Movie opinions thread (what have you seen, what did you think?)

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Dunkirk... it was a good watch....

Nolan did a good job... but not as good as hacksaw Ridge I thought...

xROTx

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Saw The VVitch last night. Perfect for a calm, cold night going in with no expectations. It's a moody slow burn with a nice pay-off. The voice on the father is something else, how have not seen this guy in more things? Turns out he was on Game of Thrones as Dagmer Cleftjaw. Bonus points for a second connection to that show, too.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
what do you guys think of the last star wars part?

See below...

There is a whole thread about what everyone thinks.

The new SW is complete shit...so much in fact, I may not watch IX when it comes out.

...moving on...

New Jumanji
100% enjoyable dumb fun...I honestly have zero complaints, it was exactly what I wanted it to be. My wife also highly enjoyed it, as did my 9 year old daughter.

It's sad...SW TLJ wasn't even 25% as much fun to watch as Jumanji...

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
The new SW is complete shit...so much in fact, I may not watch IX when it comes out.

Let the hate flow through you...

4f1.jpg

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Gung Ho (1986) -- So good, finally I found a film The Simpsons took advantage of and not reverse. The portrayed, small, Pennsylvanian town is Springfield, the village square has its goofy memorial, the village fair its white filigree wood pavilions. The store has Kwik-E-Mart qualities with glossy, neon-colored, plastic wrapped food towering right in the middle of too narrow passageways, just asking to be knocked over.

There's the fat Homer (George Wendt) and Lenny (Michael Keaton) as the main protagonist, at his side is Carl (Jihmi Kennedy). They all work at a plant that only misses the nuclear center opening's crow caw, just as Mimi Rodgers' curls only miss the blue vertical line. Instead of overzealous Japanese, there were phlegmy Germans -- the rest is Lowell Ganz, Babaloo Mandel and Ron "Homer, we're outta vodka" Howard.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
So much wrong with a fantasy piece that has no respect for the time period. Fancy embroidered clothes, cable knit beanies, stitching that was about at least a millennia before it's time period.

Characters dropping "fucks" like it's post 1950 New York.

It felt like the people who made this played Warcraft and thought they figured out the entire history thing.

Was it fun? Not really. Expected more from this Guy Ritchie directed Uwe Boll opus.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Foreigner - Chan and Brosnan made it somewhat decent. Story overall felt like a mediocre adaption of a bad novel (I haven't actually read the novel, but I can only assume that's where the shitload of ridiculous contrivances came from).

Felt like it succeeded in telling what should have been a small story, but then went and added way too much useless junk.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Watched Brawl in Cell Block 99 this evening. Never particularly liked Vince Vaughn but he gives an oddly rich, understated performance in what is otherwise a schlocky B-movie. The brutality in it borders on Mortal Kombat ridiculousness but something about the way Vince Vaughn plays it prevents it from going off the rails. Always good to see Udo Kier getting work too (even if he only really has one scene). Not a best of the year or anything but entertaining as hell.

Just finished this as well. I had been procrastinating on it for some reason (I'm lazy) but HOLY SHIT. It's a slow burn, for sure. But it plays like Tarantino directed The Raid, put it in a prison and just got done watching Story of Ricky before getting started. Cronenberg level violence that cuts away from nothing. I really, really liked it.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Been going on a Netflix binge...

Treacherous - Korean shakespear with lots of sexing going on. Its borderline trashy but the film is beautifully shot and the actors are decent enough. King who wants to have sex with thousands of women while his advisers backstab each other to gain favors.

The Invitation - Movie was very uncomfortable to watch and not know exactly is going on with a lot of weird happening. The timing of some scenes to trick the audience made it unfair but overall I really liked it.

Bushwick - Hard film to watch with how its filmed...Im not a big fan of the camera following the actors but there were some long shots that was pretty impressive. It was more distracting and never really captured the moment of the scenes. Also, I was hoping for some more powerbombs from Bautista.

The Vault - Intro was great with the Crimson Clover song while they introduce each character and setting up the heist...Kind falls apart after that when the supernatural element comes to play. Seems like a Tales from the Crypt episode made into an unnecessary 90minute movie. The ending made it worse.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
The Lobster- wow. Tailormade for me. Maybe the best film I've seen in years. Having seen the director's Greek era films I think the transition towards the west has been excellent. Nothing really has been lost in translation.
Made me want to rewatch Holy Mountain

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The Houses October Built 2 - I liked the first one quite a bit, so I was hoping for more of the same from this one. It's not good. The plot is almost exactly the same as before (not kidding, it really does just rehash everything with one flimsy twist), while somehow removing everything that was good the first time out. It's just boring, with a VERY predictable ending.

Kind of awful, honestly, don't waste your time on it.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Watched The Conjuring 1 and 2 finally. Excellent horror movies! Anyone care to recommend Annabelle and Annabelle: Creation?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Watched The Conjuring 1 and 2 finally. Excellent horror movies! Anyone care to recommend Annabelle and Annabelle: Creation?

the conjuring is one of my favourite horror movies of all time and the second one is also pretty good.

i haven't seen creation, but annabelle was just alright i thought, not as good as the conjuring movies.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
the conjuring is one of my favourite horror movies of all time and the second one is also pretty good.

i haven't seen creation, but annabelle was just alright i thought, not as good as the conjuring movies.

The Conjuring 1 is SOOOOO solid. My wife in particular is really big on horror movies and has this personal tic where she just HAS to take apart a movie if it has some logical flaws (hence I kinda don't watch anything time travel related with her - although that all changed when she saw Power Rangers Time Force). She said both Conjuring 1 and 2 were just well done and solid with no plot holes or anything else. It really surprised us and I'm hoping they'll do a Conjuring 3 in a few years.

Thanks for the rec on Annabelle. Maybe we'll check it out for shit and giggles but it's good to know that it isn't as good as the Conjuring films. Fucking amazing stuff!

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Jigsaw - not too bad. I'll watch anything in the Saw series just for the traps, and it was up to par there, and then the ending was pretty good. Kicked myself for not seeing it coming. Hell of a massive retcon job at one point, though, which felt kind of cheap.

Better Watch Out - eeeeeehhh. Weird. Really unpleasant. Meant to be, but also in the hmm, this is kinda hard to watch sense, too. The lead kid was really bad, too. Reminded me, of all things, of Jared Leto in Suicide Squad, how one major character felt like he was in the wrong movie. In Suicide Squad, at least it seemed like it wasn't Leto's fault as much as the horrific script and direction, but the kid in this was such a terrible actor, it actively hurt the movie.

Blade Runner 2049 - very heavy on style, less so on substance. Really, without the visuals I don't think this would have impressed anyone. Oh, and Jared Leto again. Someone get the guy a role that isn't all flash and zero depth.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Justice League - Honestly, I saw many of the complaints that people have with the movie and would love to see the original director's vision of the movie because the comedy failed miserably at certain points. All that said I enjoyed it. IMO it was way better then Wonder Woman (gut shots instant kills because damn we gotta get some penis jokes in there instead). Though I'm someone who liked Suicide Squad, and The Last Jedi so just might be crazy.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The Belko Experiment- Solid but predictable. James Gunn is involved so I had moderate expectations that were met. Wouldn't have been half as good without the pretty damn good casting. Worth a watch.

Under the Skin- I saw it not long after it came out and enjoyed it. Found it at BB in the bargain bin mixed among Minion sequels, MLP and Lego movies. The family in front of me was pillaging the bins and this had floated to the top. For $2.99 why not snag the BD? One of those movies I can just play in the background glance at occasionally and hear the soundtrack while doing other things.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The Belko Experiment- Solid but predictable. James Gunn is involved so I had moderate expectations that were met. Wouldn't have been half as good without the pretty damn good casting. Worth a watch.

It was pretty bad. This movie runs on the Battle Royale premise, but unlike Battle Royale, you pretty much know who is going to survive. The problem is when the viewer asks "why is this character getting the royal treatment?" Namely tattoo girl.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
It was pretty bad. This movie runs on the Battle Royale premise, but unlike Battle Royale, you pretty much know who is going to survive. The problem is when the viewer asks "why is this character getting the royal treatment?" Namely tattoo girl.

Yeah, Belko was a huge disappointment IMO. Advertised as Office Space meets Battle Royale and wasn't. At all.

And i'm with jro on 2049. After the second or third time i watched it i was bored of it. Not sure i'll ever bother with watching it through again

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Patterson. Lovely. Jarmusch homaging himself. Very soft. Driver is excellent in the film.

Whiplash. Just saw it for the first time and whilst I have certain deep seated reservations about the director and this type of direction, I was pretty much awestruck. Great acting and the last 5 minutes where memorable.

When a film ends with such class it sticks out, I find it to be a very rare thing

Last edited: