I'm too retarded for MAME

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Also how can we reproduce their behavior if we can't play them? Are the mame developers in the matrix so they don't need to play them?

I'm bringing this down to the earth as possible to make it easy to understand.

When you have a charged battery, a switch and a lamp running on the voltage's battery, you don't need to flip the switch to know that the lamp will light up.

If you put a resistor in the circuit you can calculate how much it will attenuate the light produced by the lamp, you don't need to verify with your own eyes.

Arcade boards are just complex circuits, electronics have their own rules. As such, each board is expected to work in a certain way.

When a game doesn't work means that there's something which has been done wrong and you can take either the Final Burn easy way out (make a hack so that the game works as one would expect – basically what you were saying: see what does not work and make so that it works as one would expect) or do it properly, the MAME way, by studying what the heck is wrong and fixing it (which involves studying the circuitry and how te ICs work). This also provides lots of useful info for those people repairing PCBs: it's all well documented in MAME drivers' source code.

If you want to just play games use Final Burn Alpha: it's much, much faster and easier to use than MAME and the ROMs, afaik, are more or less the same through the various versions.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I don't think FBA can be compared with MAME, not even close...at less FBA has tremendously changed their repertoire of course.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
I don't think FBA can be compared with MAME, not even close...at less FBA has tremendously changed their repertoire of course.

FBA has come a long way and to the average Joe is as good as it gets. It's used on Fightcade, which should speak volumes about its accuracy.

Of course MAME is still miles ahead, but at a great performance cost.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member

Agreed, and if you add groovymame it isn't even a contest in terms of low input lag.

Fightcade still has stuttering and microstuttering, but its the best you'll get for playing online. Hopefully when they reverse engineer the code they can update to a newer version. I've heard the creator has been making progress on it

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Groovy Mame is cool, I've seen it in action first hand running on a Naomi Uni, great setup. Personally I'm not a fan of the blur on the filters and scanlines, but there's enough options for everyone to set it how they see fit.

FBA has come a long way and to the average Joe is as good as it gets. It's used on Fightcade, which should speak volumes about its accuracy.

Of course MAME is still miles ahead, but at a great performance cost.

The FBA used in Fightcade is a bit of an older version compromised mostly of CPS1-2, Neo and a little bit of random systems, very little. MAME runs well if you know how to set it up. I did mentioned Fightcade as an easy alternative 'cause the OP (retarded OP) wants to play CPS2 and Neo mostly.