Samurai Shodown V Perfect/Final Edition extracted data

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I have been able to download the Samurai Shodown Collection on the PC, and successfully extract all of the data out of the large bundled files that the game uses. Currently from what I can tell, the ROM data for the games is in an unusable state to us right now. It's formatted in a way that I haven't seen before. I'm posting this up so that more people can look at the data and we can hopefully get the ROM data into a format we can use and play outside of the SS Collection.

Here is a shortened Google Drive link to the data for Perfect/Final Edition that I have extracted from the game.
https://rb.gy/hhgj3k

In addition to the ROM data for the games, I've also been able to extract all of the artwork, music, and interviews found in the game. All of these are in usable formats and can be viewed on any PC.

Feel free to discuss efforts to make this data usable in this thread. Thanks.

6/13 Update:
samsh5sp000.png samsh5sp001.png

V Perfect/Final Edition P1 ROM download:
https://rb.gy/uuwjqe

Full working English story mode Samurai Shodown V Perfect .neo:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S7v7mZNmwmWWX6u511eECPq4RoYQ0mvZ/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

neo_frank

Captain Shlong,
Thanks! Looks like we have P Rom data in samsho5_fe.cslot1_maincpu
Im really hopeful we can get full rom data out of this release, always good to fill in another piece of the NeoGeo library puzzle. :buttrock:

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Anyone know the official NGH # for this game from it's Data?

It's 272, the same as Samurai Shodown 5 Special. I've already relabelled my P1 ROM as 273 to make it distinct.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Hi Digmac, could you share the other extracted files? I'll try to suss out the sprite data splicing.
Here you go Clear Paper. This is all of the main game data for the Samurai Shodown Collection. Let me know if you need anything else. Most of the rest of the data is WEBM movies and PNG images. Again, here's a shortened Google Drive link.
snip

Anyone know the official NGH # for this game from it's Data?
Jeff Kurtz said in another Neo Geo group that the NGH number in the data for Perfect/Final Edition is 272. So it's the exact same as V Special's NGH.

Last edited:

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Thanks, Dig! Your contributions are mucho appreciated!

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
It's stuff like this that makes me happy to be part of the Neo Geo fan community. Wish I could offer more to the cause here. Imagine playing Final Edition on an MVS though... that would be so cool. I had sometime to sit down with the game last night - it's really not much different than Special, and it's pretty obvious now why they didn't bother releasing it. It sucks that they had to tone down the more cinematic/unique fatalities to make space for the cutscenes. I played the International version of the game last night and didn't see a single actual fatality.

Does anyone know if they're still in the Japanese version of the rom?

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
NGH numbering was pretty disappointing but yeah, this is great but I can see why it was pulled out of location test to never be seen again.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Im working with a team that's coming out with the next hack for the Arcade Stick Pro and currently messing with trying to get the perfect data playable.

I personally noticed that 5Special P-rom is located within the the Perfect data and was unscrambled. 5 Special data was bit-swapped and it seems that the data on Perfect (at least the stuff that matches some of the Specials roms were unsnapped). I haven't been able to find much else though and Im the wrong person to even be trying. Just tinkering.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
It's stuff like this that makes me happy to be part of the Neo Geo fan community. Wish I could offer more to the cause here. Imagine playing Final Edition on an MVS though... that would be so cool. I had sometime to sit down with the game last night - it's really not much different than Special, and it's pretty obvious now why they didn't bother releasing it. It sucks that they had to tone down the more cinematic/unique fatalities to make space for the cutscenes. I played the International version of the game last night and didn't see a single actual fatality.

Does anyone know if they're still in the Japanese version of the rom?

Region doesn't matter. The included "fatalities" only remove the weapon of the opponent. No slicing like in Special.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I found data for the actual V Perfect P1 ROM in the running exe’s memory. Now, I know where the P1 starts, but I don’t know exactly where it ends. I believe this might be the case for other separate Neo Geo ROM files, that they’re in the memory of the exe while running. Like NeoCverA, I’m not the best person to be working on this. I’m just testing things out. It’s a start, though.

hassan

n00b
TCNGOXP.jpg

Reproduced by rewriting some data.
My knowledge does not allow complete data extraction.
I wait for the complete data to be extracted.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I suppose it's obvious why there's no new NGH number. SNKP wasn't aware of the game, so they couldn't issue it a new number. Had the game been released, presumably it would have been given a new number.