Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

slerch666

updyke,
Got it just now. Can't wait to play around with it.

PS - Memory card functionality had better be added later. In this day and age there is literally no excuse for not having it.

Wonder if they did it to try and avoid people being able to hack the console in some way?

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
Gstop, told me it would be there by 1 today, so I head over after work...then guess what..... now they say today was their 'ship date' and they wouldn't have mine till tomorrow, in not surprised..

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
I'm questioning whether or not there is a Japanese version of this as at amazon.co.jp it says "English version". However at their site for Asia it says "Asian Version". I'm lost.

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
I hate to tell you, but I ordered just a single stick instead of 2 like others. MY order was canceled without notification as well.

I sent them an email to explain I was pissed that they canceled the order, asked why they canceled the order and why I wasn't notified. Answer was: it wasn't in stock.

I replied back : "yes, that's what it says PRESALE on the item." Asked why my order was canceled and why it was still available to order on the website.

Answer: It's not available for sale. They had no stock. Then they told me to check in store.

My response back: "Here's a link to your shit, I can still order it and I did. They canceled that order as well."

Response: "you can't order it, it's not in stock. try the store."

I finally gave up. Would rather fuck a sandpaper lined toilet paper roll with barbed wire on the end then deal with them ever again. I will never shop there again. Ever.

That sucks man. Well.. TRU used to be a gaming mecca for me in the 80's and early 90's. They were the shit back then, but they didn't improve with the times.

I had a lot of great memories with them, flipping through those glossy plastic game displays and grabbing tickets for the systems, but those days are long gone.
To be honest I really only ordered from them for the 50% off deal.

They aren't worth my time and obviously don't care about their customers so
as Q*bert would say FUCK 'EM.. Err in Q*bert speak it's "@!#?@!"

my gs said it shipped yesterday and try for thursday in store pickup. and they said i was the only one who pre ordered and that mine was the only one coming into there store

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
By the way.. Anyone who was burned by Toys R Us canceling their orders - contact toysrus1@cust-help-us.com
and bitch at them for a free $50 gift code to use online.

Ordering another stick from them with my $50 code.. It'll probably get canceled again without notification. Repeat steps 1 & 2, stack $50 codes until you can buy every last Neo-Geo item! :P

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Does the handheld only charge when you have the dock turned on? There are no lights on the handheld when the dock is off.

Also, anyone know of a charger that will work on the handheld directly?

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Played Metal Slug to ~150,000 points. Died. On purpose :cry:

I can confirm, not only is there no save state functionality, there is NO high score saving either. I turned the system off then back on again before trying Metal Slug again.

Sorry.

God dammit, that's what I was afraid of. Well, thanks for confirming.

Guess I'll hope for a firmware update (?!) that supports it or something. Seeing how I waited too long on this and now retailers seem to be increasing the price on their stock, looks like I'll be waiting it out.

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
Seems the dock's nothing more than a port replicator. Doesn't seem as thought it actually provides power itself. Looks like it's just passthrough/connection converter to the handheld.

I believe I read that someone had plugged it into his PC using a regular USB mini cable and it was charging just fine.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
Seems the dock's nothing more than a port replicator. Doesn't seem as thought it actually provides power itself. Looks like it's just passthrough/connection converter to the handheld.

I believe I read that someone had plugged it into his PC using a regular USB mini cable and it was charging just fine.

Except that it can't be used while charging

AlecRob

Banned
I really want to use those joysticks on PC games. Anyone know if they are as good as the original Neo stick?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
They are not quite identical, but I would say they are just as good. I actually like the NGX buttons a little better than a regular Neo stick.

AlecRob

Banned
They are not quite identical, but I would say they are just as good. I actually like the NGX buttons a little better than a regular Neo stick.

So whats the difference? Also, would there be a way to hack the controller to work on an original NEO-GEO, or other system?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
My stick arrived from Amazon today. Came with a couple other items I had ordered over the weekend in the same box, so that was a nice surprise. I wasn't expecting it until tomorrow. Gamestop mailed my console out on Monday. I doubt it will be here tomorrow, but it might. It's shipping from Texas so it isn't that far away. Either way, definitely getting psyched to play it. Especially with all the happy gamers in this thread so far. Ironically, I planned on playing it on the TV, but it seems like everyone agrees that the handheld itself is pretty damn good. Can't wait to play with it myself.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
So far, I'm feeling ok that I hadn't ordered one. If I spotted one out in the wild, I would have grabbed it. Hearing about the video output via hdmi is enough for me.

Dragon76

Cheng's Errand Boy
That sucks man. Well.. TRU used to be a gaming mecca for me in the 80's and early 90's. They were the shit back then, but they didn't improve with the times.

I had a lot of great memories with them, flipping through those glossy plastic game displays and grabbing tickets for the systems, but those days are long gone.

Man, those were the days! No more, so sad.

toodles

Zero's Secretary
I'm having problems with mine; HDMI when plugged into the portable works (but will frequently wig out if the cable is nudged), but doesn't work through the dock. Power works and charges the battery, and it gives me the nasty warning if I turn on the portable itself, but nothing over HDMI when used docked no matter what I try. Anyone have anything similar or any tips?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
So whats the difference? Also, would there be a way to hack the controller to work on an original NEO-GEO, or other system?

The difference is very minimal. If I just had a NGX stick in my hand playing with it, I would say "This is exactly like a Neo old style stick!" However, I have many old style sticks, and can compare them side by side. The two sticks are like 95% the same though. I may even like the NGX stick a little better, the buttons have a little more spring to them than any of my home style sticks except for the modded one.

It's worth noting that although I have several "like new" old style sticks, I don't have any that are NIB, so the slight differences I'm feeling could just be comparing new parts to "like new" parts. Could be that a NIB old style stick is identical to the NGX stick.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
The more I keep hearing about this the more my excitement goes down. For me already owning a 6 slot and a PSP with t3h romz, this doesn't seem like a grand solution. Though I'd still like to try it for myself at some point.

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
This happen to anyone else?
Neo-GeoX_Damage.jpg

The bottom of the box looks like it was damaged while being assembled. One corner is correct while the other is not and has an extra "flap".
Probably just being picky, but the rest of the box is seriously scuffed like they were sliding them on a conveyor belt or something.

Just curious if this is from Amazon or if the other retailers have this type of box wear as well.

In happier news. today 12/18/12 marks the 22 year anniversary of my first ever Neo-Geo purchase.. The almighty NEO-GEO Advanced Entertainment System!
Here's proof: http://www.videogameobsession.com/n..._Gold_System_Sales_Receipt_12-18-1990-vgo.jpg

And a chubbier version of my younger self opening it on Xmas morning 1990
Neo-Geo_Unwrapping_Xmas_1990.jpg

One of these days I might even upload the video.. :)