NEOSD AES Support thread !

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
hi, yeh I've got it set to stock BIOS on the Neo SD. the pixel issue seems better, there were a couple on 1 game but when I hit reset and tried again it was fine.

I just wonder why some games are always perfect and others not, maybe its something the neosd dev guys can rectify over time :)

I agree, hopefully so. As I don't have a unibios and would love to switch bios on games. If I change the bios on mine Kizuna Encounter doesn't even show player sprites! So, it's definitely an issue - but also one I can overlook. It will be nice if it is ever fixed.

mjs0686

n00b
Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem I believe with my NEOSD.

Bare with me cause I'm new to Neo-geo.

I have a US AES system Serial# 18,XXX

NEOSD firmware version 1.06

I'm seeing some weird graphical issues, (flickering pixels like someone else mentioned (in games like Metal Slug 1-5) but also other things like a "smeared paint" effect when zoomed out in Samurai Shodown.

I don't have an AES Metal Slug to compare so I can't say for sure its the NEOSD but just thought I'd check here first. I do have an AES Samurai Showdown and it's definitely not there on my real cart.

I'm using a known good collection of the roms for my neosd that was floating around on these forums.

First image is with actual AES cart, second is with NEOSD.

SS_CART.jpg

SS_NEOSD3.jpg

Metal Slug video (hard to capture with a still image)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yibwy2lppqdoteo/MS_NEOSD.MOV?dl=0

I'm using "BIOS" for the options in NEOSD when playing games. I also tried the "Cartridge mode" and just booting that way to see if it would make a difference, same thing though.

Would appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

gamelife00

Rugal's Thug
Hi everyone,

I'm seeing some weird graphical issues, (flickering pixels like someone else mentioned (in games like Metal Slug 1-5) but also other things like a "smeared paint" effect when zoomed out in Samurai Shodown.

I don't have an AES Metal Slug to compare so I can't say for sure its the NEOSD but just thought I'd check here first. I do have an AES Samurai Showdown and it's definitely not there on my real cart.

I'm using a known good collection of the roms for my neosd that was floating around on these forums.

SS_CART.jpg

SS_NEOSD3.jpg

I'm using "BIOS" for the options in NEOSD when playing games. I also tried the "Cartridge mode" and just booting that way to see if it would make a difference, same thing though.

if you reset the AES does the issue get any better go away? the pixel issue must be a NEOSD problem as so many people have experienced it. the dev guys sent me a newer firmware which helped but still not 100% fixed

gamelife00

Rugal's Thug
just to note, from what i have experienced with the pixel issue is that it always seems to effect mainly the top layer of graphics, for example, characters and text. i'm not an expert in any of this but maybe its an issue with the neosd in regards to how that information is sent from the flashcard through to the AES

mjs0686

n00b
if you reset the AES does the issue get any better go away? the pixel issue must be a NEOSD problem as so many people have experienced it. the dev guys sent me a newer firmware which helped but still not 100% fixed

Just tried resetting it multiple times, no difference.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I noticed this issue with Samurai Shodown 3. I would see these dead pixels in at the title screen and during gameplay. I was popping in the original cart and didn't notice the dead pixels. I think I reformatted the sd card, cleaned my contacts and never noticed a issue ever again.

Which games are you noticing these issues with? I could test on my end and see if I see the same thing.

neodev

Neosd Tech
Hi everyone,

SS_CART.jpg

SS_NEOSD3.jpg

Hello, we had a report of a similar issue some time ago. We are investigating the cause. We have an idea of the cause, but as we don't have any board that shows the issue, it's very hard to test.

Please, contact us to "contact at neosdstore dot com" with your serial number and as soon as we have a fix, we'll send it to you to check if it fixes your issues.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
For the flickering pixel issue the worst game for me is neo turf masters

Yea, I just played a few rounds of Neo Turf Masters with zero Issues. My NeoSd Firmware us 1.06 R10, The serial number on my Aes is 55093. Sorry that I couldn't help but I had the flickering pixel issue before but after Cleaning the Contacts and Reformatting the SD card I never noticed it ever again.

neodev

Neosd Tech
Hi, I just tried the new firmware however it didn't make any difference unfortunately.

Ok. We are testing another firmware to try, we''ll send it to you shortly, but first, can you check if it updated properly? Please, go to options, Version. If it updated properly, the DEC version should be 0103

mjs0686

n00b
Ok. We are testing another firmware to try, we''ll send it to you shortly, but first, can you check if it updated properly? Please, go to options, Version. If it updated properly, the DEC version should be 0103

Just checked, DEC version 0103, confirmed.

Sounds good, thank you.

neosd

Neosd Developer
That worked! Both of those issues are gone now. Thanks!

i may be wrong but i think there was another user with this same issue.

If so, could he contact us so we can deliver him a solution aswel ?

Thanks

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member

Thanks

Definitely me - plz send! thx!

ubersaurus

n00b

Thanks

This was me too, you folks sent me the update file this morning and it works great! No more graphical glitches that I've noticed.

mjs0686

n00b
Anyone who has used neosd would you mind explaining how the save feature works in games?

Do the games save to the SD card?

For example when I play Metal Slug (I'm on AES mode), and run out of continues am I supposed to be able to restart the game from the level I died (like the Sega Saturn version?).
For me it doesn't do anything. I always have to restart from the beginning.

Do I need to have a memory card in the system?

Does the neosd even work with a real memory card ?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Anyone who has used neosd would you mind explaining how the save feature works in games?

Do the games save to the SD card?

For example when I play Metal Slug (I'm on AES mode), and run out of continues am I supposed to be able to restart the game from the level I died (like the Sega Saturn version?).
For me it doesn't do anything. I always have to restart from the beginning.

Do I need to have a memory card in the system?

Does the neosd even work with a real memory card ?

In order to save games you need a Memory Card. NeoSd works with Memory Card.

gamelife00

Rugal's Thug
hi neosd guys, does this new firmware you've been sending out the last few people above fix all the graphical issues? you did send me one which decreased the flickering pixel issue but I'm still seeing this problem on some games.

thanks

neodev

Neosd Tech
hi neosd guys, does this new firmware you've been sending out the last few people above fix all the graphical issues? you did send me one which decreased the flickering pixel issue but I'm still seeing this problem on some games.

thanks

No, sorry, it just fixes the issue a few users have with shuffled vertical lines in the sprites when zooming out.
We are still trying to find a better solution to your flickering issues. I have several ideas to try to fix it.

gamelife00

Rugal's Thug
No, sorry, it just fixes the issue a few users have with shuffled vertical lines in the sprites when zooming out.
We are still trying to find a better solution to your flickering issues. I have several ideas to try to fix it.

hello again, thanks for letting me know, it is much appreciated :)

mjs0686

n00b
In order to save games you need a Memory Card. NeoSd works with Memory Card.

Really?

How come in the NEOSD manual it talks about all these options about "BackRAM Save"

"AES Mode Options:
Continuous:
Yes:
Loads high score data from SD card when game loads, saves the high score data every game loop.
No:
Disables loading of high score data from SD card"

neodev

Neosd Tech
Really?

How come in the NEOSD manual it talks about all these options about "BackRAM Save"

"AES Mode Options:
Continuous:
Yes:
Loads high score data from SD card when game loads, saves the high score data every game loop.
No:
Disables loading of high score data from SD card"

The backram is a different part from the memory card. It's used by mvs games to store highscoes so they are kept when powering the board off. The memory card is used by games to save progress and allow continuing from there in the next gameplay.