PCM Sound & Stability Fixes Multicarts - 120 in 1, 138 in 1, 161 in 1 and others.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Well at least you did a great job! They do vary in the quality of the case and label - one of mine has a perfect case and label and the boards came out easily) and the other one had a tear in the top label, a small crack in the case, and the boards wouldnt come out until I did what you've described (use a knife to scrape a tiny sliver of the plastic support post out of the way). What gets me is if they did all the stuff that needs doing to the boards they would sell more and get less returns / negative feedback etc. It must take ages to get the chips programmed and onto these boards so the other stuff is minor in comparison. I guess it's all about saving time and cost of pennies from the other components etc. Cutting corners never results in more profit.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Really impressive work getting your 138-in-1s to work without the daughter board!

I just posted a WTB thread for a pre-made dip switch assembly. They could be a really great product to offer if anyone is up for making a few.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Ok so I got several 161s here to play with. My oldest one never would play any sound so I tried it on this one first. Did not fix the issue as you warned but I tried switching my modded board to a known working one and it came on fine with sound. So I started inspecting the back board with all the Roms and noticed its a different revision then the others. Especially noticeable in this pic. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427592789.137153.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427592844.088459.jpg
You can see there is like 100 pins vs my newer boards in the same column has like 60. I was gonna mess with reflowing the whole board but it's hard to see which holes are supposed to be bridged (which several are) and which are not so I figured I would just screw it up worse. Here is a pic of the newer one for reference with the 60
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427592983.884523.jpg
So if the games play fine with no sound is there any one thing you think would be the culprit I could poke at? Also I got two neo boards setup so I'm going to test the one I did with caps and one without to see if o can catch any sound probs. I have never noticed strikers or pulstar messing up before on my 4 slot but I will try a 2 slot as well for testing. I'll report back later as to what changes I catch if any between a moddded and unmodded.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
There's a CPLD on the left hand side (not shown on your photos there) - that does the address decoding for the M1 ROM. The M1 ROM is just above it. I would check all the connectivity out around that area. That CPLD takes 4.3v from the middle of the two diodes which power the board. Look on under side of the PCB where the 2 diodes join - There should be a trace which leads off and is jumpered (probably with a tiny particle of solder) to a trace which goes to a via. Check the connectivity around there to ensure that 4.3v is getting to the CPLD. You could reflow the solder on M1 and that nearby CPLD. I presume you've narrowed it down to this board by swapping the top and bottom boards etc?

Last edited:

Westcb

There's a CPLD on the left hand side (not shown on your photos there) - that does the address decoding for the M1 ROM. The M1 ROM is just above it. I would check all the connectivity out around that area. That CPLD takes 4.3v from the middle of the two diodes which power the board. Look on under side of the PCB where the 2 diodes join - There should be a trace which leads off and is jumpered (probably with a tiny particle of solder) to a trace which goes to a via. Check the connectivity around there to ensure that 4.3v is getting to the CPLD. You could reflow the solder on M1 and that nearby CPLD. I presume you've narrowed it down to this board by swapping the top and bottom boards etc?

Yeah it's definitely that board as I was able to swap parts around to find it. I'll try playing with it some more and thanks for the suggestion as what to look into.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Another kind of related video here that I uploaded earlier:-

This relates to a cap size issue on the PROG16 boards - on an official cart. I had a glitch on my King of Monsters 2 which I was aware of around 18 months ago. I took a look at that cart yesterday and worked out what was causing it! The cap related to the SDRMPX (A47) line is the issue on the PROG16 when used with the MV-1FZ. I had to reduce it from 150pF to 47pF. I've measured the cap I took off and its all OK. It is just related to this game for me - I have other games using the PROG16 board and they are fine. It might vary between PCM chip revisions on the carts as well - I've honestly got no idea but I do know this is the only original cart I've had with the same kind of PCM issues the multicarts suffer. The other interesting aspect to this is I discovered this by chance whilst converting a boot Puzzle Bobble to Fight Fever. After I got the problem on the PROG16 with Fight Fever I then went back to look at King of Monsters. Both work perfectly now.

I really wish I had a two slot to test with here as I am not sure if these PCM issues only relate to the MV-1FZ or what.

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Great job! And, how did you get on - did it fix the PCM issues in Pulstar and Strikers etc? What MVS do you have?

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Great job! And, how did you get on - did it fix the PCM issues in Pulstar and Strikers etc? What MVS do you have?
I have no way to test it yet. I'm still waiting on the parts to finish my first CMVS (MV-1C). After that is ready, I have an MV-2F. I'll test on both eventually and post back with the results.

Update: I also recapped the electrolytic caps in my 161-in-1 since I have a big roll of Nichicon 47uF 100V caps on hand. There are four 47uF16V inside, all HDS (hitachi?) brand. My larger sized 100V caps fit when mounted at a right angle, but just barely. I'd recommend going with 30V or 50V for a perfect fit.

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I have no way to test it yet. I'm still waiting on the parts to finish my first CMVS (MV-1C). After that is ready, I have an MV-2F. I'll test on both eventually and post back with the results.

Update: I also recapped the electrolytic caps in my 161-in-1 since I have a big roll of Nichicon 47uF 100V caps on hand. There are four 47uF16V inside, all HDS (hitachi?) brand. My larger sized 100V caps fit when mounted at a right angle, but just barely. I'd recommend going with 30V or 50V for a perfect fit.

No problem! Let me know how you get on! It's a shame you couldn't test first without the caps, although they will need adding I am sure.

I've had feedback from the person that lost sound on his 2 slot when he added the caps - they were 47uF NOT 47pF! He's got some new ones coming! I suspect it will work just the same on the 2 slot.

Westcb

No problem! Let me know how you get on! It's a shame you couldn't test first without the caps, although they will need adding I am sure.

I've had feedback from the person that lost sound on his 2 slot when he added the caps - they were 47uF NOT 47pF! He's got some new ones coming! I suspect it will work just the same on the 2 slot.

I did run mine through a 4 slot, 2 slot, and 1 slot. All worked fine after the caps.

fluxcore

Another Striker
So far I've been unable to reproduce the volume issue with Strikers on my 120-in-1. I'm using an MV-1AX. Unfortunately I just sold my MV-1FZ that I meant to also test it with, argh.

I have opened up the case to check the cart and indeed it's missing the caps as mentioned in this fix, and does also have the 'misplaced' resistor in place of the cap.

You wonder if you'll ever stop hearing the strikers music once doing this test... it etches itself into your brain :D

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I think the problem is going to vary from system to system. I suspect some of the boards won't suffer from the problem at all - it might depend on where the traces run on the MVS itself, and also what chip is used - I assume they all have a dedicated YM2610 but that might not be the case, and there might be different revisions of that chip, I've no idea. What I do know is its clearly a possible issue because even official SNK carts have a cap for it (depending on the game boards used). The PROG16 has a cap which is incorrectly rated for the MV-1FZ at least. It could also depend on whether the PSU is earthed correctly or not I guess. If its not glitching on your MV-1AX I suspect that maybe that model has something different regards the YM2610 or the trace routing. I did wonder if some MVS models had a cap on the main board itself to help. Looking at the only MVS schematics I have there's no sign of any cap, but I think the schematics relate to the MV-1FZ =/ AES doesn't either, but that is pretty much an MV-1FZ anyway regards the chipset used.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Quick update to say that I had to reduce the 2 x 150pF caps in the PROG16 board to 47pF on my King of Monsters 2, and a Fight Fever bootleg I created from a Puzzle Bobble bootleg. I am thinking it could be because EPROMs were used in the V slots but it might be that 150pF caps are not sufficient when on a PROG16 when used with the MV-1FZ - no idea. What I do know is my Art of Fighting (orig) and Wind Jammers (boot) both sit on PROG16 boards and they are fine with the 150pF caps. Again I think it depends on the nature of the V ROM access on the board. It's also worth noting that the cap which made the most difference on King of Monsters 2 was the same ADPCM control pin as the multicarts (The one related to the 4Mhz clock), whereas with Fight Fever boot I found the other cap (on the slower ADPCM bus control pin - the one that runs at Khz) fixed the problem.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I've been using my modded and recapped 161 for a week now in my MV2F and everything seems perfect except for no audio in Blues Journey. This is probably something to do with my CMVS though because I'm getting missing audio in a known good bootleg cart too.

s8n187

Quiz Detective
does this fix issues like random resets in game with a 161 and Daedalus converter ?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
does this fix issues like random resets in game with a 161 and Daedalus converter ?
I would imagine that the random resets could be caused by a number of things - possibly the extra power drain of the daedalus on an AES PSU, it could also be an additional parasitic capacitance issue somewhere due to the convertor being inbetween. For the 161 in 1 I am pretty sure the 2 x 47pF caps won't fix the issue, neither will adding the voltage regulator to the prog board. I suspect a couple of 47pF caps might be required on the prog or clock lines though. I don't have a daedalus so I cannot investigate further at this stage =/ At some point I will get one, or maybe a Fusion or something if Furrtek does another run. It would be useful to understand whether the same random resets happen with the 120 in 1 and the daedalus? I would assume they do and are likely more regular? Since the cart works for a period of time it is very likely solvable with some capacitors - it's just a case of working out where to put them. My guess would be on the clocks running close to the prog address lines, and possibly on some of the address lines.

MayhemJB

n00b
@GadgetUK
I know this is a total noob question but on the electrolytic capacitors that you added does the negative leg go to ground and the positive go to VCC? By the way thank you for the videos you posted on youtube about this, very informative ;)

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
@GadgetUK
I know this is a total noob question but on the electrolytic capacitors that you added does the negative leg go to ground and the positive go to VCC? By the way thank you for the videos you posted on youtube about this, very informative ;)
No problem! Yes, the electrolytics need to have +ve connected to vcc and -ve to gnd. I fitted 2, one on the 5v rail, and then one on the 3.3v rail after adding the regulator. Better to have a smaller cap on the 3.3v rail but it doesn't really matter since theres' a large amount of capacitance already on the 5v rail. You could just fit a single electrolytic to the 3.3v rail.

MayhemJB

n00b
Does anyone know anything about this new 138 in 1 cart?

I can't tell if anything is missing yet but It does have all the Metal Slugs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and X also 6 if you count that. But I'm pretty sure that is just a hack am I right?

I'm a noobie to this thread so I don't want to put a link up and get anyone mad or thinking i'm trying to sell something. But if you look at Alibaba and search 138 in 1 you will find a green super 138 in 1 that has different games, the same company sells the regular version we've all seen.

I'm going to do some more research and see what is all there and what is missing. I'll post here when I do, unless someone beats me to it.

MayhemJB

n00b
01.KOF2002 MAGIC II
02.KOF97
03.KOF98
04.KOF99
05.KOF2001
06.KOF2002
07.CTH2003
08.KOF2004 SE
09.KOF2005 UNIQUE II
10.KING OF GLADIATOR
11.KOF2002 SUPER
12.KOF2005 UNIQUE
13.SVC CHAOS PLUS
14.MARK OF THE WOLVES
15.THE LAST BLADE
16.THE LAST BLADE 2
17.SAMURAI V SPECIAL
18.TOKON MATRIMELEE
19.RAGE OF DRAGONS
20.DOUBLE DRAGON PLUS
21.KOF94
22.KOF95
23.KOF96
24.KOF97 PLUS
25.KOF98 ULTIMATE MATCH
26.KOF99+
27.KOF2001 PLUS
28.KOF2002 MAGIC
29.CTH2003 SUPER PLUS
30.KOF2004 SE PLUS
31.KOF2005
32.MARK OF THE WOLVES+
33.RAGE OF DRAGONS PLUS
34.THE LAST BLADE 2+
35.Q DOUBLE DRAGON
36.BREAKERS REVENGE
37.WAKU WAKU 7
38.KABUKI KLASH
39.KARNODV'S REVENGE
40.NINJA MASTER'S
41.SAMURAI SHODOWN 2
42.SAMURAI SHODOWN 3
43.SAMURAI SHODOWN 4
44.WORLD HEROES 2
45.WORLD HEROES PERFECT
46.WORLD HEROES JET
47.3 COUNT BOUT
48.BREAKERS
49.DOUBLE DRAGON
50.KABUKI KLASH
51.ART OF FIGHTING 2
52.ART OF FIGHTING 3
53.SAMURAI SHODOWN 2+
54.SAMURAI SHODOWN 3+
55.SAMURAI SHODOWN 4+
56.KOF95+
57.KOF96+
58.KOF97 REMIX
59.KOF2005 EXTRA PLUS
60.SNK VS CAPCOM REMIX
61.METAL SLUG
62.METAL SLUG 2
63.METAL SLUG X
64.METAL SLUG 3
65.METAL SLUG 4
66.METAL SLUG 5
67.METAL SLUG 6
68.SHOCK TROOPERS
69.SHOCK TROOPERS 2
70.LANSQUENET 2004
71.NAM-1975
72.SPIN MASTER
73.BLUE'S JOURNEY
74.GANRYU
75.EIGHT MAN
76.NINJA COMMANDO
77.ROBO ARMY
78.MUTATION NATION
79.NINJA COMBAT
80.CYBER-LIP
81.SPIN MASTER+
82.SENGOKU 3+
83.TOP HUNTER
84.METAL SLUG+
85.METAL SLUG 2+
86.METAL SLUG X+
87.METAL SLUG 3+
88.METAL SLUG 4 PLUS
89.METAL SLUG 5 PLUS
90.METAL SLUG 6 PLUS
91.NEO BOMBER MAN
92.ZUPAPA
93.NIGHTMARE
94.SENGOKU
95.SENGOKU 2
96.SENGOKU 3
97.BURNING FIGHT
98.TWINKLE STAR SPRITES
99.VIEWPOINT
100.GHOST PILOSTS
101.STRIKE 1945 PLUS
102.PREHISTORIC ISLE 2
103.BLAZING STAR
104.ALPHA MISSION II
105.LAST RESORT
106.ANRO DUNOS
107.CAPTAIN TOMADAY
108.AERO FIGHTERS 2
109.AERO FIGHTERS 3
110.ZED BLADE
111.PUZZLED JOYJOY KID
112.PUZZLE BOBBLE
113.PUZZLE BOBBLE 2
114.PUZZLE DE PON!
115.MAGICAL DROP II
116.MAGICAL DROP III
117.POP'N BOUNCE
118.PANIC BOMBER
119.MONEY PUZZLE EX
120.GHOSTLOP
121.SUPER SIDEKICKS
122.SUPER SIDEKICKS 2
123.SUPER SIDEKICKS 3
124.THE ULTIMATE 11
125.NEOGEO CUP '98
126.TECMO WORLD 96
127.GOAL!GOAL!GOAL!
128.STREET HOOP
129.NEO TURF MASTERS
130.BASEBALL STARS 2
131.LEAGUE BOWLING
132.BANG BEAD
133.SUPER DODGE BALL
134.POWER SPIKES II
135.THRASH RALLY
136.OVER TOP
137.NEO DRIFTOUT
138.NEO MR. DO!

MayhemJB

n00b
ok sorry for the multiple posts, I am too new to be able to edit my posts. But it looks like:

Metal Slug X is added between Metal Slug 2 and 3. Metal Slug X+ was added between Metal Slug 2+ and 3+. Strikers 1945 Plus+ is missing, don't worry Strikers 1945 Plus is still there. Also Puzzle De Pon! + is missing. So ADDED Metal Slug X and X+ and took out Strikers 1945 Plus+ and Puzzle De Pon!+.

MayhemJB

n00b
No problem! Yes, the electrolytics need to have +ve connected to vcc and -ve to gnd. I fitted 2, one on the 5v rail, and then one on the 3.3v rail after adding the regulator. Better to have a smaller cap on the 3.3v rail but it doesn't really matter since theres' a large amount of capacitance already on the 5v rail. You could just fit a single electrolytic to the 3.3v rail.

I know you said somewhere what size caps you used I think it was 220uF but said that something smaller would work? would 47uF on both rails work? or what is the optimal size?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Very interesting! Does look like they revised the 138 in 1 and added Metal Slug X, then removed those two plus versions you mentioned. I wonder if they fixed NAM, League Bowling and Cyber Lip VROMs? I doubt it! Would be interesting to see if they put caps and regulator on there - again I doubt it!

47uF caps for smoothing will be OK, larger is better though.