Neo Geo X Gold System details and price announced!

HitokiriRyu

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Look up Ingenic USB tools. It's unfortunately in chinese.

Sweet, that means android/linux installations over the original firmware should be a breeze. Im gonna see if the original firmware can be read as soon as I can find the usbtools zip for that chip.

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
It's too bad Tommo didn't put as much love into the video output as they did the packaging (on the system, not the game card). They really could have made this an all in one, lower cost solution for players wanting to play Neo-Geo on their HD displays.

I predicted this back when 480p was announced. We all know how SD content looks on HD, and it seems they also introduce other visual artifacts as well.
That being said I'm still keeping my system. It's a nice throwback to the good old days for me and the style and packaging are nearly worth it alone.

And again, if you want quality Neo-Geo emulation in 1080 HD (with scanlines, instruction manual, online co-op, save states, JPN/ENG switching, Jukebox music playing) look no further than Neo-Geo Station on the PS3.
They were selling them all for $5 a game and the 1080' 1:1 video scanline output on my 55" HDTV is, in a word, beautiful.

Here's some samples. The blurring is from my camera phone, not NGS.

NG-Pixels-Baseball-scanlines.jpg

557109_426028254111150_411275889_n.jpg

581558_423359637711345_1210980173_n.jpg

NG-Pixels-BaseballStars2-01.jpg

I'm wondering if Playmore/SNK signed an agreement with Tommo not to release more NG Station games until a certain time. Sadly, It's been a very long time since they've released a new one.

toodles

Zero's Secretary
Found these drivers for the 4770 from 'Android3.2_Novo7_Basic_1029', but they seem to be 32bit only:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wrzlolt89djy39t/XFA2K8-rvS

Heh, I found the same thing. INF file doesn't match the device, and the inf itself says 4740, not 4770, along with the VID/PID differences. Thanks though. Im still hunting for the 4770 DFU driver, assuming it'll work with the usbtools executables I got in the same package.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
Heh, I found the same thing. INF file doesn't match the device, and the inf itself says 4740, not 4770, along with the VID/PID differences. Thanks though. Im still hunting for the 4770 DFU driver, assuming it'll work with the usbtools executables I got in the same package.

Nuts. Couldn't get that driver to work, but the other inf in the non-specific folder had 64bit compatible drivers for the 40, 50, and 60. Just not the 70.

c0dehunter

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I can not believe the inferior image either on the hand-held's LCD or when connected through HDMI (worst).

You can immediately tell, it is a 3rd party, non Japanese product. The docking station insertion designed seem very amateurish.

Overall, the hardware build looks cheap, compared to Sony or Nintendo hand-held gaming devices. I would still keep it, for its collectible value, but honestly, my PSP-1000 displays a much nicer image, using emulated software.

p.s. the RESET button ,does not work. any ideas why?

8man

Administrator
Just received the package from Amazon US.. wow, that was fast :eek:

Just got my Amazon order too. :drool:
Gotta love Amazon, FREE shipping, and it got here first!!

Target and GameStop orders still haven't arrived,
and I paid expedited shipping. :mad:

6 more NeoGeo X's to go :drool_2:
Ho, Ho, Ho, Merry Christmas!!

You guys are Awesome!
Can't believe the handheld has already been taken apart,
Different Joystick testing...

NG.com ROCKS!!:D

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
Just got my Amazon order too. :drool:
Gotta love Amazon, FREE shipping, and it got here first!!

Target and GameStop orders still haven't arrived,
and I paid expedited shipping. :mad:

6 more NeoGeo X's to go :drool_2:
Ho, Ho, Ho, Merry Christmas!!

You guys are Awesome!
Can't believe the handheld has already been taken apart,
Different Joystick testing...

NG.com ROCKS!!:D

I canceled my order with Gamestop long ago and re-ordered with Amazon, which I received, but the box is damaged and badly scuffed up.
It looks like Amazon slid mine across the warehouse floor. :(

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
FYI. Neoqueef linked to this thread. If you were wondering.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
Ninja Master's SD seems to be 66/63MB, according to testdisk.

Last edited:

c0dehunter

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I am cancelling my 2nd Neo Geo X (first one was ordered through Target.com), since this console is NOT all that. Besides I can use the money for the 2nd unit and get a real AES (have a guy who is selling AES and 3 games for $350, although the console is Japanese).

I thought I would keep the second one for a rainy day (if my first unit got damaged) or sell it for extra value, but the more I play with this, the more I see it is not all that great. My PC which is outputing a true 15hz, and is connected to my Sony 20" PVM looks amazing.

toodles

Zero's Secretary
I grabbed the ingenix loader and got it running on linux, but it doesn't allow the reading of firmware, only the uploading. Only thing of use it's provided is that its a V1 version of the JZ4770

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I wonder if shorting those bootsel pads to ground would do anything, (excuse my noobishness here) maybe there's multiple locations for a bootloader or firmware to load from and shorting these let you load from another location. Pure speculation. Maybe connect a serial cable to those RX/TX pads and see if a terminal comes up.

Also, someone post some internal shots of the stick!

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I canceled my order with Gamestop long ago and re-ordered with Amazon, which I received, but the box is damaged and badly scuffed up.
It looks like Amazon slid mine across the warehouse floor. :(

As it stands today, maybe. The system isn't really anything more than it was being sold as... a fun little Neo Geo handheld with a bunch of games built in. That being said, we already have people trying to crack the thing open and learn its secrets. I can see this becoming a much cooler system pretty quickly ;) I can't wait to see how this develops. I can also see people doing mods to the dock in the future to get better output. Remember, we're still at the very start of this little device. Who knows what it will be doing in a few months.

toodles

Zero's Secretary
I wonder if shorting those bootsel pads to ground would do anything, (excuse my noobishness here) maybe there's multiple locations for a bootloader or firmware to load from and shorting these let you load from another location. Pure speculation. Maybe connect a serial cable to those RX/TX pads and see if a terminal comes up.

Also, someone post some internal shots of the stick!
Possible, but the first thing to do is check the datasheet for the 4770. Betcha the Boot0-2 are labelled as such in the datasheet.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
Gstop, told me it would be there by 1 today, so I head over after work...then guess what..... now they say today was their 'ship date' and they wouldn't have mine till tomorrow, in not surprised..

Effed again---

I go in today and they say "MAYBE TOMORROW" effn gamestop, shoulda done amazon....

Mr. Zurkon

Zero's Secretary
Effed again---

I go in today and they say "MAYBE TOMORROW" effn gamestop, shoulda done amazon....

Same here :/ Hoping it arrives tomorrow. I'm going to have some time to wait while a car gets brakes done, I'll probably just have to bring my hacked PSP instead, lol.

FA-MAS

Kula's Candy
Got mine today from Best Buy, F Best Buy. Thanks for basically shipping it in a plastic bag. Every box corner is really jacked.

Aside from that, I love the portable itself. Though I am disappointed in the dock. It feels cheap, and I honestly don't like the way the portable docks into it. Plus using composite and stereo audio cable, I get very low sound. I've got it plugged into my receiver where every other device is at a normal volume, but docked, this thing is super quiet. I'll see how it is with HDMI passing the audio, maybe it's better.

I also don't like that when docked, the output is forced 16:9 in the menu. That's OK cause when in game you can switch it with your TV to 4:3. But when you go back to the menu, it's now squished. Inconsistent. I would have preferred they design the menu as 4:3 and allow the handheld to stretch it. Then when it's docked, you could go either way with the TV's aspect.

Also the joystick I'm disappointed in. I've read here that the joystick quality is pretty much on par with the original AES sticks. If that's the case, then the original AES sticks feel cheap too. Once there's a way to charge the handheld individually, I'll probably just pack up the dock and joystick and forget they ever existed.

Aside from that, the portable's great.