AES 3-6 strange issues

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Recently my old power adapter on my Neo Geo broke while I was using it. I got a new one, but there were many issues. Some games, like kof '96 just wouldn't work, while others like 2001 did. I got another power adapter and most games work now, but sometimes they don't and bring up an garbled mess with a watchdog error. The, if I put games in that work, it doesn't work anymore, even without a cart it glitches out. But, after a while some carts work again. I have no clue how that power adapter breaking while it was in my Neo affected it. But, I have replacement parts, and have recapped the board. Is there any idea what is wrong with this?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
measure the voltage at the controller port with the game plugged in. Anything lower than 4.75v will cause issues, of course 5.00-5.10v is preferred.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Which replacement PSU did you go with?
I have the top gear one which I used in the past and it worked fine until one of the plugs broke off, then the other one is some other ac adapter that says it's for retro game consoles, but is huge and measures at outputting 10V which is a lie, as I mesured it outputting 16V, so I got my money back for it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
How many amps is the current PSU rated at?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I assume this is an AES that says it needs the NEO-POW3 on the bottom?

So the issue is I don't have enough current? I'll get the new power supply, but I still wonder how a 1 amp power adapter worked for me for 2 years. Is this just rate, or did I damage something internally?
That isn't enough current. It may have been supplying a little more than marked.

Last edited:

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
I assume this is an AES that says it needs the NEO-POW3 on the bottom?

That isn't enough current. It may have been supplying a little more than marked.

Ah okay, well I ordered the American 9V adapter.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Ok, now I got the correct power adapter, but it still has issues. When I don’t put a cart in and turn it on, I get a white screen, which shows all tests passed. But if I put in a cart, then I get a watchdog error. Does anyone know what’s wrong?

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Ok, now it mostly works, every once and a while it will watchdog but most of the time it's fine, but now a new issue arose. Now, my sideo mod produces tons of checkerboarding. Is there a way I can go fix this?