I have made a LED mini marquee system and want to share.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
These are the pcb for the leds inside each panel. I should have them next week and then the light guide plastics a few days later.

W57192AXK1-1.jpg

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
I have two 2 slot Gold cabs that could use new panels - not sure if their setup is the same as a 2 slot Red cabinet or not. Would your 2 slot setup work with them do you know?

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
I have two 2 slot Gold cabs that could use new panels - not sure if their setup is the same as a 2 slot Red cabinet or not. Would your 2 slot setup work with them do you know?

HI, can you post a picture of the area that the mini marquee sit.I am sure we could give it a try.

gallo

n00b
HI, can you post a picture of the area that the mini marquee sit.I am sure we could give it a try.
IM002696.jpg

I saved this pic researching goldie neo geo cabs. Thought id share because im interested as well. Good work, i'm happy to hear of a great option available.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
View attachment 48054

I saved this pic researching goldie neo geo cabs. Thought id share because im interested as well. Good work, i'm happy to hear of a great option available.

it's the front I need to see, the part with the el panels, I can see them in this picture, that's the el control board in the middle.

gallo

n00b
Sorry about that, it's all I had.

Here's a video of TNT with one. He shows the el panel display around 6:30.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Sorry about that, it's all I had.

Here's a video of TNT with one. He shows the el panel display around 6:30.

That one will just have a big gap instead of the EL panels so will just need a new backing board and it will work no trouble.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Photo 28-12-2017 12 25 47.jpg
Photo 28-12-2017 12 25 55.jpg

So this is the latest version of the control board and a set of the new panels. I have enough parts to make up 100 panels and 25 control boards. I am sending this kit to a friend who is going to record the install into a 4 slot cabinet that does not have the speakers in the top so is not a big red. He will show the mods needed to fit this behind the front marquee, but the test panel I sent to him just fit.I am also sending a kit to a big red cabinet so as soon as these are working I can then look at taking order's.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
View attachment 48070
View attachment 48071

So this is the latest version of the control board and a set of the new panels. I have enough parts to make up 100 panels and 25 control boards. I am sending this kit to a friend who is going to record the install into a 4 slot cabinet that does not have the speakers in the top so is not a big red. He will show the mods needed to fit this behind the front marquee, but the test panel I sent to him just fit.I am also sending a kit to a big red cabinet so as soon as these are working I can then look at taking order's.

Hi, this looks great.

For a while I have been looking to make a stand alone 4 slot Marquee - think of it as just as large picture frame. So this might be nearer to what I want, although I will not need the pcb - the idea being to have all the panels on low illumination.

Is it possible to bypass the pcb and just plumb in a power supply direct to these panels?

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
Hi, this looks great.

For a while I have been looking to make a stand alone 4 slot Marquee - think of it as just as large picture frame. So this might be nearer to what I want, although I will not need the pcb - the idea being to have all the panels on low illumination.

Is it possible to bypass the pcb and just plumb in a power supply direct to these panels?

Yes it just needs power between 8.5 and 12v, but I would say 8.5 and 9v is best and would also keep the leds cool. You could do the same thing with 12v led strip and some diffuser in front for a lot less.

IGDetail

n00b
This is the day I brought it home (12/23/17)...

file-34.jpeg

I'm just now starting the restoration process. Two of the lights work but they're very dim (on the way out).

Can't even access my own photo yet so here's a Flickr link: https://flic.kr/p/DvkRZD (sorry if that's against the site rules, I'll go read them now).

Last edited:

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
If you could take some pictures with the front marquee cover up and also measure how much space is behind it with the el panels removed it would be a big help. I did have someone do this and he said there was 10mm between the front cover and the backing wood so it would be good to confirm this. I am sure this style of cab will have no trouble it just comes down to does it need the panels with the marquee holder or is there enough space for my panel and the original plastic marquee holder.

IGDetail

n00b
If you could take some pictures with the front marquee cover up and also measure how much space is behind it with the el panels removed it would be a big help. I did have someone do this and he said there was 10mm between the front cover and the backing wood so it would be good to confirm this. I am sure this style of cab will have no trouble it just comes down to does it need the panels with the marquee holder or is there enough space for my panel and the original plastic marquee holder.

I'll get to this over the weekend. I was thinking about cutting out a completely new backing wood in order to screw the new panels down and I could modify the thickness of that board.... however, I will measure the current setup.

Personally, I like the option of new marquee holders that are part of the LED system. It seems like a cleaner solution.

leejsmith

Cham Cham's Banana
I'll get to this over the weekend. I was thinking about cutting out a completely new backing wood in order to screw the new panels down and I could modify the thickness of that board.... however, I will measure the current setup.

Personally, I like the option of new marquee holders that are part of the LED system. It seems like a cleaner solution.

if the space is 10mm I was just thinking they will be set back to far from the front so the old plastic holder would work better, but having to much space is a nice problem to have :)