What Fighting Games are you playing ATM?

ssjlance

Asked For Custom, Rank. Unsure If, I Can Be Bother
I've been playing a lot of Samurai Shodown II. Actually completely, 100% brand new to the game; I was always more of a Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter guy as a kid. Haha. I picked it out because it's cheap by AES standards and it seemed like the best entry to start exploring the series with from what I've heard others say (well, in the 2-digit price range, at the very least; V Special seems to have a good number of fans as well). The only one I've played at all is the first, and I could probably count the number of times I played it on one hand.

Very, very happy with my choice. Thinking I've settled on Charlotte as my favorite character to play as, though Cham-Cham is pretty fun too. Just need to pick up a second joystick so I can get some two-player matches going, or at least a couple of extension cables; picked up a SNES>NeoGeo controller converter when I got my AES to save on cash, figured I'd get a second official joystick later... didn't read the auction description for the converter closely enough. Turns out it's intended for CMVS/superguns with a more standard DB15 connector. It'll work on the AES, but I'll have to wait a bit until I can pick up some extension cables (which are useful anyway, so not a huge deal).

Curious to see how well the converter works. I'm concerned it's going to introduce too much lag to be fair in a one-on-one fighting game when it's up against a stock joystick, though it might at least be good enough for casual matches. That's what I'm hoping for, at least.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I didn't know there was an SNES-to-NeoGeo controller adapter. Do you know who made it?

ssjlance

It's from a French eBay seller called retroinnovation. I can't speak for how well it works, but a ~$20 gamble seemed worthwhile for my situation since I have SNES controllers laying around and was maxing out my fun budget at the time with the AES and 2 games (SSII and Magician Lord).

Mine looks a bit different than the one pictured on the eBay page.

Link.

The pictured converter has the SNES controller port at a 90 degree angle, whereas the one I received is just parallel to the motherboard (which seems preferable, anyway).

I also saw Genesis and PS1/PS2 converters from the same seller. Was kinda interested in a supergun they sell for really cheap, but yeah, it struck me as so cheap that it was concerning.

I guess in theory it's pretty simple to make a converter for any controller, since the Neo Geo pads are so simple. I'm really wanting to get my SFIV TE Fightstick wired up as a universal controller by making it go out as a DB15 for Neo Geo with an extra DB9 for the rest of the buttons, and have hacked up, piece of shit third party controllers hacked apart and wired up to act as converters for SNES, Dreamcast, etc.

Have exactly one arcade stick modded to my liking that just works on everything. Specifically, a much stiffer 2lb spring and octagon gate in Sanwa JLF; I actually like using a 4lb spring for fighting games, but the 2lb is MUCH better for SHMUPS, and it's stiff enough for me in fighters. Still a lot of stuff on the list to try out when I get around to it (longer shaft, Seimitsu buttons, larger actuator to decrease dead zone, etc.).

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
I've been looking for a NG>Megadrive adapter.

Seems like one or two guys on here were making them at one point but cant find them on ebay

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I've been looking for a NG>Megadrive adapter.

Seems like one or two guys on here were making them at one point but cant find them on ebay

you want to use a neo stick/pad on the megadrive?.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
you want to use a neo stick/pad on the megadrive?.

Same here. I sent a pm to the guy that use to make him here but he just ignored me. I would love to be able to play my Genny with my Neo Stick.

Last edited:

joala

Let me know if he gets back to you bro. I would be down for one of those puppies

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
It's from a French eBay seller called retroinnovation. I can't speak for how well it works, but a ~$20 gamble seemed worthwhile for my situation since I have SNES controllers laying around and was maxing out my fun budget at the time with the AES and 2 games (SSII and Magician Lord).

Thanks, I ended up ordering one to see if it works well. Like you said, it's cheap enough to feed my curiosity.

I've also found this one from Arcade-forge: http://arcadeforge.net/Supergun-MAK...n-MAK-Strike-Gamecontroller-Adapter::133.html

It's a lot more expensive, but if the cheap ebay one doesn't pan out, I might order one of these on a drunken impulse buy. :buttrock:

ssjlance

Awesome. Curious to hear back on how well it works. Might be a little bit before I'm able to get any extension cables to actually test mine out on the AES.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I'll be trying it out with a HAS supergun, it takes the NeoGeo port standard so it should work. I'm more curious on if there is any introduced lag that's noticeable.

ssjlance

Yeah, the lag is exactly what I'm wondering about. If it's just a frame or two, should be okay for at least playing some casual matches against my little brother until I get around to purchasing a second stick.

joala

Art of Fighting at the moment....and its kicking my arse.

Some of the AI is cheap as fuck. I hate Jack. Fat twat.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Went back to playing SFIII: New Generation after spending some time with Fighters' Impact A. Man, Capcom really had it down with CPS3. Too bad it didn't reach the CPS2 heights.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
But back in the day Jack was the easy win pick. You could ride the machine a full hour on less then a buck with Jack.

Overtime is killing my gaming time, but managed to play a little NGBC, Garou, and SFV online alone with a little 3rd Strike offline.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Awesome. Curious to hear back on how well it works. Might be a little bit before I'm able to get any extension cables to actually test mine out on the AES.

I'll be trying it out with a HAS supergun, it takes the NeoGeo port standard so it should work. I'm more curious on if there is any introduced lag that's noticeable.

So I received the SNES adapter from that ebay seller, and so far so good. It doesn't feel laggy from what I could tell in the hour or so I had with it, but I'd like to log more playtime with it to be really sure. Works well with my HAS, plugs into the controller ports and worked right away. So far I would say it's worth the purchase at $15. Like yours mine came with the straight connector, thank goodness. I might end up ordering another one now!

Thanks for the heads-up on this one. I mainly use my arcade sticks with my supergun, via undamned's USB decoders, but there are a few games I like to play with pad and the SNES d-pad has always been my favourite.

fdasta0079

n00b
Went back to playing SFIII: New Generation after spending some time with Fighters' Impact A. Man, Capcom really had it down with CPS3. Too bad it didn't reach the CPS2 heights.

Why NG and not 3rd Strike, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm currently on a SFII kick after playing it for a while at an arcade in PA last weekend.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
WW is just so slooooooow. It's really hard to enjoy. I don't think I could do it.

fdasta0079

n00b
It was WW at the arcade, but at home we've switched over to the old standby of SSFIITurbo. I need my Boxer and Dictator fix, and I like to play Fei Long as well.

joala

But back in the day Jack was the easy win pick. You could ride the machine a full hour on less then a buck with Jack.

Overtime is killing my gaming time, but managed to play a little NGBC, Garou, and SFV online alone with a little 3rd Strike offline.

Yeah but he's a cunt to play against

fdasta0079

n00b
I still play it. Sometimes get a match or two in fightcade. It's refreshing since the regular moves had a higher priority to them.

Interesting, I might have to read up on the various differences in the CPS1 versions of SFII. I kinda just wrote all of them off as "Why play this when Super Turbo exists", and never really touched them.