward like crazy, so do the BS.

Now, this is still in the experimental phase, but could proof to be useful in the future.

I also forgot to tell you about bunkers. Needless to say, you should avoid landing in one at all cost, because once you get in... Anyway, it is very important to look how deep your ball is buried in the sand. You can find it out by looking at the picture, which is surrounded by the power gauge from the left and the altitude gauge on the right (down-right on the screen). This picture also shows you the hight of the grass your ball is on, once you're not playing in the sand box.

There are three possibilities...

1. Laying on the beach. A comfy situation, where the ball is just gently touching the sand.

2. Taking diving lessons... approx 1/3rd in the sand.

3. Yellow Submarine... 1/2 in the middle of the sandtrap.

How is it possible to leave this beachy place?

In the first situation just add 1/3rd of the distance to your shooting power. Second calls for a bit more than half and the third one you should counteract with all you've got, just to get out. You won't go far, though... Don't forget: Balls that come out of a bunker tend not to roll. They hit the ground and stay almost right there on the spot. Also, depending on how deep you're in, you won't be able to use the full range of your clubs.

By the way, jus' let you know... all my info referrs to the Shot Maker. Playing with another character requires pedantic de-briefing.

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
You can play on water on AES and maybe CD version, i think there are other differences, like no time limit.