MVS & AES NEOSD flash card... AES Version ANNOUNCED & AVAILABLE!!

BeaglePuss

Mickey's Coach
Did you guys receive your carts yet from Stone Age Gamer? I'm just curious on what your thoughts are on the overall package.

The price is good, I get a shockbox (or whatever theirs is) and insert so two less things I have to do on my end, they're in the US and they take PayPal (I know I'm stating the obvious, but typing it out and reading it helps steer me in their direction).

On the other hand I dig the label neosd came up with, and I have some spare shockboxes I can use already.

Not sure how I feel about Stone's label on their version though...
My cart arrived super fast. The shell definitely feels like a home brew release. Not exactly up to the OG standards. The label is meh, and the instructions were thin. I took the sticker and slapped it on my basement fridge.

With all that said, the game plays inside my MVU-4. I don't see the thing, and I could give two shits what the label looks like. The menu is straight forward, the load times are completely reasonable, and the cart has been 100% reliable. Given the free money I had in "tickets," the speed in which it was delivered, how user friendly the setup has been, and the capabilities of the cart, I couldn't be happier. The shock box was a bonus, but there's no reason to ever store the cart when it allows you access to (essentially) the entire library. The bad Larry is staying in my four slot.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Got my shell few days ago, agree with the overall comments, few details (mostly mold residues) makes it looks a bit cheap, but probably smoothing/polishing them can improve. I'm keeping the cart in a black MVS original shell, anyway makes more sense to me, at least for MVS.

The label sticker resolution is frankly low, logos are blurred, not sure why...maybe next batch will get a better printing?

Anyway, thanks for delivering the free shell, appreciated!

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
@ Neosd / neodev

Re: the shell and sticker.
The sticker appears to have a clear plastic layer on top.
Is this just a protective thing that can be peeled off or is it supposed to stay there?

Also:
With the save mode set to continuous, does that mean that if I leave a game running attract mode, the score data is saved every time the game cycles or only when the data changes?
Is it possible to switch the machine off at the 'wrong' time with saving set to continuous?

Thanks

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
I bought mine through SAG, mostly due to them shipping from the US not really the "package." It arrived quickly and intact, so it was worth it from that angle. The instruction insert is nice, but you're better off just coming here if you need help with it. It also comes with a sticker...This does absolutely nothing for me, but I'm not a sticker guy. The shock box is the one thing that I think is really nice to have, and it seems quality. The label is fine, imo, it just comes down to preference.

My cart arrived super fast. The shell definitely feels like a home brew release. Not exactly up to the OG standards. The label is meh, and the instructions were thin. I took the sticker and slapped it on my basement fridge.

With all that said, the game plays inside my MVU-4. I don't see the thing, and I could give two shits what the label looks like. The menu is straight forward, the load times are completely reasonable, and the cart has been 100% reliable. Given the free money I had in "tickets," the speed in which it was delivered, how user friendly the setup has been, and the capabilities of the cart, I couldn't be happier. The shock box was a bonus, but there's no reason to ever store the cart when it allows you access to (essentially) the entire library. The bad Larry is staying in my four slot.

Thanks for your opinions, I pulled the trigger and got mine on backorder from Stone Age. They said it should ship in a couple of weeks.

While I have two gold cabs, at present they are offline and in storage, so I'll be gaming on my Omega, so that was part of the reason why I was asking.

But in the end its the gaming that matters, and its not like the label is butt ugly, so I'm sure it will be fine.

I look forward to going the neosd club.

Last edited:

mistahsnart

New Challenger
I wanted to drop in and give a big thanks to the hard-working NeoSD team. Just got my MVS NeoSD from Stone Age Gamer on Friday, and it's awesome. Well done!

Chaotic Mind

New Challenger
So I decided to join this club as a new MVS owner. Mine is on back order from Stone Age. Funny how just like with the game market the MVS version is cheaper than the AES version. LOL

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
So I decided to join this club as a new MVS owner. Mine is on back order from Stone Age. Funny how just like with the game market the MVS version is cheaper than the AES version. LOL

To be fair to SAG and NeoSD: The AES version uses and extra chip (that was on MVS boards) that was intentionally left out of the console by SNK, to make it harder for people to use AES games on MVS and vice versa. Extra chip = more money.

nio

Cheng's Errand Boy
Can anybody confirme the 3.3v to 5v level translation of the flash is ok?

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Can anybody confirme the 3.3v to 5v level translation of the flash is ok?

NeoSD has stated MULTIPLE times that they designed their cart with the proper level translators. So yes.

Chaotic Mind

New Challenger
To be fair to SAG and NeoSD: The AES version uses and extra chip (that was on MVS boards) that was intentionally left out of the console by SNK, to make it harder for people to use AES games on MVS and vice versa. Extra chip = more money.

Ah. OK. Thanks for telling me that. For as much as I know about how these systems work I never knew that.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Ah. OK. Thanks for telling me that. For as much as I know about how these systems work I never knew that.

My advice... Never admit to knowing jack shit about the NG...

I just bluff my membership here.... No one's found out yet...

xROTx

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Gives me advice and breaks said advice in the same post.

BUSTED!!! LOL

Yeah... none of the Mods around here know jack shit about anything...

... Initially I thought this was a Scat Pron website...

xROTx

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Question for NeoSD, sorry if has been asked already, would it be possible to implement a "virtual memory card", actually writing/reading on the SD?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Question for NeoSD, sorry if has been asked already, would it be possible to implement a "virtual memory card", actually writing/reading on the SD?

Massi trying to put me out of business...

Man, I got 5 kids to feed.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Its possible but would require either game patching or extra hardware that plugs into the memory card slot in combination with bios mod (like unibios).

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Its possible but would require either game patching or extra hardware that plugs into the memory card slot in combination with bios mod (like unibios).

Thanks Raz..here you go Brian, time for a "Virtua-card Masta" adapter.... ;P

Sunken

n00b
Just ordered an AES version. Can't wait to receive it.

Do I have to receive it to get the serial number for accessing the downloads section (just for preparing the roms in advance)?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Do I have to receive it to get the serial number for accessing the downloads section (just for preparing the roms in advance)?
25z5m5j.gif

gunaska

n00b
We already did, but we still donエt have an aswer, aparently they answer you by postal letter ....

Anyways, if we donエt get an answer by the end of next week, we will ship him another unit.

NEOSD team

It's time to solve my problem,pls

@NEOSD