Would you play rereleased NGPC titles on the switch?

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
latest

The neogeo re-releases from Hamster helped SNK’s financial bottom line and has gone a long way towards reintroducing these titles to a new generation of gamers willing to try/support retro games. The ACA releases have been particularly successful on the Nintendo Switch.

If Hamster were to consider rereleasing some of the more popular/unique NGPC titles on the Switch, would you be interested?

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
Pick any decent shooter, those are great on the go. I’d like Ninja Commando, Shock Trooperss, both crossed swords, NTM, Baseball stars 2 and Super Spy to name a few. These are all games I’m aiming to acquire for MVS, but in the rare times I take stuff to go, I’d get them. That said, once I get around to hacking my vita, probably better to use that.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Pick any decent shooter, those are great on the go. I’d like Ninja Commando, Shock Trooperss, both crossed swords, NTM, Baseball stars 2 and Super Spy to name a few. These are all games I’m aiming to acquire for MVS, but in the rare times I take stuff to go, I’d get them. That said, once I get around to hacking my vita, probably better to use that.

What the fuck does this have to do with NGPC games on the Switch?

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
What the fuck does this have to do with NGPC games on the Switch?

Well nothing, I totally missed the “P”. Been a lot of talk about the recent releases of standard Neo Geo games. That being said, that wouldn’t matter to me, as I’ll try to get a NGP if I want to play them. But to OPs point, it would be nice for gamers to have the chance to experience them. Not sure what the cost/benefit would be on a more obscure system. Though they certainly put out a wide variety on the Wii with PC Engine games and such, so it would be cool to see them keep putting out more and more games people may have missed.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Didn’t even read it that closely. Saw reference to the switch on a Neo Geo forum and assumed.

The Neo Geo Pocket Color still belongs on the Neo Geo forum.

Read, then post - or you're not gonna last another month on here.

Back on topic -

Absolutely would buy NGPC games on the switch. Probably the entire library since I don't want to backlight mod my NGPC and I'll be able to play these decently on the go.

Last edited:

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
The Neo Geo Pocket Color still belongs on the Neo Geo forum.

Read, then post - or you're not gonna last another month on here.

Back on topic -

Absolutely would buy NGPC games on the switch. Probably the entire library since I don't want to backlight mod my NGPC and I'll be able to play these decently on the go.

Relax, I meant saw Neo Geo, and didn’t think pocket.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i would totally play NGPC on switch. I still play NGPC games anyways... so yeah.
I would not pay $20 a game tho.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'm... not sure. I still play some Pocket Color games. I still like them. But really, they were created to be a handheld alternative for not being able to play handheld Neo games. For example, all things being equal, I would never even once choose to play NGPC Fatal Fury over actual Real Bout 2 if they were on the same handheld. It just would never happen. The one thing NGPC Fatal Fury would have over, say, Real Bout 2 on PSP or whatever is the NGPC clicky stick. But with both games on the Switch, that minor advantage is out the window. Same shit analogue stick for both games. So why would I choose a version of the game that plays worse, looks worse, with fewer characters?

But at the same time, all that being said... If they did get released for Switch (and I had a Switch by that point), I'd probably be a dummy and buy a lot of them anyway.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I would absolutely buy them, no questions asked.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Ionno im a fucking anal asshole about aspect ratios and I hate playing 4:3 games on non 4:3 screens. So no I wouldnt. Rather just play it on the real deal. Shit or if SNK made a "classic" ngpc with a bunch of the best games included and a modern lcd screen.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
They'd fuck up the stick so there'd be no point to it.

Yup its true. As much as people hated that Neogeo X thing it shows that even SNK themselves cant do better than some 3rd party hacks these days. Hell if the X would have had a 4:3 screen on the portable i'd almost be happy with it.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm... not sure. I still play some Pocket Color games. I still like them. But really, they were created to be a handheld alternative for not being able to play handheld Neo games. For example, all things being equal, I would never even once choose to play NGPC Fatal Fury over actual Real Bout 2 if they were on the same handheld. It just would never happen. The one thing NGPC Fatal Fury would have over, say, Real Bout 2 on PSP or whatever is the NGPC clicky stick. But with both games on the Switch, that minor advantage is out the window. Same shit analogue stick for both games. So why would I choose a version of the game that plays worse, looks worse, with fewer characters?

But at the same time, all that being said... If they did get released for Switch (and I had a Switch by that point), I'd probably be a dummy and buy a lot of them anyway.

I would disagree on a few points. The arcade fighting games simply provide the arcade experience. The pocket fighting games had mini games, challenges, unlockables, and various story modes. I'd rather play NGPC MotM than SvCC any day. The NGPC fighting games track your progress, and they are easier to master. I feel like I'm continually progressing through a game with the NGPC fighters. Actual arcade games stop as soon as you walk away.

I'm not sure how NGPC would look on a TV. I'd want to keep the Switch in portable mode. Those pixels blown up to a 70" TV probably looks terrible.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
They'd fuck up the stick so there'd be no point to it.

Y'know, it'd be cool if the big N released a special edition joycon with the NGPC click stick on it. I mean, it'd never happen, but it would be cool.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
With the news that NGPC Samurai Shodown! 2 will be hitting the switch as an early bonus for the new Samurai Shodown, I was curious if the demand for much of the ngpc library was still out there. Though much of its library could be said to be just portable versions of bigger neogeo titles, there were a lot of great original games and spinoffs that would be right at home on the switch and its massive library of indie and bite-sized games.

Last edited:

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
I definitely would, especially if the ports supported wireless VS play. I loved playing MOTM against a friend via the link cable.

As SouthtownKid mentions, some games are just trimmed down ports of the originals (like KOF-R1&2, Fatal Fury FC, Neo Turf Masters, Magical Drop...), but others such as MOTM, SS2! or Metal Slug 2nd are completely different experiences in comparison with their big brothers, that are well worth playing today. Not to mention NGPC originals, such as Beast Busters, Cardfighters Clash, Sonic Adventure, KOF Battle Paradise or Faselei.

Would love to see them all together in a compilation though, in the style of the SNK 40th anniversary collection.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
I don't think I would. Part of the fun of the NGPC (for me, anyway) was being able to play portable versions of Neo games. The ability to play ACTUAL Neo games on the Switch removes the need for NGPC games on that console. Card Fighters Clash is one exception, since that game is awesome and unique to the NGPC.

Actually, I have been trying not to buy a Switch, but I have been seriously tempted by the ACA releases, plus all the shmups that have been coming out, and tate support.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Would you eat reheated food? Not sure if I would, I don’t usually do leftovers.