161-in-1 Game Breakdown

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The more titles on the multicart the more unstable it is. My 100-in-1 runs on Phantom-1 without any problems, aside from CTHD that requires the backup RAM.

cybersp78

n00b
Thanks for all the help. My MVS title that I bought (Aero Fighters 2) just arrived today and it plays perfectly on the converter. So maybe it is just the 161 in 1 with the power supply need. I ordered another multicart (120 in 1) to see how it runs as it seems to a common complement to the 161 in 1 and would still help me with having just one cart on business trips. But I definitely want to get some other MVS carts. One of the Metal Slugs is next on my list.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
The 161-1 cart is very, very picky with power. If it's not given enough, it will freak out and give you random reboots, errors, and sound distortion. Having the cart run solo on an MVS board gives all of the power to the cart and it generally works fine.

From my experience, I had a power supply in my big red that was starting to not perform as it should, and the 161-1 cart did all of the above, especially if there were more carts installed. After I got a fresh, new power supply, the cart worked perfectly, and continues to do so even with my remaining three cart slots being full.

This doesn't necessarily mean that your power supply is faulty, but since it's a CMVS it may not have as robust a PSU as a standard arcade setup might have.

Ive heard a lot of people say the cart won't run in a multi slot with the slots all filled. But like you mentioned I too am running a Japan 6 slot MVS cab with the 161 in the first slot and legit carts in 2-6 and have no problems with cycling through games or general play. Hope this info may help someone.

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Yup, its all about DA POWAH.

Running older games that use less juice helps too. If you have a multi-slot board crammed with "giga-power" games from '98 on up, then you're more likely to run into issues as well since those use up more power than the older games do. Its odd that the Neo's architecture either doesn't have an idle mode for carts not being played, or that if it does, it doesn't work very well.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Interesting, I have had some issues with my 4 slot, might try to adjust the +5 next time I try it.

With that said I don't actuallly play the 161/1 that much, so it's not in my 4 slot, I'm happy cycling through the 4 other games I have on MVS (Tecmo '96, Puzzle Bobble, Slug 2 and Real Bout).

Finally, I saw mentioned somewhere that the edges of the connector on the 161/1 is slightly too large, so some people have been filing like 1mm of the edges. Anyone else here do this?

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Finally, I saw mentioned somewhere that the edges of the connector on the 161/1 is slightly too large, so some people have been filing like 1mm of the edges. Anyone else here do this?
I did. It was too tight before sanding and required effort to insert. After sanding a hair off both sides it fits perfectly.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Cheers, guess I will give it a little once over with a file. I can see some black plastic residue on the edges, so it must be tighter than a gnat's chuff!

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Interesting, I have had some issues with my 4 slot, might try to adjust the +5 next time I try it.

With that said I don't actuallly play the 161/1 that much, so it's not in my 4 slot, I'm happy cycling through the 4 other games I have on MVS (Tecmo '96, Puzzle Bobble, Slug 2 and Real Bout).

I just half hazardly hit both sides with a dremel about 1-2mm probably nothing exact, the cart fits perfect and slides in and out with ease. I had a NOS mvf1z I put it in initially and I felt like I was going to break the thing removing it.
Just don't go nuts with it and if it helps mark it off with a fine tip pen so you know when to stop if you dremel or file it.

VidyaGamez

Crossed Swords Squire

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
http://www.hollandcomputers.com/store/pc/Jamma-619-in-1-PCB-Classic-Horizontal-Arcade-Multigame-Icade-Game-Board-p10514.htm

Not a multi-cart, but I recently thought about buying the Neo Geo to Jamma adapter and buying a multi-cade PCB (and maybe pick up a couple genuine PCBs of games I really like), and I came across this board that has a lot of great Neo Games that are only on certain multi-carts or not on multi-carts at all, like Sengoku 2, Windjammers, NITD, etc.
The multicart Jamma boxes are running really old versions of MAME to emulate the games though. Something to keep in mind if you go that route. They're also a lot cheaper at aliexpress (here's the same board you linked to for $81/shipped).

Last edited:

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I've got a Pandora Box 3 coming in the mail soon and I'm eager to see how it plays. I've been watching a lot of this guy's youtube playthroughs and so far it looks pretty promising. On a related note it looks like JammaBoards.com has switched to carrying the Pandora's and dropped selling of the Blue Elfs, Game King & Happy Fish boards because of poor performance. Oh and SmokeMonster is right, check AliExpress for way better deals. I picked up a 520-1 Pandora Box 3 for $69.00

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...rsion-Just-Another-Pandora-s/32272577041.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eFWDiitOpI

VidyaGamez

Crossed Swords Squire
The multicart Jamma boxes are running really old versions of MAME to emulate the games though. Something to keep in mind if you go that route. They're also a lot cheaper at aliexpress (here's the same board you linked to for $81/shipped).

Thanks for the info. Do all multi-cade PCBs run MAME? Or is it just the boxes?

Last edited:

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
I've got a Pandora Box 3 coming in the mail soon and I'm eager to see how it plays. I've been watching a lot of this guy's youtube playthroughs and so far it looks pretty promising. On a related note it looks like JammaBoards.com has switched to carrying the Pandora's and dropped selling of the Blue Elfs, Game King & Happy Fish boards because of poor performance. Oh and SmokeMonster is right, check AliExpress for way better deals. I picked up a 520-1 Pandora Box 3 for $69.00

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...rsion-Just-Another-Pandora-s/32272577041.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eFWDiitOpI

Let us know how you fare with it!

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
why does everyone use these crappy bootleg carts? the real mvs carts don't cost much these days.

cybersp78

n00b
At least for me it's traveling and it's nice to have just one cart with you instead of 5 or 10.

Although I am beginning to doubt that approach now. So I was still on my quest to get a multicart to work with my super mvs converter ii. So I picked up the 120-1. And if course with my luck it doesn't seem to work either. Does anyone have any experience with this combo? Cart boots fine. Gets me to menu of games. Can change player and difficulty but can't start game. Tried every combination of buttons. Nothing. Can't really boot to unibios screen as I thought it might need to be in mvs mode. Still nothing? Anyone have any experience? At this point I am thinking I should just get an omega and be done. Thanks.

Last edited:

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
My Pandora 520-1 arrived today. Testing starts tonight.

16973184348_e0b5d9fd45_b.jpg

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Nice dude, I'm pretty curious how well the games play on the new version since a bunch of us received shitty Pandora 2 units in a group buy.

I'd be interested specifically in how the CPS1 games play, as well as the yoko-forced vert shmups. Have fun!

ShaunRF

n00b
Well I finally got around to measuring my voltage, and it wasn't my power supply giving low voltage that is causing my issue. I wasn't able to get my probes right on the board, but tried to get readings as close to the board as I could. My first readings on the 5v line were 5.13 volts. I tried turning it all the way down, but it only went down to 5.09. This didn't improve anything with the multicart. I tried going the other direction a few times, eventually going as high as 5.48, but that didn't help either. Ugh, this is getting frustrating.

Edit: 12v is at 11.96 with the 5v turned all the way down.

Last edited:

ShaunRF

n00b
I'm an idiot, it was a bad button all along. Despite not noticing it on the two standard games I own, my player one B button was bad and making it skip past the menu screen. Don't know why I didn't go into the test screen sooner.

djscompton

n00b
OK, i have a 161 in 1 cart. The problem i'm having is i keep getting error messages like illegal instruction or address error. It happens on most games. I typically make it happen on Metal Slug 2 within a minute. Though my son and i played king of monsters for an hour and didn't have a problem. I have 2 MV-1 boards but i only have 1 cab to test them in (i want to consolize one of them eventually). I have unibios 3.1 in both of them, though i had the same basic problem when i had the stock bios in. The stock bios would just reset the cart, but the unibios shows me the error message. When i had MS2 up i tested the voltage and my power supply is giving off over 5v. I guess i'm just wanting to know if my problem is the cart, my power supply, or my boards. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Links to pictures of errors:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/quhlwlbhp3raj4d/AADfB7IvMUK1aKnew-cl6NCpa

OK, i have a 161 in 1 cart. The problem i'm having is i keep getting error messages like illegal instruction or address error. It happens on most games. I typically make it happen on Metal Slug 2 within a minute. Though my son and i played king of monsters for an hour and didn't have a problem. I have 2 MV-1 boards but i only have 1 cab to test them in (i want to consolize one of them eventually). I have unibios 3.1 in both of them, though i had the same basic problem when i had the stock bios in. The stock bios would just reset the cart, but the unibios shows me the error message. When i had MS2 up i tested the voltage and my power supply is giving off over 5v. I guess i'm just wanting to know if my problem is the cart, my power supply, or my boards. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Links to pictures of errors:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/quhlwlbhp3raj4d/AADfB7IvMUK1aKnew-cl6NCpa

Huh. Maybe you actually have a defective cart? I put a lot of hours on mine, including playing Metal Slug 1 & 2 and I'm using an MVS-2 board with the original BIOS. Are you sure you get the same error mesage with stock bios? Because the error messages in your pictures all mention the unibios webpage.